Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

gabeeg wrote: »
    There's an outside chance that this could go on and on and on until we all hate snow.

gens-0-0-348.png

cut to two days time where models show us in the middle of the purple area (-20 part) and boards goes into meltdown mode

EDIT: 500th post woo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The 18z is unrelenting, reload after reload.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ok someone wake me up please. I've been dreaming long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Vibe I have is a boy who cried wolf reaction to this event. So many yellow and orange warnings. Risk of being ignored until too late to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

There's an outside chance that this could go on and on and on until we all hate snow.

gens-0-0-348.png

f73c87f184735cc41dbc4f8310f2c0033d5e6d1c1aee49dab8b00caec4d975ed.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

ixus wrote: »
    Vibe I have is a boy who cried wolf reaction to this event. So many yellow and orange warnings. Risk of being ignored until to late to prepare.

Don't worry, man, I've already started screaming at people in blind panic

Ensemble mean. This is like a dream.

gens-21-1-162.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Don't worry, man, I've already started screaming at people in blind panic

Yeah, the first texts went out to the inner circle already. The ones who "know" me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Can I join the party,was out beach fishing for the evening, north westerly wind blowing in my face...
    One kamikaze dogfish.....

This is a nice homecoming.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Tis like a big freezing fist there coming over to kerpow us with cold......

• Advertisement

Mean at +180, -12c 850 hpa temps touching the South east, never seen that on a mean, nevermind at +180! :eek:

gens-21-0-180.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

382.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

pauldry wrote: »
    Ah here

Is someone playing tricks?

These charts couldnt be real.

Funny how RTE weather were afraid to even mention snow.

Its ok RTE. Just say white stuff

God don't use those words around be RTE, completely different meaning :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Mean at +180, -12c 850 hpa temps touching the South east, never seen that on a mean, nevermind at +180! :eek:

gens-21-0-180.png

This thread needs a soundtrack.

I vote for the Rocky 4 soundtrack...

A real snowy movie Rocky 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Or that siren noise from Kill Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The one difference is the set of parameters this time are unique(Unlike other past failed easterlies); a recording breaking sww; followed by a second warming which has seen off the canadian vortex,and the mjo going to phase 8.
    It just might be one of those one in 50 years events that comes to pass. Even if there is a downgrade from what we have seen tonight,i think we will still get an easterly with some snow.
    Some wisdom there. I made the mistake in 2010 of not counting on the warm sea surface temperatures, but then the temperature gradient seems around the same!

We have to hope that the high situates itself in such and such a way even still. Not-so-M.T Cranium mentioned signs that this is on track for snow lovers here, it's crucial the high builds itself as close to Iceland as possible, or at least the ridging from Scandinavia doesn't head for us.

I've a good feeling about this, even if Anglesea will up taking IoM's place as the swearword of choice on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

How about my Snow slideshow which looking back on it, could have been an awful lot better.

The words that roll up the screen is a poem I wrote about my love for snow and the childhood memories of 2010.

Don't enjoy that, well...... thematically appropriate, let it snow :D

sryanbruen wrote: »
    How about my Snow slideshow which looking back on it, could have been an awful lot better.

The words that roll up the screen is a poem I wrote about my love for snow and the childhood memories of 2010.

Eh... thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snowmaggedon Rhapsody

Is this real life
    Is this just fantasy
    Weather charts all blue
    To escape from reality
    Open your eyes
    Look up to the sky and see
    Im just a model
    Predicting snowfall
    Will the Easterly come
    Easterly go
    Bring with it
    Lots of snow
    Wake me when it happens
    Nothing else really matters
    To me

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

oh I can't decide if I really want this to happen or not happen. One part of me is thinking about building snowmen and enjoying it all and the other part is thinking about power cuts and not being able to go anywhere because the hill is treacherous and no phone or broadband and uht milk and coal and how to charge a phone from a car battery and how many gas cylinders to buy and how many tins of soup to get in and where I put my thermals and how long can you charge your electronic cigarette battery off a laptop for and all those November '18 births and oh my god I really hope we get decent snow.

The next few days are going to be torture. I'm banning myself from this thread for as long as I can bear it. (which might only be a few hours but I have little resistance to temptation :D) I actually feel like printing off some of those charts so I can pin them up on my wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Snowmaggedon Rhapsody

Is this the real life
    Is this just fantasy
    Weather charts all blue
    To escape from reality
    Open your eyes
    Look up to the sky and see
    Im just a model
    Predicting snowfall
    Will the Easterly come
    Easterly go
    Bring with it
    Lots of snow
    Wake me when it happens
    Nothing else really matters
    To me

Hahaha brilliant pauldry! :pac:

I hate the gap between the 18z and the 0z

Goodnight, see yiz in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nobody mentioned the ME outlook which was updated at 22:30 (ish)
    Extended outlook: Some uncertainty exists, but indications suggest it will be very cold with frosty nights and there is a risk of some wintry showers, especially in eastern areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »

Briliant video. A good choice of song too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

minibear wrote: »
    oh I can't decide if I really want this to happen or not happen. One part of me is thinking about building snowmen and enjoying it all and the other part is thinking about power cuts and not being able to go anywhere because the hill is treacherous and no phone or broadband and uht milk and coal and how to charge a phone from a car battery and how many gas cylinders to buy and how many tins of soup to get in and where I put my thermals and how long can you charge your electronic cigarette battery off a laptop for and all those November '18 births and oh my god I really hope we get decent snow.

The next few days are going to be torture. I'm banning myself from this thread for as long as I can bear it. (which might only be a few hours but I have little resistance to temptation :D) I actually feel like printing off some of those charts so I can pin them up on my wall.

Another mistake I made, back in 2006, was printing fantastical charts almost like an heirloom. I have the excuse that models were less accurate then, but reality only really hit when the pictures of snow in Athens appeared. 2010 was that bit more special after all the false starts 4/5 years ago :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

FWIW, the Express and the Star in the UK for Tuesday morning are front page headlines warning of at least a week of freeze with temperatures of -22C and snow as well

The express has a reasonable page online that gives a lot of detail behind the reasons for this cold snap, pretty much along the lines of the discussions here about the impact of SSW,.

I don't normally post links to UK paper pages, but I will on this occasion, only in that there are a lot of maps and related discussion rather than just a sensationalist rant that is way off beam.

So, if you are of sound mind and not easily frightened, try going https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/921055/UK-cold-weather-forecast-snow-BBC-Met-Office-weather-freeze

The star is less detailed, but confirms that the SSW is behind the trend that is coming

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/682912/uk-weather-forecast-polar-vortex-maps-sudden-stratospheric-warming

For me, the significant facts are that the UKMO is very much on board with what's being suggested.

It will come as no surprise that the comments by readers on the Express page are pouring significant doubt over the whole event, due to how warm it is over the UK at the moment. To quote one comment,
    "been expecting this since the SSW occured last week, for a change Madden and Corbyn might just be right, well they've cried wolf many times so law of probabilities says they will be right every now and again ... even the intelligent weather sites are in agreement!"

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It surprises me that anyone who would consult the Express could be so sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

268 comments in 7 hours...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Good god... -14c 850 temps into the country with -15c over wales- the Irish Sea would turn into one hell of a snow machine

216_mslp850uk.png

ECH1-216.GIF?19-0

What a chart...Those uppers would yield a sea temp/upper air temp difference of about 23/24 degrees C...just imagine :eek: And look at the wind direction - its ENE, perfect for central E Leinster :D Very positive tonight even though there could be some more bumps along the road...6/7 days to go!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement