Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best indoor IP camera

Options
  • 20-02-2018 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

At the moment I have a couple of cheap Wanscam indoor ip cameras but they're not great to be honest.

They're supposed to have motion detection but it never really worked so now I have them taking a photo every 5 seconds & then FTPing it to a server in my house which in turns uploads it to Dropbox. I do this so I'll have some bit of history if the house is ever burgled but half the time it doesn't work plus the pictures are grainy.

Hence I'm looking to replace them.
    I don't want to have to subscribe to any other cloud storage other than the already existing Dropbox.

I need to be able to check them on my phone too.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't have enough experience of all cameras to say which is best. But I can say that I quite like my Logitech Circle 2 camera and it sounds like it might suit your needs.

Motion detection seems to work very well for me and it automatically uploads the recorded motion video to their cloud service and it sends you a notification to your phone.

The cloud service is free for 24 hours of recordings, which I find fine for my needs. You need to pay if you want to keep recordings for a longer time or some of the more advanced features (e.g. masking).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

bk wrote: »
    I don't have enough experience of all cameras to say which is best. But I can say that I quite like my Logitech Circle 2 camera and it sounds like it might suit your needs.

Motion detection seems to work very well for me and it automatically uploads the recorded motion video to their cloud service and it sends you a notification to your phone.

The cloud service is free for 24 hours of recordings, which I find fine for my needs. You need to pay if you want to keep recordings for a longer time or some of the more advanced features (e.g. masking).

Thanks.
    Longer than 24 hours would be handy though if I was away & a burglary happened so would probably need to subscribe.

I see the Netamo Welcome integrates with Dropbox.
    Anyone have one?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

frash wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Longer than 24 hours would be handy though if I was away & a burglary happened so would probably need to subscribe.

I don't get that, you get notifications of movement within 30 seconds, would you not just check it straight away and then if you saw a burglar call the Gardai?

Do you mean on holidays? You can get data plans now for most countries while roaming (specially in the EU, comes with most Irish mobile plans for free), so you can keep an eye on the place in realtime.

The logitech circle camera also comes with a neat feature where it creates a diary of all movement detected over 24 hours every day. You could check that each day over wifi and download any video of a burglar you see.

Also you could install the app on a family or friends phone, so that they can also keep an eye on the place in realtime when your on holidays.

To be honest, I don't think their is much value in IP cameras detecting crime after the fact. Most burglars wear hoddies/baseball caps these days due to cameras, so it isn't going to show you much. The value of IP cameras IMO is checking on alarms activated, catching the crime as it happens and confirming it, calling the Gardai (they respond much faster to activate, confirmed burglaries) and possibly scaring them off in the act (two way comms on the cameras).

I don't think checking camera footage a week after a break in will tell you much unfortunately.

That is just some food for thought for you. Not saying you should get the Circle camera. Having said that the Netatmo camera looks like a decent product, I've a Netatmo Thermostat that I really like. However reviews do show one issue. The camera records the video locally first and only uploads the video to dropbox once it stops recording video. If a thief saw the camera as they break in, then they could unplug it before it had a chance to upload. Unlikely to happen, but a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I was thinking holidays but if I can download to the app at any stage then that should be fine.

Was thinking for keeping the pictures / videos as evidence - didn't want them deleted.
    bk wrote: »
    However reviews do show one issue. The camera records the video locally first and only uploads the video to dropbox once it stops recording video. If a thief saw the camera as they break in, then they could unplug it before it had a chance to upload. Unlikely to happen, but a risk.

That is a bad design flaw alright - I wasn't aware of it

BTW Another option worth checking out is Arlo Cameras, they offer 7 days of motion activated recordings for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

+1 on Arlo they look the business

+1 on Arlo they look the business

Yes, Arlo do look pretty cool, I really like their integration with both IFTTT and SmartThings hub. Also great that it has sound activations.

One glaring issue though is that you don't get any notifications of the system or camera being offline. For instance if a burglar cut power or BB to your home, you would be non the wiser. Pretty poor IMO. The Circle camera notifies you within 5 minutes of the system going offline.

Though now that I'm thinking of it, if you use Arlo cameras with SmartThings Hub, the SmartThings hub also gives you offline notifications very quickly, so you would gain the ability if using both of those. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Your probably better asking this question in the home security section, you can buy systems now very reasonably priced and most can be accessed remotely.

Some else on here mentioned a reolink with an sd card that seemed to be fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I recently got the Kasa Cam from TP-Link. I had their smart plugs and found the interface very easy to use, so thought I'd give the camera a go when I saw a good deal on it on Amazon. Going to use it for a Baby Monitor and links into my Amazon Echo Show and Spot with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Security-Assistant-Chromecast-KC120/dp/B074WJPPCZ/

Each Kasa Cam comes with 2 days of free video history and a 1-month free trial to access 30 days of your video history. 2 days is loads for my needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

u could of course add a ups to your router and HUB, alongside the solar panel for each arlo camera and ur system will record and upload provided it still has a BB connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I recently got the Kasa Cam from TP-Link. I had their smart plugs and found the interface very easy to use, so thought I'd give the camera a go when I saw a good deal on it on Amazon. Going to use it for a Baby Monitor and links into my Amazon Echo Show and Spot with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Security-Assistant-Chromecast-KC120/dp/B074WJPPCZ/

Each Kasa Cam comes with 2 days of free video history and a 1-month free trial to access 30 days of your video history. 2 days is loads for my needs...

Don't think this is available in Europe yet, the only TP-Link cams we have are the older model (not linked to the Kasa ecosystem app)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Don't think this is available in Europe yet, the only TP-Link cams we have are the older model (not linked to the Kasa ecosystem app)

Any issue ordering from the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭plhealy2000

Looking at getting the Arlo HD from Amazon. 300 for 3 cameras and the hub.
    Any reason to go for the Pro version instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Looking at getting the Arlo HD from Amazon. 300 for 3 cameras and the hub.
    Any reason to go for the Pro version instead.

I have the standard Arlo, the Pro has a higher resolution and comes with sound afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭plhealy2000

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I have the standard Arlo, the Pro has a higher resolution and comes with sound afaik.

How is the resolution on the standard. If the quality is good i should be fine as I doubt I'd need highest quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Been looking at getting one myself. But as previously stated they are not available in Ireland.
    Would you recommend it? Any issues with buying from us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Been looking at getting one myself. But as previously stated they are not available in Ireland.
    Would you recommend it? Any issues with buying from us?

Currently living in the U.S., so no problems. I'm sure you can get one delivered somehow. Camera works very well with more features to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Ordered this , this week.

ANNKE Wireless Cube Camera 1080P 2.0 Megapixel WiFi Network IP Camera, 1/2.8" Progressive Scan CMOS IP Cameras with Zero False Motion Detect & Email Alert, Wireless Network Cloud Baby Monitor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N80AIK2/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_NvCOAbRQT3RZ3

It's a Hikvision clone and quite popular over on the IP Camera Forums.
    Bit of tinkering needed but I plan using this with a Kindle fire 7 for a baby monitor costing €100 which should provide high resolution camera with audio.

Currently living in the U.S., so no problems. I'm sure you can get one delivered somehow. Camera works very well with more features to come...

Thanks. It's coming to Ireland Q2. Might as well wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks. It's coming to Ireland Q2. Might as well wait.

Any idea on date of release?

• Advertisement

Any idea on date of release?

No. emailed support and got this

"KASA smart camera will be available in Ireland in Q2 2018."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Selling my Logi Circle 2 if you're interested. Got a gift of the blink so going with that for a while.

Usual boards discount applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

john_doe. wrote: »
    Ordered this , this week.

ANNKE Wireless Cube Camera 1080P 2.0 Megapixel WiFi Network IP Camera, 1/2.8" Progressive Scan CMOS IP Cameras with Zero False Motion Detect & Email Alert, Wireless Network Cloud Baby Monitor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N80AIK2/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_NvCOAbRQT3RZ3

It's a Hikvision clone and quite popular over on the IP Camera Forums.
    Bit of tinkering needed but I plan using this with a Kindle fire 7 for a baby monitor costing €100 which should provide high resolution camera with audio.

After some teething problems , got on really well with this camera.
    Hard to beat , it's a Hikvision proper security cam under the hood with capability for local access or remote, and numerous other features that come from a security camera such as POE.

I am using with a Amazon fire , the camera cost around 50 bucks, the Amazon fire about 40.
    I can watch live video on my Fire. And also from my smart TV and me and wife's phone.
    Camera has audio and a mic so can hear sound in room and also project into room from phone via mic. Also able to play music remotely on camera from MP3s files such as lullabies.

Have locked down all ports and disabled UPNP and services to prevent internet access for now.
    These IP cameras are minefield for security with so many holes.

These cams have big following on camera forums.Would advise people to check them out , serious bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Just a heads up regarding Hikvision, and some advice if you are shopping for cameras. In the industry Hik are seen as the best low-cost camera available and sell more cameras than any other major manufacturer. They are around for the last 15 years, but for the last 5 years they have become the most popular brand for small systems say 4-16 cams-mainly because they are cheaper, and hugely undercut established brands.

They're very fast at releasing newer CCTV tech like H265, 4K, WDR for a lot less than their rivals. They knock out cameras at a massive rate, quality is good, and their pricing is also much more transparent-usually available all over the net, and people love a bargain.

On the down side, their parent company is part owned by the Chinese government and there are a lot of questions around security, concerns about security and remote exploits-browser password bypass, configuration file vulnerabilities etc. A lot of integrators are getting cold feet, the US gov removed them from embassies-probably a lot of bullsh!t involved, but then again no smoke without fire I suppose.

There’s a lot of animosity from some of the older more established providers-mainly American brands as the see Hikvision, Dahua and other low-cost brands as destroying their lucrative markets, especially the smaller installs.

Most integrators avoid them on larger installs, there is very little model continuity-they are constantly revising their models and firmware and VMS compatibility. This is a serious PITA on a larger project, say three years on and a few cams die so you go to replace them-sorry not available anymore…
    FWIW I wouldn’t have a Hikvision in my house, I would go for a basic Avigilon, Samsung, Axis or the like (€250-300 if you shop about) 2MP with true WDR, is ideal for most applications. Most manufacturers have started offering cheaper camera ranges (sometimes even rebadged Hik cameras:p), so plenty of choice about.

I have a few Illustra pro cameras set up at home, recording locally onto a 32GB SD card, PoE from a small switch in the attic which is patched to my router, both devices are on a 1kVA UPS. Each camera is configured for DDNS via its browser for remote access, set to record on motion and they can send email alerts & snapshots if required. Even if someone breaks in, there is no NVR, to smash, unplugging the switch does not affect footage stored on SD at each camera; which can also be reviewed directly from the camera via browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone know of any battery operated camera that could be used to take a picture at the same time every day? I'd prefer if it could then email that picture but would be ok with it just saving to an sd card.

Our heating system is causing problems and we have to monitor the pressure. To do that we have to take a reading when it is off for a few hours, this only happens when we are asleep or at work. I'd like a camera I could set up in the hotpress that would take pictures of the pressure gauge every morning. Unfortunately we have no plug within easy reach of that area of the house so it has to be battery only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Selling my Logi Circle 2 if you're interested. Got a gift of the blink so going with that for a while.

Usual boards discount applies.

Cost is it over on Adverts maybe interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

matrim wrote: »
    Anyone know of any battery operated camera that could be used to take a picture at the same time every day? I'd prefer if it could then email that picture but would be ok with it just saving to an sd card.

Our heating system is causing problems and we have to monitor the pressure. To do that we have to take a reading when it is off for a few hours, this only happens when we are asleep or at work. I'd like a camera I could set up in the hotpress that would take pictures of the pressure gauge every morning. Unfortunately we have no plug within easy reach of that area of the house so it has to be battery only.

Blink are very good.

Advertisement