Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a house - looking at security system options

Options
  • 19-02-2018 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi All,

Building a new house in a rural location. Looking at installing a security system. Wondering what are my options. Allowing that I was willing to pay to have a good system, what would you suggest? Plan to have internet available if that’s any help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you planning on wiring the house from scratch?
    The 2 systems we would recommend would be GSD & Siemens Vanderbilt.
    Both have many options with apps and IP monitoring and self monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

If money is not an issue then do not look beyond HKC, they tick all the boxes and are the recognised benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

kub wrote: »
    If money is not an issue then do not look beyond HKC, they tick all the boxes and are the recognised benchmark.

Is HKC that dear? I haven't check prices in a few years but i thought they would have been considered one of the cheaper brands:confused:

tweek84 wrote:
    Is HKC that dear? I haven't check prices in a few years but i thought they would have been considered one of the cheaper brands

No they are not the most expensive out there but a certain poster will have his usual pop at HKC when their name comes up.
    Especially when it comes to self notification

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

tweek84 wrote: »
    Is HKC that dear? I haven't check prices in a few years but i thought they would have been considered one of the cheaper brands:confused:

They would be a little dearer in the long with recurring charges.
    I am not having a pop at anyone and I'm not trying to advertise the one brand all the time.
    I am offering options on a couple of different panels.
    The best advice is shop around & do your research.Lots of good systems out there that all conform to the same standards that would be a benchmark across the industry.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote:
    They would be a little dearer in the long with recurring charges. I am not having a pop at anyone and I'm not trying to advertise the one brand all the time. I am offering options on a couple of different panels. The best advice is shop around & do your research.Lots of good systems out there that all conform to the same standards that would be a benchmark across the industry.

There is only one here who constantly brings up and recommends Vanderbilt and GSD, constantly linking to their sites and in a way advertising them.
    I don't know of any other installers here who need to do that with HKC.

Then copies and pastes HKC's polling charges.
    Yes they do all comply with the same standards but none of the brands you mention offer as many solutions as HKC do and that is all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

HKC are the bench mark and are the ones the others are playing catch up to, even copying their name. Vanderbilt are good but don't offer the same spec as HKC.

Are the cheap? No. You get what you pay for OP. Not sure what vanderbilt's warranty is but HKC have a three year warranty but GSD only have one year. That alone should tell you something.

GSD only have one year. That alone should tell you something.

Have never had a problem with warranty replacements at 2 plus years.
    Ask one of your own staff who only got something sorted under warranty last week.:D:):)

Amazing what people will post when they are trying to promote a single product.

• Advertisement

They might sort you out but their warranty is 12 months is it not?

Both panels he has in have both gone faulty and needed to be replaced. I believe you're having a lot of trouble with the panels as well.

Edited as I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

I wish you wouldn't presume as to problems we are having with things as your usually wrong.
    I'm not aware of the warranty being 12 months.No.
    Unbelievable how defensive this forum has become over one brand. And this is the club that complains about commercial agreements and alignments. At least I'm recommending a couple of systems all the time.
    As I said before , its amazing the lengths some people will go when the want to install what they want .

But your happy to bring up about our business..:rolleyes:

Now that you mention social media, I seen something interesting this week....................
    Nah!!!! Won.t go there.

I'll tell you what. I'll make a deal with you. You stop bringing up your concerns with our work and I'll stop mentions of how your staff like GSD :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Some unsuspecting poster asks for advice and gets sucked into the usual home security pissing contest.

kub, you started it by 'anticipating' pops at HKC.
    KoolKid, like a lot of products in this day and age, you may get looked after beyond the stated warranty, but if it is officially a year, then that is fact. There is absolutely no reason to reference people who you may have real world knowledge of that are connected to fred funk }{. This is not acceptable.
    fred funk }{, although it was provoked, you can't speak for Koolkid and issues he may be having with these units.

Feel free to post your own industry experience and knowledge, but just give over on the usual BS please guys.

but not while you're aligned with them.

Unbelievable how you will actually post blatant lies to defend the one brand you wish to promote. Yet I don't accuse you of commercial alignments etc.

But yet again, for the record I will publicly state this...

I , nor the company I work for , have any commercial alignments or agreements with Global Security or any other manufacturer nor have we any commercial interests in Global Security or any other manufacturer.

Apologies Delly. I will leave it at that , but I am not prepared to have these continual false accusations made. I will furnish yourself or anyone else with proof of same if my word is not good enough.

Lads could I query 1 thing please? That is there is European directive that all electronic equipment should have a 2 year warranty.
    Are GSD aware of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok lads even after Delly posts a mod instruction about detraining the ops thread we still have to have the last word.

Koolkid and Kub, normally an infraction would apply
    However it would be Koolkids final strike and it think that it was somewhat provoked.

So I'm not taking any further action here.

If you want to ask a question about warranty issues open a thread on it.

I'd you want to ignore a mod and get the last word in then don't return to the forum.

I will remind some here again. This forum is a split from the DIY forum.
    It is not a place for alarm installers to bash eachother
    You have a private forum for that.
    So keep it off the public forum please.

The next round gets bans. Some are approaching their last one.

Claiming something was provoked will not be accepted as a precursor for unacceptable posting.

Report the post. Delly and I will deal with it along with anyone trying to drag others into a session.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement