Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous housemate never changed his address

Options
  • 20-02-2018 9:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭

Had a guy house sharing for a few weeks with me last summer. He never changed his address after moving out and the council keeps sending him parking fines in the post to my address. It's nothing of my back to keep his mail and let him know but he asked me to forward his mail onto him which was 6 letters and he wasn't offering to pay postage. I asked him to collect his mail and change his address about two months ago and he never did. Another letter came and I returned it to sender. I feel bad. Will his fines increase if he doesn't know about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Id tell him to collect them or else theyre going in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭ec18

write not known at this address on the envelopes and put them in a post box

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Write “Return to sender, not known at this address” on them and throw them in a post box.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It's his responsibility to notify everyone of his change off address. Write on the envelopes, no longer at this address, and put the all in a post box. I was doing that for 2 years in my house, till a few unpaid parking tickets, turned into an arrest warrant. Had to invite the guards in for tea and explain that the guy they want has moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

testicles wrote: »

It doesn't cost anything postage wise to stick his new address on them and put them back in a post box.[/quote]

I think that’s actually incorrect these days. I already used do it too, but I asked in the post office one day that I was just about to do it, and they told me that now you do actually need to put a stamp on them.

Though I bet they’d get there if you didn’t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

jlm29 wrote: »
    I think that’s actually incorrect these days. I already used do it too, but I asked in the post office one day that I was just about to do it, and they told me that now you do actually need to put a stamp on them.

Do you really think they are going to knock on the door asking for the money for return to sender letters put in a letter box?

Do you really think they are going to knock on the door asking for the money for return to sender letters put in a letter box?

No I don’t. I wasn’t talking about return to sender letters. I was talking about re-directed letters. Previously you could re-direct them for free, now you’re supposed to pay. But I did say in the last line of my post that I think the re-directed letters would probably be delivered if postage wasn’t paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You scribble out your own address and write "return to sender" on the envelope and pop it in the post.

Nothing stopping you from writing the guy's new address or phone number on the back of the envelope as a note to the council.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

It doesn't cost anything postage wise to stick his new address on them and put them back in a post box.

Postage was paid once to send to my address. Don't think it covers the cost to be sent again for the second time. It's not exactly a mail holding or mail forwarding service I have. He's been gone longer than the time he spent in the house.

No I don’t. I wasn’t talking about return to sender letters. I was talking about re-directed letters. Previously you could re-direct them for free, now you’re supposed to pay. But I did say in the last line of my post that I think the re-directed letters would probably be delivered if postage wasn’t paid

You think?

Will they keep sending letters after writing return to sender?

Clickbait wrote: »
    Will they keep sending letters after writing return to sender?

Are you trolling or what's the reason for the stupid question?

You think?

Think. Yes. Don’t know. And wouldn’t really give a s**t either. When the gardai need to find the former tenant to issue a summons, they will. If they wanted their list badly enough, they’d change their address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Tow

You can still readdress letters. An Post made big hullabaloo with a media campaign a few years ago saying they were changing the rules. However, it was pointed out that they are legally obliged, and the law overrides their rules. The change was quietly dropped, but don't be surprised if staff are none the wiser.

Edit: Crossed with Testicles response.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tenigate wrote: »
    Are you trolling or what's the reason for the stupid question?

Eh, one poster said it took two years of letters and the guards arrived at their door.

An Post tried that alright, until it was pointed out to them that they are required to accept redirected mail without postage under the Inland Post Warrant 1939.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/an-post-admits-ending-free-post-redirection-was-illegal-1.686891

OK, redirecting mail isn't solving anything though. He's just not changing his address and I shouldn't have to keep doing it. I think it's because it's parking fines and it's easier to ignore.

OK, redirecting mail isn't solving anything though. He's just not changing his address and I shouldn't have to keep doing it. I think it's because it's parking fines and it's easier to ignore.

As said a number of times. Mark the envelope as “not at this address”. Eventually the sender will get the point.

I’m surprised a simple question has lead to such a long thread! :shocked:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Tow wrote: »
    Edit: Crossed with Testicles .

sounds painful :eek:

OP- put the new address of the person on the letter, scribble out your address and put it in the postbox.

If the person wants to tax their car they'll need to change their address anyways, so expect this to go away soon (assuming they tax their car)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Open the letter and call the sender and inform them. Job done.

Lantus wrote: »
    Open the letter and call the sender and inform them. Job done.

As if this thread wasn't long enough..

It's illegal to open someone else's mail.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1983/act/24/section/84/enacted/en/html#zza24y1983s84

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That Statute only applies while the letter is within the postal system. Once it's delivered it is no longer considered to be "post", and the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act no longer applies.
    TBH it was really only introduced to stop postal employees from interfering with items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Tenigate wrote:
    It's illegal to open someone else's mail.

I would never condone that! But it can be the case that letters arrive damaged and fall out of their envelope's. Happens to my mail all too often.

Without that the op already knows what the letter is and the agency they need to ring.

Advertisement