Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have experience with moldy items in rooms?

Options
  • 20-02-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

I got a delivery of some boxes containing mildewed and obviously moldy clothes from strorage. I am now quite ill. I've cleaned the room and laundered the clothes several times and put some things away but I am still ill. Should I chuck everything? I read online that cross contamination occurs and the mold transfers to other items in the room :( Considering moving in with a friend for a few days, going to the doc later.

Comments

These spores that cause mold are in every house but only become a problem when they gather and multiply on moist surfaces.

In addition to cleaning all moldy surfaces in the room you need to make sure the room is well ventilated to prevent another outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

ronoc wrote: »
    These spores that cause mold are in every house but only become a problem when they gather and multiply on moist surfaces.

In addition to cleaning all moldy surfaces in the room you need to make sure the room is well ventilated to prevent another outbreak.

The room was not moldy, the room is dry, the problem is not the room the problem is the boxes that were delivered full of moldy mildewed items, I'm getting rid of everything but I never had any problems before in the room, it is well ventilated and clean in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

The illness is most likely not related to the mouldy clothes ... there's a lot of sickness around at the moment!

C3PO wrote: »
    The illness is most likely not related to the mouldy clothes ... there's a lot of sickness around at the moment!

I'm afraid it is, it's not the flu there is too much of a coincidence to when the boxes arrived with the strong smell and meldew, also I've suffered from mold allergy before but just not as badly, doc gave me antibiotics for the infection and I bought a HEPA air purifier, expensive couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Once you have mold it will travel with you. You will never get rid of it. It will be on the rest of your belongings whereever you go just waiting to break out again as soon as it gets a chance.
    Buy a big dehumidifier and have it on during the day when you are out of on in another room at night. Makes a world of difference.
    I think every property should have a dehumidifier in Ireland tbh.

• Advertisement

KellyXX wrote: »
    Once you have mold it will travel with you. You will never get rid of it. It will be on the rest of your belongings whereever you go just waiting to break out again as soon as it gets a chance.
    Buy a big dehumidifier and have it on during the day when you are out of on in another room at night. Makes a world of difference.
    I think every property should have a dehumidifier in Ireland tbh.

The humidity of the room is not the problem it is the items that were brought in to the room. There is no mold growing on the walls in the room, it is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Just throw out those clothes. The spores may have made their way into other elements of the house but if the right conditions don't exist for them to grow then you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The humidity of the room is not the problem it is the items that were brought in to the room. There is no mold growing on the walls in the room, it is dry.

The house has the spores now is what I'm saying. They are microscopic, you won't see them til they break out somewhere else in the house.

Advertisement