Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting back

• 20-02-2018 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Since retirement we need to cut back on a lot of things. We are thinking of changing to Free View for the TV but himself says we won't be able to record as much so is dithering about changing. We are also considering installing a different heating system i.e. a wood burning stove with separate rads. Are we daft? Anyone got any views on these, or any more suggestions to cut back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

As far as I know, you can get a free to air satellite system installed where you can record off the dish. It's something I should be looking into because the amount of pay TV I watch is negligible. I'm much more of a UK terrestrial TV person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We have free to air satellite and can record using memory sticks in either of the two boxes we have. Have never paid for TV providers so it was a huge step up when we went digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is your house properly insulated? What kind of heating boiler do you have? Do you have a modern, insulated hot tank? We had our oil system upgraded and the insulation etc done and I spend much less on fuel than previously. I also have a wood burning stove and in the cold weather we have just had the stove kept the sitting room lovely and warm in the evenings. I used the oil during the day at intervals just to keep the house comfortable, but in the evenings I didn't use the oil at all, just the stove.

One thing to consider as you get older though is whether you want the work of a stove - emptying and disposing of the ashes, bringing in the fuel, sourcing and storing the wood - and there can be a world of difference between the heat different woods produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

good luck with your cutting back I stopped smoking and that saves a bit. No other suggestion I can think of just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think a new boiler may be something we will need to think about all right. Regarding lugging wood in and making a fire, yes that's also on my mind as when we get older will we be able to fetch and carry as we did in our younger days. It might be a step too far though I've sat in boiling hot rooms with friends who have these stoves and I'm jealous of the lovely heat they have, and we don't. We have insulated as much as we can with our old house. The thing I do best is frugal catering as I can create a meal from almost nothing! Yay me!! :) No smokers here.

• Advertisement

I think those of us who survived feeding a family in the 70s and early 80s can identify with creating a meal out of nothing!

Too right, Looksee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Future proofing is always a thing to bear in mind. Downstairs bathroom, walk-in shower etc.
    Stove- check
    Boiler upgrade - on to-do list
    Pay off mortgage before retirement - impossible :(

The real secret is to be well prepared for retirement if you can. Get the mortgage cleared with enough time pre retirement to build up a nest egg. Have a decent pension plan early on. Do the future proofing while on a full income.
    Then there's no cutting back when retirement come around.
    I'm now in my 20th year of retirement, with Mrs S in her 16th, and it's the best years if our lives.

That's a bit idealistic Srameen, not everyone is in a position to do that.

Our situation where we were able to save was as much because of chance as of management. My husband was sick for a long number of years and we simply did not go anywhere or spend very much at all. Then just as he got his actual pension, as against the income protection we had been on (yes, ok, that was good planning) I got a quite well paid job more or less out of the blue, till I retired about 8 years later.

Balancing my current, reasonably comfortable, state against the stress and difficulties of the past 20 years, I don't think I would have chosen this option, but now I have it I am throwing everything at a project I really want to do.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    That's a bit idealistic Srameen, not everyone is in a position to do that.

Our situation where we were able to save was as much because of chance as of management. My husband was sick for a long number of years and we simply did not go anywhere or spend very much at all. Then just as he got his actual pension, as against the income protection we had been on (yes, ok, that was good planning) I got a quite well paid job more or less out of the blue, till I retired about 8 years later.

Balancing my current, reasonably comfortable, state against the stress and difficulties of the past 20 years, I don't think I would have chosen this option, but now I have it I am throwing everything at a project I really want to do.

I did say 'if you can'. Circumstances often override our best intentions. We had knockbacks too to our preparations but were fortunate enough to bounce back through promotions and lucky investments coupled with fortunate avoidance if other schemes that backfired on people.

But look, things work themselves out and, if like ourselves, you don't, and never did, live a high life retirement can be a wonderful time. Once the house is sorted the really enjoyable times of having time for family and friends, enjoying the nature around us, pottering at your hobbies, and being free of the stresses of work can kick in.

I hope some young 'uns are reading O & O's. There is plenty of sound advice they should be paying attention to. One piece of advice my mother gave me was to make sure I had life insurance. She had to pay for a funeral without having any money of her own and the life insurance saved her sanity. She would have hated to see our dad in a 'pauper's grave'.

Sadly, taking sound advice from O&Os is no more likely now than it was 50 years ago :D

One wonders why of course. :confused: Except that in my own experience I find they do listen to the same sound advice given to them by others i.e. boyfriend, girlfriend, partner, best friend. Parents? Nevah! Grrrr! :mad:

Advertisement