Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of my car?

• 20-02-2018 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all.

I will need to get rid of my car as I won't be using it anymore and I was wondering what's the best way to do it? I could always sell it really cheap, but don't really care about it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Putting it up on Donedeal is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

depending on what condition you could get it scrapped but your talking pennys really

http://www.autotowing.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

dunworth1 wrote: »
    depending on what condition you could get it scrapped but your talking pennys really

http://www.autotowing.ie/

Yeah, calling a breaker might be the easiest thing of all, but the easiest will also mean the worst price. But maybe OP isn't bothered by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

What kind of car is it OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

if you sell a car privately are you liable for any damages/defects? just curious really, I've never done it or bought privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

dunworth1 wrote:

You could get 150 euro depending on the current price of scrap metal (per tonne). Autobreak in Ballysheedy pay the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wallack

Is a Toyota Corolla from 2002 and is an automatic one. It has scratches and some issues but passed the NCT until this april. Last NCT passed except for a lightbulb that was changed at the tyrestop next to the NCT.

Is unleaded, grey metallic 5 door. I think is an ok car and we use it mostly around the city. I had it since 2013. Now if we drive long distances the oil light lights up but everything is ok, we went to the mechanic for that issue and he said it was the pistons and that the car is safe that it will just make noise that happens once you drive aprox more than 100 km in the same sit I'd say, not sure tho.

So I prefer to scrap it so I'm not liable for any damages/defects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wallack wrote: »
    So I prefer to scrap it so I'm not liable for any damages/defects
    Sell it privately and you won't be liable for fuqall.

On the other hand, sell a 16 year old Toyota with issues privately and you probably won't get fuqall.

You could keep chickens in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

endacl wrote: »
    Sell it privately and you won't be liable for fuqall.

On the other hand, sell a 16 year old Toyota with issues privately and you probably won't get fuqall.

You could keep chickens in it?

What is a fuqall ?

If I sell it to another person via donedeal I won't be liable at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Wallack wrote: »
    What is a fuqall ?

If I sell it to another person via donedeal I won't be liable at all?

'Fuqall' is a more internet friendly way of spelling 'fûćk-all'. As in you'll be liable for nothing.

You're selling a car with a valid NCT that is driving fine. It's 'buyer beware' when dealing in second hand cars.

Flog it for a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Hooked wrote: »
    'Fuqall' is a more internet friendly way of spelling 'fûćk-all'. As in you'll be liable for nothing.

You're selling a car with a valid NCT that is driving fine. It's 'buyer beware' when dealing in second hand cars.

Flog it for a few quid

Just note that 'buyer beware' doesn't cover the private seller where the seller has misrepresented something about the car to the buyer.

The rule of thumb is you have to provide honest information if the buyer asks you something about the car, but if they don't ask, you don't have to tell.

Also I will leave the country so I will specify that and put it on donedeal or cars and hope for the best. I can always scrap it.

Thanks for your help guys!

Advertisement