Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving college

• 20-02-2018 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just looking for some advice..
    I’m 18 years old and I’m Currently doing a level 8 degree in forensics , the course is a lot lot harder then I thought it would be.I noticed I was struggling far more than everyone else .. long story short after testing etc I had being diagnosed with a type of dyslexia involving maths which I’ve struggled with all my life! Before finding out this I had completely lost interest on my course over the Xmas holidays ...I just now feel like the content of the course is too difficult and it’s not for me I’ve spent my life trying to make my family happy by doing something clever and “wow” rather than doing something simple that I love..SO...I’m thinking of leaving college I currently get a SUSI grant and they paid my student contribution fee and all tuition fees to my college BUT I seen a lot of people post you have to pay some fee when u leave college?does anyone know if this would apply to me? Paying to leave college lol dosent sound right...Any help greatly appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Shedy

Hi,
    Leaving a course is a huge decision, something I rushed into once due to without proper consideration. The facilities in for people with with dyslexia are good. Services off the top of my head like a scribe can be provided in exam situations, money for extra printing, extra time in exams and a tutor to go through material weekly are available. It would be wise to avail of these services in the future whatever you decide.
    I would seek advice from student services or councillors to see what your options are. To my knowledge there are special circumstances for fees but I'm not sure if this applies to changing courses maybe something can be worked out. The councillors/student services in the college will most likely have had experience with this in the past and will be able to put you in contact with necessary departments.
    You do not have to pay a fee to leave college, however if you decide to start another course in the next 5 years you will have to pay full fees and no grant for the first year, full fees are €4,500 and up. There is a date where you can withdraw from the course but it has passed. Speak the students union with regard to fees and your grant. They will have an officer dedicated to fees and will have experience with it. All the above support services are available to you free of charge the best advice I can give you, is to use them and to make an informed decision for your future. I was once in a similar position its only in hindsight I realise the services that were available to me. Even if you want to leave they will inform you of all your options and you can discuss it with your family then.
    I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide.

Advertisement