Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

pilly wrote: »
    Is there any truth in that? My mother used to always say it was too cold for snow? :o

Do what I did, ask her to explain the abundance of snow at the South Pole where the temp is about -50C.

I think the old wives approach was that if it was still and frosty, say -5C it wouldnt snow, which of course was due to high pressure. Most of the snow we generally see in Ireland is in marginal conditions of cold with low pressure, at say +1 or 2C, so from that point of view in an average year that could be accurate enough. Next week's forecast is an entirely different scenario though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sjb25 wrote: »
    Just looking at my roster for next week Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday fan fecking tastic :(

Could be more than a couple of snow days in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I think we have our first casualty. Over excitement is a killer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

pilly wrote: »
    It's probably people who don't normally light a fire would stock up in case electricity, gas or oil goes.

Good point, but I was always thought fail to prepare, prepare to fail

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I was hoping today to update the forecast in the OP with something more subtle and comprehensive at least until Wednesday. Looks like it will have to wait until this evening as there has been a bit of a wobble in at least two of the models overnight to something more benign and potentially less cold for us.

It's a minority and unlikely to verify but it's an outcome that can't be discarded.

Hopefully this will be resolved this afternoon and i'll update the forecast then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Reggie. wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing how people never care about the army till something like this happens and even then it's less that admirable comments

The person was being sarcastic, if you see the quote that was being replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Colder day in Cork , wind has turned generally easterly now , this is the onset , wind chill from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Temp struggled to 6.3c at noon here in Waterford City but has dropped to 5.7c with winds gusting to 40km/h. Feels like 1c taking into account the wind.
    Imagine when the real cold arrives how its going to feel.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Yeah,the Surface cold advection from the UK snowfields and beyond plus our own snowfields eventually I would expect would want to be factored into the conversion of those low 850’s next week,
    you might be adding a lot less than 10c to them to get the surface temp

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Gaoth Lag gone bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I was hoping today to update the forecast in the OP with something more subtle and comprehensive at least until Wednesday. Looks like it will have to wait until this evening as there has been a bit of a wobble in at least two of the models overnight to something more benign and potentially less cold for us.

It's a minority and unlikely to verify but it's an outcome that can't be discarded.

Hopefully this will be resolved this afternoon and i'll update the forecast then.

I feel like the surgeon just came out of the room to say there were some complications and my loved one might not make it.

Thoughts and prayers xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Whatever happens it's an excuse to stock up with grub and grog anyway.

Will be used whatever happens, either in celebration or commiseration.

All appendages crossed for Kermit's next forecast......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

In afraid this time Kermit I can’t like your post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

lalalala.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Don't forget your feathered friends during the cold spell, I will get some supplies for birdfeeders at the weekend. Also, keeping a birdbath or some shallow container of water clear of ice is important for them too. Use lukewarm or warm water maybe to keep it from freezing for longer of you cannot be around during the day.
    Its unbelievable the amount of birds that have arrived in our garden in the last week.
    They would nest under the down pipe over the garage from about the end of March but they are flying in and out now. Finches have arrived in great numbers as well.
    Up to now there would be around 10 to 15 coming and going but yesterday I counted at least 25 at 3 bird feeders.
    There was also a lot more in the trees,so they must feel that very cold weather will be on the way.
    On a different note beware of our big and small four legged friends.
    They can sence cold before anyone else can, and they will do anything to get in doors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Come Wednesday night, when cold is here but no snow, someone will make me feel worse by saying "on well, it's actually too cold to snow"...

PS: I truly hope I am wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Could be more than a couple of snow days in there

Not for me I will be in work I work in the emergency services so I will either get in or be collected :( will be a “fun” few days for us but I’m still excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

pad199207 wrote: »
    In afraid this time Kermit I can’t like your post ;)

Look at the chart he posted in the technical thread,no need to worry about anything "benign".

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Don’t like the sound of this :( downgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just when Met Eireann come on board Kermit decides to throw a spanner in the works. If his fears are proven right we may as well have ker-Met.ie as the national weather service.

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hardly benign Kermit. The ICON is still showing cold and snow for those of you who can't see it yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I can't cope anymore lads, the emotion of it all. I had just bet someone here in work a tenner that we would have snow that lasted at least a day and I hate losing a bet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

davidsr20 wrote: »

If ECM and GFS follow then it may be a small downgrade but still seriously cold and tbh I think Kermit more means he won't post his apocalyptic forecast until he has a little more confidence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,150 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

image.php?url=0Ezj1OoTp0

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

I knew it.  Too good to be true.  Feck it anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

image.php?url=0Ezj1OoTp0

That video is hypnotising.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

torres9kop wrote: »
    I knew it.  Too good to be true.  Feck it anyway

Nothing to worry about....the cold is coming!

Just a little wobble in details between apocalyptic and cataclysmic...that's all. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I’m expecting a full house suite of monumental cold and snow across all models this evening because the dynamics have not changed,the cause of next weeks weather is relentlessly growing and relentlessly edging in our direction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about....the cold is coming!

Just a little wobble in details between apocalyptic and cataclysmic...that's all. :pac:

That’s so reassuring DOC ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

/\ they all have the same info /\, interpreting it is the name of the game. It's an art built on science to a degree.

Funny how some people ramp in the face of the official data and get a thank you for it, yet if they downgraded on the basis of the same numbers they'd get told off :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement