Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extreme cold weather from Feb 25th on, and now St. Patrick's Day on...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Villain wrote: »
    Windchill will be much lower than air temps, so while it may be -5c the windchill could be -10c, some weather models are showing windchill as low as -14c later in the week, throw that in with some heavy showers and I can tell you young lambs will be in trouble.

Thankful here I pushed lambing back to 1st April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Another jaw dropping post from Mr Cranium and not just for the east either
    Orange and red warnings likely through the week
    Red will close schools

See below
    This is the forecast that I would derive from the current model suite, take this more as a map interpretation than an actual forecast update from me (so not to be cross-posted in forecast thread, if this looks to be on track by morning I may have wording like this in the morning update):

UPDATE __ Friday 23 Feb 2018 __ 9:30 p.m.

Latest guidance continues to emphasize potential for heavy snowfall as well as record cold temperatures for this time of year. The full measure of cold arrives in the east on Monday afternoon and quickly overspreads the country, so temperatures will be falling sharply on Monday night to reach about -7 C inland, -3 C east coast by Tuesday morning. Scattered outbreaks of light snow at first will turn to streamers of heavy snow impacting mostly central Leinster on Tuesday with 5-10 cm potential. Temperatures will struggle to reach 1 or 2 C near the east coast and -1 or zero inland on Tuesday. Tuesday night may be even colder with some lows approaching -10 C in the north and west, -5 C east and south. Heavier snow will develop over larger areas by Wednesday and will continue at least intermittently through Thursday, Friday and Saturday as winds back into the northeast and become quite strong at times (50-80 km/hr). Each day has the potential for 10-20 cm snowfalls in some parts of Leinster and Munster as well as east Ulster, more like 5-10 cm for most of Connacht and Donegal. A few places could have much less snow near the west coast but this is not a certainty. Temperatures during this snowy episode will tend to remain in a narrow range of -1 to -4 C during the snow but if there are clear intervals at night could fall to -10 C or lower. The net effect of the intermittent outbreaks of snow will probably be a peak cover of about 20 to 40 cm over some parts of the inland southeast and Dublin-Meath, and 30 to 50 cm over parts of the east-facing slopes in south Dublin and Wicklow. Combined with the winds and blowing snow, there could be blizzard conditions especially in open areas of central Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

joanna said after the 9.30 news that there could be red warnings next week so kudos to george for giving warnings earlier even though some were quick to dismiss him

Bear in mind now that initially a lot of the country may avoid this snow and I think the west and northwest will dodge a bullet but as the week goes on,there’ll be several bullets to be dodged so the chances of being hit by one or two of them grow
    The showers hitting the east coast wherever they hit will go well inland eg a big shower hitting Dublin could be in Athlone as a medium sized shower an hour or two later
    The only difference is it would have 2 inches in Dublin and down to one inch by Athlone
    The issue is it being dry snow (as opposed to wet Atlantic snow) it will all settle

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Trying to prepare as best I can:
    Stocking up on meal tomorrow or Monday
    Tractors are refuelled
    Major jobs for the week will be done on Sunday/Monday
    Hair Dryer and Kettle ready for freezing pipes
    Must fill a big tanker with water and prepare a dozen empty lick buckets for carrying water if needs be
    Red lamp for the pump house working

Might get salt for some of the yard or a snow shovel.

• Advertisement

Actually that’s a very very good idea,the red lamp!
    Assuming there’s no power cut :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Actually that’s a very very good idea,the red lamp!
    Assuming there’s no power cut :O

Same goes for the kettle and hairdryer

Ah yeah ,I’ve a genny should that happen but say power goes during the night,water in pipes would freeze quick enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭nhg

Copied from this mornings update from M T Cranium on the Weather Forum:

Saturday, 24 February, 2018

Forecasts for Ireland

ADVANCE ALERT for severe wintry weather conditions setting in on Monday and lasting at least through most of next week and perhaps returning at times later in March. The situation this morning remains unchanged although if anything the potential for snow has yet again increased. The cold spell will provide numerous opportunities for heavy snowfall to develop and spread across large parts of the south, central and northeastern counties, and some chances for snow will develop in drier (less snowy) western counties. Some very cold readings will probably happen after the first round of snowfall by mid-week, and then return later if skies clear and snow remains on the ground but the cold factor will be more of a combination of unusually low daytime readings (continuing at night) and strong winds.

TODAY ... Cloudy and rather cold with some partial clearing later, although west coast likely to remain mostly overcast and remain a bit milder all day with highs of 8 to 10 C, while staying rather cool further east with highs 5 to 8 C. Winds south to southeast 40 to 60 km/hr (mostly southeast but some southerly breezes at times near west coast).

TONIGHT ... Partly cloudy, cold, some local frost, although breezy enough and dry so that frost may be slight. Lows -2 to +3 C.

SUNDAY ... Sunny intervals, lows -2 to +3 C, highs 5 to 8 C. Winds increasing at times to southeast 50 to 80 km/hr.

MONDAY ... Variable cloud, turning sharply colder during the day, possible snow or sleet showers by late afternoon or evening near south and east coasts. Morning lows about -1 C and afternoon highs only 3 to 6 C east, 5 to 8 C west. Winds east-southeast 50 to 80 km/hr.

TUESDAY ... Windy and very cold with risk of snow developing across eastern and southern counties, morning lows -5 to -2 C, afternoon highs -1 to +3 C, winds east to northeast 40 to 70 km/hr adding a chill factor (feeling like -6 C). Heavy snow is likely to develop late in the day across Leinster. 5 to 15 cms possible there.

WEDNESDAY ... Windy and very cold with widespread snow, some of it heavy at times. A few sunny breaks in north Connacht, Donegal and north Clare, but flurries could invade there too, in winds east to northeast 50 to 80 km/hr. Morning lows generally -4 C but could be as low as -8 C in a few parts of the northwest. Afternoon highs -4 to +1 C. Snowfalls of 10 to 30 cms are possible in Leinster and 5 to 20 cms in some parts of Munster, inland southeast Connacht, and much of Ulster except likely less in Donegal. Near blizzard conditions are possible, and severe disruptions to travel may begin to intensify (with an extension of that in the following outlook).

OUTLOOK ... The first three or four days of March could see a severe snowstorm developing, as most guidance shows a strong Atlantic low trying to push away the cold air but failing in that, looping around south of Ireland for up to two days before drifting away to the east. That will bring an extended period of snow, strong northeast winds 60 to 100 km/hr, and continued very cold temperatures in the range of -3 to +2 C. There could be brief mixing of sleet or ice pellets into this storm near the Wexford coast but at the moment it does not appear likely to change the snowfall over to liquid forms anywhere else, amounts could be extreme in this scenario, so as this is not a confirmed outcome yet, I am just going to say keep in touch with forecasts and be aware of the potential for very heavy snowfall amounts and severe disruption. Even if this Atlantic low happened to stay a lot further south and not impact the cold spell, other likely outcomes would be cold, windy and snowy in their own ways.

It should be noted also that heavy snow is likely to hit parts of Britain and northern France, Belgium and southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland over this same period and European air and road travel may be severely disrupted.

The end of this wintry spell is hard to determine from guidance, it could linger past the weekend of 3rd-4th March and if it relaxes its grip, further cold spells could develop in the blocking pattern we are about to enter.

The cold air is not very far away already, temperatures in most of Holland and Belgium at this hour are near -6 C with east winds having arisen. Some snow streamers are showing up near the south coast of the Baltic Sea but otherwise this air mass is clear and cold, a situation that will change dramatically when the cold air gets out over the North Sea, Channel and seas around Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just a reminder folks. You may want to empty out your medicines cabinets before this hits and store them in your own houses. Freezing isn't likely to improve any of the meds we use so it may be better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Any ideas how long this cold spell will last? If we do get snow probably not much of a thaw even with the longer days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Any ideas how long this cold spell will last? If we do get snow probably not much of a thaw even with the longer days?

Likely to last the full week at least and possibly beyond next weekend. If the charts overnight were to come off we would be looking at a serious snowfall event at the end of next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Likely to last the full week at least and possibly beyond next weekend. If the charts overnight were to come off we would be looking at a serious snowfall event at the end of next week.

It lasted 3 weeks the last time christmas 2010

wrangler wrote: »
    It lasted 3 weeks the last time christmas 2010

That was much earlier in the winter though, this could last 2 weeks but it would be something very very special to last 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'll turn into the grinch if I see snow

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Would a sprinkle of urea help stop yard where cows walk from freezing over ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

yes

we leave yards dirty in frosty weather , helps give a grip, heavy snow is different however

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭BigSteaks

Weather apps on phones aren’t worth a shoite
    But as people here do not want the information I am giving
    I’m out
    Go fend for yourselves :mad:

Good god, the tinfoil hat brigade are out in force. Rarely have i seen such drama and hysterics. Its February, jesus as a country we have frost and snow in March.

The drama here is unreal, it was 2 weeks of snow few days ago, now 2 days. Lads should have meal heat and food without this drama.

Im east side now, beautiful day. Heading out for match now, if i am not back im under snow. Head west lads to save yourselves :)

BigSteaks wrote: »
    Good god, the tinfoil hat brigade are out in force. Rarely have i seen such drama and hysterics. Its February, jesus as a country we have frost and snow in March.

The drama here is unreal, it was 2 weeks of snow few days ago, now 2 days. Lads should have meal heat and food without this drama.

Im east side now, beautiful day. Heading out for match now, if i am not back im under snow. Head west lads to save yourselves :)

What a load of Rubbish,have you bothered to read the thread?
    This doesn’t start until Tuesday
    If your watch or phone app says it’s tuesday already I suggest you bring it to a good repair shop

What a load of Rubbish,have you bothered to read the thread?
    This doesn’t start until Tuesday
    If your watch or phone app says it’s tuesday already I suggest you bring it to a good repair shop

Oh i have read the thread, seriously good laugh. Tuesday the beginning of the end as we know it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Yes..

Believe a local airport were using it until traces appeared in the groundwater...

Oh i have read the thread, seriously good laugh. Tuesday the beginning of the end as we know it :)

What is it you don’t believe about Tuesday to Saturday’s forecast and how warm and dry do you expect it to be and thirdly what science do you base this on?
    Back up the waffle or clear off from clogging up an information thread

What is it you don’t believe about Tuesday to Saturday’s forecast and how warm and dry do you expect it to be and thirdly what science do you base this on?
    Back up the waffle or clear off from clogging up an information thread

Information or wild speculation? I'll get my info from the experts thanks. Lucky enough as the
    2 weeks of snow and drama ye guys were promising seems to have disappeared!!

Information or wild speculation? I'll get my info from the experts thanks. Lucky enough as the

In other words you have nothing
    Thought so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I hope you dont have animals

In other words you have nothing
    Thought so

You keep changing your mind. Speculation

pjohnson wrote: »
    I hope you dont have animals

I do, i have fodder for them. I expect bad weather nearly til May. Called farming in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

A bit of balance here is no harm but talks of Armageddon frosts is pure crazy -2 -4 isn’t going to kill us, there just seems to be a lot of crazy hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

alps wrote: »
    Yes..

Believe a local airport were using it until traces appeared in the groundwater...

0-0-50 is basically salt so u could use that?

• Advertisement

Who2 wrote: »
    A bit of balance here is no harm but talks of Armageddon frosts is pure crazy -2 -4 isn’t going to kill us, there just seems to be a lot of crazy hype.

Temperatures over snow cover will go a lot lower than that
    This was even stated on the met Éireann website but isn’t currently because there is so much on it now
    It’s a detail that will return during the week because rather than being something for the general outlook it will need to be in the general forecast

It’s when winds slacken that temp at night will drop most ,so for now it’s best to concentrate on wind chill ie the real feel and at night that’s going to be -12 or so by mid week

Why is that some people just ignore the forecasts? And I don’t mean forcssts by posters here but Met Eireanns forecast.

Many people in a big surprise next week!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Why is that some people just ignore the forecasts? And I don’t mean forcssts by posters here but Met Eireanns forecast.

Not around here in Wexford anyway.
    Just got a delivery of fertilizer now even though I won't be spreading till it warms up again as I don't want to waste the nitrogen in it and after getting a call about meal delivery coming in 2 hours.
    These are guys that normally don't work weekends but are doing the time and deliveries today because they're afraid of the weather next week.
    The word is well and truly out there.

Just a few contrarians who like to look at their own posts and wind people up on boards.
    Don't judge the outside world on them.

Many many thanks to the boards posters who have got the warnings out there in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some people just want to bury their heads in the sand snow and claim their backsides are sunburned.:p

Prepare for -10 in your own yard and if it's warmer than that then you're on a winner:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

George you obviously have a passion for all things weather. And thats great. But you really shouldn't be forcing your speculations and opinions down other people's necks. There are no thicks here in F&F. Everyone knows how best to manage their own situation. Give us zome credit. And if the sh*t hits the fan it will be nobody but ourselves that will get us out of it. It wont be a keyboard we will want anyways.

Might be hard to believe, but some people, like myself, might actually like cold dry weather! And we should be entitled to our opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Not around here in Wexford anyway.
    Just got a delivery of fertilizer now even though I won't be spreading till it warms up again as I don't want to waste the nitrogen in it and after getting a call about meal delivery coming in 2 hours.
    These are guys that normally don't work weekends but are doing the time and deliveries today because they're afraid of the weather next week.
    The word is well and truly out there.

Just a few contrarians who like to look at their own posts and wind people up on boards.
    Don't judge the outside world on them.

Many many thanks to the boards posters who have got the warnings out there in time.
    Meal lorry was to deliver here on Monday 2weeks ago. Lorry driver rang on Sunday night for directions. Gave him postcode. Told him there was snow here and roads are bad, also there's a hill on each side of our entrance. I've been driving lorries over 20 years and am well able for a bit of snow....work away I said. Anyway Lorry skidded by the entrance and he had to wait 4hours for the road to defrost to try again...

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    George you obviously have a passion for all things weather. And thats great. But you really shouldn't be forcing your speculations and opinions down other people's necks. There are no thicks here in F&F. Everyone knows how best to manage their own situation. Give us zome credit. And if the sh*t hits the fan it will be nobody but ourselves that will get us out of it. It wont be a keyboard we will want anyways.

Might be hard to believe, but some people, like myself, might actually like cold dry weather! And we should be entitled to our opinion.
    Jesus Mary and Joseph ,advising people what the weathers going to be like is forcing an opinion down people’s neck?
    I truly have heard it all now :D
    I’m not forcing anyone to read this thread and I didn’t start it either!

There’s a title on the main forum page and if you’re not interested you tell your pc mouse or your phone finger not to touch it
    It really is that simple
    That way people who want to know can
    I’m not making any of this stuff up,you’d swear I was.,,

whelan2 wrote: »
    Meal lorry was to deliver here on Monday 2weeks ago. Lorry driver rang on Sunday night for directions. Gave him postcode. Told him there was snow here and roads are bad, also there's a hill on each side of our entrance. I've been driving lorries over 20 years and am well able for a bit of snow....work away I said. Anyway Lorry skidded by the entrance and he had to wait 4hours for the road to defrost to try again...

Meal lorry is just after delivering there now. He said it's crazy now atm with everyone ringing up about meal. But he doesn't mind as he'd rather deliver now than get the lorry broken up. He said during the last bad snow the lorry was stuck in a farmers yard for 3 days.
    They had two tractors pulling it but they were just spinning. So no go.
    He said the main roads could be fine but it's going on laneways or into farmers yards where the trouble starts.
    He said cars and lorries have no place on a road when there's frost and snow about.

As far as I can see most of the meal companies are delivering today going by the lorries on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Meal lorry is just after delivering there now. He said it's crazy now atm with everyone ringing up about meal. But he doesn't mind as he'd rather deliver now than get the lorry broken up. He said during the last bad snow the lorry was stuck in a farmers yard for 3 days.
    They had two tractors pulling it but they were just spinning. So no go.
    He said the main roads could be fine but it's going on laneways or into farmers yards where the trouble starts.
    He said cars and lorries have no place on a road when there's frost and snow about.

As far as I can see most of the meal companies are delivering today going by the lorries on the road.

got mine last night about 9 last night , he had another delivering in waterford city after me . looks like i am going to be snowed in by the end of the week

got mine last night about 9 last night , he had another delivering in waterford city after me . looks like i am going to be snowed in by the end of the week

Looks like we're in for it here (wexford) alright.
    Pray for us poor folk up in the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

Muckit wrote: »

Will Galway bate Mayo?

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »

Was your call sign big jugs

I’ll get me coat.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Jesus Mary and Joseph ,advising people what the weathers going to be like is forcing an opinion down people’s neck?
    I truly have heard it all now :D
    I’m not forcing anyone to read this thread and I didn’t start it either!

There’s a title on the main forum page and if you’re not interested you tell your pc mouse or your phone finger not to touch it
    It really is that simple
    That way people who want to know can
    I’m not making any of this stuff up,you’d swear I was.,,

I have absolutely no issue with you or anyone else for that matter forecasting the weather.

Sure It's like Christmas here in this house. Can't wait for next week!! I love snow and cold dry weather. It's rare that we get it. No need for anyone to be scared of it. Embrace it l say. When life gives you snow, build a snowman!

Come here and l give you a big virtual hug!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I says wrote: »
    Was your call sign big jugs

I’ll get me coat.:):):)

:) I think he was of the attitude what would a woman know about lorries. I did say to him I told you so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭einn32

Got the bins filled up here. Loader decides to give trouble so hopefully it's sorted by the time the real severe weather comes. I'm hoping the coast proximity will ease the severity here.

In a global sense it's probably not that severe but Ireland isn't really set up for this weather.

In the middle here will get the brunt of it will be busy Monday getting ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I have read and reread met eireanns forecast and don’t see anything to get excited about? Good dry hardy weather with chance of snow showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Looks like we're in for it here (wexford) alright.
    Pray for us poor folk up in the mountains.

Uncle said there's lots of work being done as it dried up with slurry/ploughing etc going on. Some lads even sowing beans!
    Looks like being baltic cold down to -8 at night but no snow so crack on at field work here, hope ye're not too badly affected. The minions might even have to turn the aircon off and heaters on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

Willfarman wrote: »
    I have read and reread met eireanns forecast and don’t see anything to get excited about? Good dry hardy weather with chance of snow showers.

People love drama and overhype. Yes, it will be cold, dry and hash. It's not like we're surrounded and in Stalingrad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

what effect will this weather spell have on ground (soil ) temperature ? I’m in the west and hope to escape some of the snow. If it turns out freezing at night but sunny at day ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

I says wrote: »
    Will Galway bate Mayo?

Not if they have Willie Joe!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement