Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extreme cold weather from Feb 25th on, and now St. Patrick's Day on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

At work (on a farm) we’ve gone, Jeep, Jeep, car, van, van, jeep.

Sounds like the lyrics of a bad '70's song:D:D

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

BigSteaks wrote: »
    What makes fellas here think they are experts and we should all believe them. From the start of the thread they have changed their forecasts numerous times.

Isn't that what forecasting is though? They are trying to predict nature via models. Things change so it would be mad to forecast something last Thursday and stick to it regardless! Be like me predicting Dublin to beat Mayo last night on Thursday, and sticking to it regardless even if the Dubs decided to send their u-10 team to the match instead :D
    Thats why we are listening to the real experts but these guys are getting offended and throwing the toys out of the pram!

I assume the real experts are ME, who have a duty of care to not go mental just yet until they know for certain. They have raised a warning already,s aid it most likely will be raised to a potential red. Every forecast they give say this is gonna be bad, but they aren't saying how bad yet. The farming weather today could be the one with more info.

The negativity to posters here is shocking. Whats the harm in weather lovers letting us know and warning? If we take it on, or ignore is fine, but no need to have a go at them. And even if ya do prepare for the worst and it doesn't come to pass, what have ya lost out on?

Now, I'm off to let the water out of the roller and make sure all the machinery is tucked up nicely in the back of the shed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Long time reader fella and longer time farmer. Speaking varied posts, this thread is turning into a cut and paste job from weather forum. Bit duplication going on. Never mind the weather forum here.

Ya fella so you have said. Though you do seem to have spent that time complaining in your posts more than anything else imo. Nothing wrong with that of course. Just saying. ;)

Anyway back to the weather. Things have defiantly turned wintery around here There's a cold nasty breeze blowing ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lovely morning here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭20silkcut

What makes fellas here think they are experts and we should all believe them. From the start of the thread they have changed their forecasts numerous times.

Isn't that what forecasting is though? They are trying to predict nature via models. Things change so it would be mad to forecast something last Thursday and stick to it regardless! Be like me predicting Dublin to beat Mayo last night on Thursday, and sticking to it regardless even if the Dubs decided to send their u-10 team to the match instead :D
    Thats why we are listening to the real experts but these guys are getting offended and throwing the toys out of the pram!

I assume the real experts are ME, who have a duty of care to not go mental just yet until they know for certain. They have raised a warning already,s aid it most likely will be raised to a potential red. Every forecast they give say this is gonna be bad, but they aren't saying how bad yet. The farming weather today could be the one with more info.

The negativity to posters here is shocking. Whats the harm in weather lovers letting us know and warning? If we take it on, or ignore is fine, but no need to have a go at them. And even if ya do prepare for the worst and it doesn't come to pass, what have ya lost out on?

Now, I'm off to let the water out of the roller and make sure all the machinery is tucked up nicely in the back of the shed!

Letting water out of a roller is easier said than done for some.

I put mine in the shed with the cattle not a hope of opening them bungs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

20silkcut wrote: »
    Letting water out of a roller is easier said than done for some.

I put mine in the shed with the cattle not a hope of opening them bungs.

How long of a pipe did you put over the spanner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭20silkcut

To tell the truth I used heat and everything and still couldn’t turn them. The lug broke off on one of them. Ended getting the welder and burning it out. Welded back up the hole and filled it to the neck with water so that ain’t going to be emptied any time soon. Did not see this weather coming obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Maybe drill out the bung with a 10mm bit, that should drain it, albeit sliowly. You can worry about welding it up or tapping a thread on it after the thaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

-12 here this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭BigSteaks

gozunda wrote: »
    Ya fella so you have said. Though you do seem to have spent that time complaining in your posts more than anything else imo. Nothing wrong with that of course. Just saying. ;)

You did more complaining on the vegan post and giving out that it was eventually closed. Now your following me hear again and having sly digs.

I did more complaining on the vegan post and giving out that it was eventually closed. Now I am following you hear again and having sly digs.

^^^ fixed that you you ;). Always look for the rise eh?

Btw that is another complaining post I'm afraid fella ... :D

Good luck with it ...

Yes forecasting is fair enough but when we said we would wait until closer to time and listen to experts the lad threw a wobbler and toys out of pram. He is over on weather forum saaying we are all in denial.

Not no one is in denial we just questioned 2 weeks of snow and hysterics on here. As a farmer im always prepared for bad weather especially this time year and have fodder for my animals.

No harm the lads here having fun though you are right! Long as they understand we are not obliged to prepare for end of world on their guess work!!

gozunda wrote: »
    ^^^ fixed that you you ;). Always look for the rise eh?

Btw that is another complaining post I'm afraid fella ... :D

Good luck with it ...

Follow someone else fella. Head back over to vegan forum or somewhere and badger them!

whelan2 wrote: »
    Lovely morning here.
    ^^^
    A nasty bitter wind about that would chew the gahonnies off a brass monkey. Serious wind chill too. Came in earlier and I couldn't get close enough to the stove. Grass already turning brown from the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Who2 wrote: »
    How long of a pipe did you put over the spanner?

Ah the agricultural torque wrench !!!
    ie: a selection of scaffolding poles of various lengths to give the desired torque ... love it !
    And a sledge hammer for the option of an impact wrench

Ah the agricultural torque wrench !!!
    ie: a selection of scaffolding poles of various lengths to give the desired torque ... love it !
    And a sledge hammer for the option of an impact wrench

You forgot the vicegrips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

Aye don't worry about getting home :)

Hi viz jacket for that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Vets get narky during the busy season so stop the ****ing bickering or I'll hang out cards!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Reggie. wrote: »
    .....I for one know it will be and I also know how bad things can get. I know this from experience in 2010 as I was out in the thick of it for weeks when many stayed at home and rightly so didnt travel unless necessary and I also served overseas in Kosovo, Macedonia and Albania in the winter. So im fairly confident when i state i have experience in what heavy snow can do.

Reggie, have you any two wheel drive and four wheel drive driving tips for dealing with snow and ice and how to deal with skids? Any recommendations for what to carry in the vehicle for getting out of jams?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Emptied the outdoor concrete water troughs yesterday to prevent the water from freezing in them and cracking. Really hope it's not going to come as bad as it seems
    Can't understand people hoping for it to be severe on this and other forums. It might be unusual but it causes extra hardship to people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

greysides wrote: »
    Reggie, have you any two wheel drive and four wheel drive driving tips for dealing with snow and ice and how to deal with skids? Any recommendations for what to carry in the vehicle for getting out of jams?

Usual story with high gear and low revs but some high engined cars don't allow that and same with rear driven vehicles.

If using 4wd don't for get your turning circle can be hindered and you are prone to understeer on snow.

Weigh down the likes of a jeep with sandbags or such in the rear as most are RWD and all the weight is in the front. Weight adds to traction for the driven wheels.

Make sure you have screen wash as nothing worse than your washers freezing.

You could carry a length of material with you like carpet to stick under a wheel if it loses grip in the snow to get ya out of a situation. Cat litter also works.

Make sure you have a torch and hi vis with you in case of bother late at night.

Check your fog lights now in case of blizzard conditions as full headlights will blind you esp at night.

Sometimes driving on fresh snow on a road gives more grip than the travelled lines as compressed snow becomes ice.

If driving tractors try and have a weight block on the rear or something for extra weight

Emptied the outdoor concrete water troughs yesterday to prevent the water from freezing in them and cracking. Really hope it's not going to come as bad as it seems
    Can't understand people hoping for it to be severe on this and other forums. It might be unusual but it causes extra hardship to people
    Agreed

Both the Met E forecast and MT Craniums are very similar. I have followed the weather forum for years. They are much more forward looking than Met E. And they realise things do change, often at the last minute. And, yes, they are weather enthusiasts so you can expect them to light up when exceptional weather is forecast. I've gotten good advance warning of significant weather events over the years from reading their posts. Some of the contributors are obviously working with weather, either forecasting or as past of their jobs/hobbies. They know their stuff, try reading a technical thread..... I just look at the pretty pictures..

George did right to warn everyone. Thankfully the message seems to have gotten out and most people will be watching the forecasts even if they haven't been prompted to action. I've made a few minor preparations I might not have done without warnings.

Incidentally, a farmer I was with yesterday said the big snow of '47 started on the 25th Feb....... quite late in the year but....

Adam Grant

Thanks Reggie.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭The Rabbi

Oil hinges and hasps on gates to keep moisture away.Some pain when gate is locked solid with ice.Also oil wheels on barrow,handcart and milk trolley,washing them lets water get into the bearings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Amazing what a shovel and some salt can do to get a vehicle moving. I got a an artic truck that got stuck on the bridge in sallins moving in 2010 with some shoveling and salt, just give the salt a little time to work once you hve removed the soft snow first.

Thanks Reggie.

One more actually. Rub vasaline on the rubber seal on your car doors. Stops the rubber freezing to the metal at night and causing the door to freeze shut

I believe hot water and door locks don't mix well either..

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Rte farming forecast on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Plenty of sun here for the past couple of days but freezing with wind chill. Air temps of 5-6 on the afternoon but feeling much colder. Whether we're getting some sort of leading edge of this cold weather I don't know. What's unusual for cold like this is that it's coming from the SE. I'm becoming a believer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Both the Met E forecast and MT Craniums are very similar. I have followed the weather forum for years. They are much more forward looking than Met E. And they realise things do change, often at the last minute. And, yes, they are weather enthusiasts so you can expect them to light up when exceptional weather is forecast. I've gotten good advance warning of significant weather events over the years from reading their posts. Some of the contributors are obviously working with weather, either forecasting or as past of their jobs/hobbies. They know their stuff, try reading a technical thread..... I just look at the pretty pictures..

George did right to warn everyone. Thankfully the message seems to have gotten out and most people will be watching the forecasts even if they haven't been prompted to action. I've made a few minor preparations I might not have done without warnings.

Incidentally, a farmer I was with yesterday said the big snow of '47 started on the 25th Feb....... quite late in the year but....

Ah yer like myself! Love reading the technical threads and looking at the charts. Can't make them out and some of the talk over there is beyond me, but ya pick up bits and pieces (plus learn what each day of the week is in French from the charts too!).

I read MTC's weather reports everyday and find him to be the most accurate forecaster, and I include ME in that. When I said "I assume the experts are ME", I was referring to the post I quoted who said they'd listen to the experts.

Personally, I prefer the weather forum here cos it will give a prediction way in advance of ME, which can be super. Like, for example, yesterday I moved loads of bales for a man as my auld lad told him bad weather was coming, based on what I had said to me auld lad. Now without this forum, and me, and the auld lad, he would have waited for ME forecast and they haven't yet upped their warning. So he could have been stuck with a shed of sucklers and his silage 5 miles away in a field and no way to move it. So the forum here has meant his cattle won't go hungry, and he can have a little less stress if the weather does turn bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Plenty of sun here for the past couple of days but freezing with wind chill. Air temps of 5-6 on the afternoon but feeling much colder. Whether we're getting some sort of leading edge of this cold weather I don't know. What's unusual for cold like this is that it's coming from the SE. I'm becoming a believer.

It's coming from the SE because last year I sunk a new well 200m to the SE and didn't get round to trenching the pipe line yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

kowtow wrote: »
    It's coming from the SE because last year I sunk a new well 200m to the SE and didn't get round to trenching the pipe line yet.

All your fault

Lovely morning here in North Wexford.... if you're driving or in the sun/out of the breeze. Real high pressure weather, clear blue skies and sunshine. Makes you think you're in summer until you realise all those snow pictures from Scandinavia come with blue skies and sunshine too.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

You reminded me of another. If your lock is frozen. Use a lighter and heat the metal of your key up. Might take a few goes but it will melt it eventually. Never use water

Lovely morning here in North Wexford.... if you're driving or in the sun/out of the breeze. Real high pressure weather, clear blue skies and sunshine. Makes you think you're in summer until you realise all those snow pictures from Scandinavia come with blue skies and sunshine too.

Same here. Toasty out at 12c. In a t shirt atm. Pity it's to nosedive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bitter breeze here atm. And clouding over now so cold in the shade too.

Personally, I prefer the weather forum here cos it will give a prediction way in advance of ME, which can be super.

Once you realise there's an element of uncertainty about the whole thing that increases the further out you look then you can keep an eye on potential developments and see how they fizzle out or become more certain. Met E are fine but you don't get enough warning until it's on top of you. Sometimes more warning would be useful.

Met E have to be seen to be responsible and not to be crying wolf. The weather forum chaps can call it as they see it and then see how it plays out.

George seems to know his stuff going by his posts over there. He gave a very good summary of the state of play at the time in his posts.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I tell ya, It's drying out the ground no end west of the Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I tell ya, It's drying out the ground no end west of the Shannon.

It's great, went up the fields in the jeep and didn't get stuck. Didn't even need 4wd

It's great, went up the fields in the jeep and didn't get stuck. Didn't even need 4wd

Makes a change :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Today is beautiful day. I put all sheep in sheds yesterday night as it would be kinder for mN and beast for the week with feeding etc. But worried about viral now in this heat. Good open shed but they are well packed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

The big snow of ‘47, 5 foot drifts in places, the Uncle being 4’10” wasn’t seen for months.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

Muckit wrote: »
    Would it break the seal on top of the bottle?

It used to push up the tin foil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

I just pîśś on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You did more complaining on the vegan post and giving out that it was eventually closed. Now your following me hear again and having sly digs.
    Did you leave twooldboots at home this week?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Did you leave twooldboots at home this week?

Will you ever stop the personal attacks and bickering. Your obsessed with certain posters. Sad!!

I just pîśś on them.

You might be best not to do that this time round. At what temps does flesh stick to metal?

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement