Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extreme cold weather from Feb 25th on, and now St. Patrick's Day on...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Getting up this morning and thinking not looking forward to what will greet us next week when we're heading out to farm. So any good ideas to make life a bit easier if the cold snap hits? My main worries would be frozen milk lines, calf auto feeder out of action due to frozen lines, tractor diesel icing, and water freezing to water troughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Looking at Wednesday Thursday and Friday below freezing all day over most of the country with heavy snow falling and piling up across the east and other areas

Dam is a technical term for how cold air is from cloud to ground
    Basically at 515 dam or below it is freezing the whole way

Mr cranium wrote this just now on the weather forum bringing on nervous laughter with me
    He is an amusing writer but this is quite serious
    Yes a big problem next week keeping water pipes flowing not to mention snow

The ground truth back in Russia is fairly convincing, there's some place called Holm just east of the Lithuanian border sitting at -30 C now, it's close to where the current analysis has the 504 dm thickness contour, which is supposed to cross Britain and get into Ireland (perhaps 507-510 may be the best we'll see but still) at some point during this merriment. I don't expect it to maintain -30 C but there's a fair ways to go before that parcel of air stops being wintry and if it then gets saturated, well ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

Looking at Wednesday Thursday and Friday below freezing all day over most of the country with heavy snow falling and piling up across the east and other areas

Dam is a technical term for how cold air is from cloud to ground
    Basically at 515 dam or below it is freezing the whole way

Mr cranium wrote this just now on the weather forum bringing on nervous laughter with me
    He is an amusing writer but this is quite serious
    Yes a big problem next week keeping water pipes flowing not to mention snow

The ground truth back in Russia is fairly convincing, there's some place called Holm just east of the Lithuanian border sitting at -30 C now, it's close to where the current analysis has the 504 dm thickness contour, which is supposed to cross Britain and get into Ireland (perhaps 507-510 may be the best we'll see but still) at some point during this merriment. I don't expect it to maintain -30 C but there's a fair ways to go before that parcel of air stops being wintry and if it then gets saturated, well ...

Coal,timber briquettes and firelighters check.
    Hot air fan in garage to keep pipes warm check.
    Farm machinery and sledge ready to break ice in troughs check.
    Bales of hay ready for outwintered stock check.
    Weekend shopping for essentials check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I says wrote: »
    Coal,timber briquettes and firelighters check.
    Hot air fan in garage to keep pipes warm check.
    Farm machinery and sledge ready to break ice in troughs check.
    Bales of hay ready for outwintered stock check.
    Weekend shopping for essentials check.

Whiskey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    Whiskey?
    Brandy :)

Base price wrote: »
    Brandy :)

The commute will be fun next week

Condoms

Condoms

For whom?

For whom?

The mice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

For whom?

Pat Mustard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I'm basing it on nothing other than my gut but I have a feeling it's going to be too cold for much snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It's amazing how much floods have gone back on farmlamd and rivers have dropped with all these dry days.

Concrete on yards dry, road verges. Real sign of spring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Condoms
    Its important to layer up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The mice

Sleeping bags Fr. Innocent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

K.G. wrote: »
    Its important to layer up
    Put two on, to be sure to be sure:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Muckit wrote: »
    It's amazing how much floods have gone back on farmlamd and rivers have dropped with all these dry days.

Always noticed that just before a cold spell - the ground dries out ... I suppose its a change in atmospheric conditions. Reckon we're in for a bad one next week.

Put two on, to be sure to be sure:pac:

The old two bagger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Muckit wrote: »

Yes River Corrib is going down fairly fast which is always a good sign given the lake and catchment area it needs to drain.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I hope you are listening to George Sunsnow because this is going to cripple some farmers next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What counties will be worst affected?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What counties will be worst affected?

All counties will see extreme cold, Eastern, Southern and Northern Counties most at risk of snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Heading towards the icy conditions as we speak. Just boarded here in Dublin for Copenhagen. Interesting to see a fleet of shiny New Hollands with snow ploughs and loading shovels parked up along side of the runway. Most be about 20.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Heading towards the icy conditions as we speak. Just boarded here in Dublin for Copenhagen. Interesting to see a fleet of shiny New Hollands with snow ploughs and loading shovels parked up along side of the runway. Most be about 20.

Yeah they come for WR SHAW in offaly. Hired in for 6 months every year and operated by a crowd in Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I had 2 meal salesmen missed calls on the phone first thing this morning.
    I've ordered a load for Monday hopefully before this weather digs in.
    Nice to know people are concerned about their customers.

Now I could do with some milk filters and teat spray too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Yeah they come for WR SHAW in offaly. Hired in for 6 months every year and operated by a crowd in Meath

They certainly do.

Thankfully for me there was no snow last year at Dublin airport, so mine still had the wrapping on when I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Nice to know people are concerned about their customers.

'It's an ill wind'.....and all that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Let's leave this thread about the weather. Ta.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

There’s a likelyhood now I expect of significant snow anywhere on the island before next week is out
    Particularly severe at times in the east if you are under a shower train off the Irish Sea
    That’s where showers form in a line over the sea and keep going in the same direction so if you get one you get them all and it could snow all day whilst 10 miles up the road gets none
    Next day it’s 10 miles up the roads turn and you get a reprieve
    That type of thing

If you get a chance could you move them posts out of this altogether thanks

There’s a likelyhood now I expect of significant snow anywhere on the island before next week is out
    Particularly severe at times in the east if you are under a shower train off the Irish Sea
    That’s where showers form in a line over the sea and keep going in the same direction so if you get one you get them all and it could snow all day whilst 10 miles up the road gets none
    That type of thing

How far in land would it travel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you get a chance could you move them posts out of this altogether thanks

That type of thing

The weather app we're using and has been accurate all along doesn't agree with you any way, Like the child that cried wolf too many times it's hard to take these red alerts serious now so we'll just take what comes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

wrangler wrote: »
    The weather app we're using and has been accurate all along doesn't agree with you any way, Like the child that cried wolf too many times it's hard to take these red alerts serious now so we'll just take what comes

If there's egg on face it will be spread very thin. All weather models and both Met Eireann and the UK Met. office are singing the same tune.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    If there's egg on face it will be spread very thin. All weather models and both Met Eireann and the UK Met. office are singing the same tune.

It's like the guy with two watches that never knows the time, we've too many ''weather forecasters'' now.
    Ours says -2 to +2 from now till next thurs, I'll live with that. I don't think anyone has a clue after that

Weather apps on phones aren’t worth a shoite
    But as people here do not want the information I am giving
    I’m out
    Go fend for yourselves :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I’m out
    Dont throw the rattle out of the pram some of us are listening to you!!

I’m out

Jeez these weather people are very finnicky...

I've been following this thread from the start informing OH and family members of the updates. I prefer to hear worst case scenario so that you can prepare as best as possible. If wcs does happen then it doesn't come as a shock.
    As an aside I think kowtow could open a temporary ski school with all those ski's as his disposal :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hometruths

Neither a farmer or a weather expert but I lurk in both forums, and I'd say give George a break!

Farmers are cropping up in the weather forum giving out saying please think of the farmers before you get too excited about snow, and then weather guys trying to help farmers in here getting are knocked for scaremongering!

If he's wrong so what? But if it turns out as bad as George reckons and his posts on here have helped even one lad cope a little easier next week then good for him I say.

schmittel wrote: »
    Neither a farmer or a weather expert but I lurk in both forums, and I'd say give George a break!

Farmers are cropping up in the weather forum giving out saying please think of the farmers before you get too excited about snow, and then weather guys trying to help farmers in here getting are knocked for scaremongering!

If he's wrong so what? But if it turns out as bad as George reckons and his posts on here have helped even one lad cope a little easier next week then good for him I say.

Credibility goes when it's wrong a few times, Irish forecast has been wrong a lot this year to the point i ignore it now and go by the phone. right through the last year we could know when to get a afew dry hours to work at sheep or when to get them in by if you wanted them dry for the next morning.....and he say apps are only shoite

We are... :D
    Right I’ll ignore what I think are the ridiculous comments then and I’ll continue to drop in
    If you don’t want to know about what’s ahead this week,don’t read any further
    I’m only the messenger anyway
    Try as I might Ill never be able to make the weather
    You may deal with whatever nature throws at you

AFAIK, weather apps are automated, no human input. Fine for short term stuff but highly unreliable in an already hard-to-predict longer term.

I'm like BP, I'd prefer to be ready for the worst ever even it only rarely happens. That way I know I'm prepared for what will happen.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Don't mind them George and please keep posting,keep up the good work

wrangler wrote: »

haha weather apps :D:D:D

greysides wrote: »
    AFAIK, weather apps are automated, no human input. Fine for short term stuff but highly unreliable in an already hard-to-predict longer term.

I'm like BP, I'd prefer to be ready for the worst ever even it only rarely happens. That way I know I'm prepared for what will happen.
    My brother serviced our rarely used submersible pump (on Wednesday) after I plugged it in and it didn't work - a problem with the float thingie. Anyway, I wouldn't have thought about checking it only for this thread. If the water pipes freeze we can run a couple of electrical extension cables to the old well and pump water to ibc tanks. If the electricity goes then we will have to haul buckets.

Was talking with a friend about this over the last few days. He's making a few preparations, nothing serious, a lot of them things he needed to do anyway. Now whether this plays out dire or manageable those jobs are done anyway with no loss.

And I have a gas hob in case the ESB goes anytime in the future.

Adam Grant

Right I’ll ignore what I think are the ridiculous comments then and I’ll continue to drop in
    Can you do spoilers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I don’t know what to make of this beast from the east. Yes it will be cold. Sounds like the wind will cut you in half. But will we get to -14degrees ? Accuweather says -2 to -5 and the met office in England saying yellow snow warning on Tuesday, but only in the east half of their country. Good to be prepared, but I’m still hopeful we’ll escape the worst of it.

I don’t know what to make of this beast from the east. Yes it will be cold. Sounds like the wind will cut you in half. But will we get to -14degrees ? Accuweather says -2 to -5 and the met office in England saying yellow snow warning on Tuesday, but only in the east half of their country. Good to be prepared, but I’m still hopeful we’ll escape the worst of it.
    We hit -14c the night before Christmas Eve in 2010. I know because I was driving home (in the jeep) to NCD from Longford after collecting my eldest brother so he could spend Christmas with Mam. The roads were treacherous and he knew he would struggle driving his car so I did the honorable thing and collected him.

Windchill will be much lower than air temps, so while it may be -5c the windchill could be -10c, some weather models are showing windchill as low as -14c later in the week, throw that in with some heavy showers and I can tell you young lambs will be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Base price wrote: »
    My brother serviced our rarely used submersible pump (on Wednesday) after I plugged it in and it didn't work - a problem with the float thingie. Anyway, I wouldn't have thought about checking it only for this thread. If the water pipes freeze we can run a couple of electrical extension cables to the old well and pump water to ibc tanks. If the electricity goes then we will have to haul buckets.

Must get the red lamp for the pump house now you remind me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I like to keep an eye on weather related matters. I regularly visit the weather forum.
    But I much prefer yourself George to give me your considered view on it in here.
    Thanks for your effort and keep up the good work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement