Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for 4/5yr old boy

Options
  • 19-02-2018 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

What toys are your 4-5yr old boys into? At a loss as to what toys to buy. Also some good games for turn taking like pop-up pirate etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

yellow hen wrote: »
    What toys are your 4-5yr old boys into? At a loss as to what toys to buy. Also some good games for turn taking like pop-up pirate etc

My 5 year old daughter likes digging stuff with shovels & buckets, junior monopoly, buckaroo, uno ( card game) , colouring with stencils, lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Imaginext toys are fantastic. The playsets especially have amazing playability with special features in each one that are fun to explore and they are so durable and sturdy. They do different ranges like a Firestation, space and aliens, DC characters, Power Rangers, Pirates, Egyptian, wizards and mythological creatures, Dinosaurs, Monsters Inc etc. Though all the sets, vehicles and characters fit well together. My 5 year old collects them and can easily spend hours and hours a day creating different scenarios with them.
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/construction-and-cars/imaginext/c/SM06010211

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

reminds me of a story of a bachelor lad who went shopping for a present for his niece. goes to the shop assistant "I'm looking for a birthday present for a little girl". The assistant asks him "What age is she?" and he goes "oh, about four and a half..."

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bananaben

The shark bite pirate ship from Argos is a winner here - think it is imaginext.

Mine also are getting into Lego

Turtles / any action figure. Art stuff.

Dressing up outfits - firefighter, doctor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’d highly recommend “Dobble” - great game for taking turns, works on concentration etc
    It’s a great laugh, my 4 almost 5 yr old loves it, in fact we all enjoy playing it (especially the grandparents!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My four, almost five year old, loves jigsaws. And colouring. I got a great thing a few years ago for colouring for my older child but he loves it now too called a Crayola Light Box I think. It basically turns any picture into one they can trace and then colour. He loves it because his pictures come out great.

We’ve also a great game which would involve taking turns called Crocodile Dentist. The kids think it’s gteat and the reason I love it is because there’s no loose parts to be lost around the house!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my just 5 year old is a lego and transformers addict. Board games are always awesome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks all. I'm going to get Dobble as it looks like fun. He already has a cartload of lego. I get utterly overwhelmed when I set foot in Smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

He’s only four - don’t waste money on “toys” - wrap some silver tinsel around a small branch... he’s got a gun or a wand or a magic sword or a spade or a ...
    (Lego is always a great choice)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not a toy......but a book.

Cant go wrong for a four year old boy or girl with this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-Farmyard-Tales/dp/1409562921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519723516&sr=8-1&keywords=Farmyard+Tales

Such classic tales as "Pig Gets Stuck", "The Naughty Sheep" and every child's favourite ...... "Barn on Fire".

Even just saying "Barn on Fire" is great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Lego is what our four and a half year old loves. Books wise, he loves all William Bee books. They're really quirky and unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

lazygal wrote: »
    Lego is what our four and a half year old loves. Books wise, he loves all William Bee books. They're really quirky and unusual.

I've never seen those books before but they're right up his street! thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Monopoly junior is a great game, my little dude loves it. UNO is another great one. We have uno extreme, but it’s a bit of a gimmick- the plain deck of cards is just as good, and you can get a junior version too I think.
    He has a couple of hot wheels sets too, which he loves, but they’re very out of sight out of mind I find- he could totally forget they exist for very long stretches!

Advertisement