Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees for firewood

• 19-02-2018 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Folks I am looking for trees for firewood I have my own chainsaw and trailer and I am based in the limerick area I am looking for hardwood trees in particular if anyone is selling would very much appreciated of if any can offer some advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭893bet

No one will let you near their land realistically. Not worth the insurance risk. In either case they would have no insurance as zero policies cover chainsaw work unless stated and costs £££££.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭893bet

Great first post though! Lurker alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Razor12

893bet wrote: »
    No one will let you near their land realistically. Not worth the insurance risk. In either case they would have no insurance as zero policies cover chainsaw work unless stated and costs £££££.

893bet I appreciate the advice but If I can get the timber delivered in lengths to my place that could also work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Razor12 wrote: »
    Folks I am looking for trees for firewood I have my own chainsaw and trailer and I am based in the limerick area I am looking for hardwood trees in particular if anyone is selling would very much appreciated of if any can offer some advice

Timber isn't much good for burning until about 18 - 24 months after it's been cut.

zulutango

I appreciate the response, I have some already in stock for this winter coming, that is why I have put the post, I am hoping to cut for winter 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

zulutango wrote: »
    Timber isn't much good for burning until about 18 - 24 months after it's been cut.

Classic know it all boards response.

The lad obviously knows what he's at in relation to firewood.

Easy, tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Razor12 wrote: »

http://www.limerickandtipperarywoodlandowners.ie/

You could try with a group like that or your local Coillte manager.

The Growers group linked above(I'm not in that area nor am I a member) will be made up of people like me; small forestry owners who every few years have a lot of wood. Try and get a load of lengths delivered from them or Coillte/Local haulage contractor.

If you have a stove there is no point buying or hardwood; on a per kg basis at the same moisture content there is very little difference between different woods. A tonne of ash at 15% MC has very close to the same energy as a tonne of spruce at 15% MC. Wood is typically sold by volume so people get a bit confused.

Buy the wood fresh and dry it yourself; if you can stack it on runners in an exposed place it will dry pretty well by next Xmas. If you can split some now and have somewhere with good drying that would dry quicker.

Get yourself a horse which can hold a few log at one time; way saver and a time safer.

Buy wood less than 150mm/6" in diameter so it doesn't need splitting;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Treepole wrote: »
    Classic know it all boards response.

The lad obviously knows what he's at in relation to firewood.

Ah go easy on him, ZT often likes to answer a question that wasn't asked

What's with the aggression, lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    What's with the aggression, lads?

:confused:

ford 2600
    Thank you for a very much for informative response and effort, gives me a few options really appreciate it
    I will join the group etc. and hopefully, I will get sorted, you have also provided good detail on the type of timber that i was not aware off
    I was always cutting hardwood.

Advertisement