Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks from Half to Full marathon

• 20-02-2018 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm doing the Debra Wicklow mountains half in the next few weeks, and can comfortably run a hilly half in 2 hours. Have run the distance twice over the last four weeks over the hills around Greystones.

I've just seen the Burren marathon challenge post and interested in the event. I'll definitely be able to do the half but pondering the full.

I have not run past 22km in a very long time, but have been hitting about 30 to 50 km per week consistently for a few months now. Usually running 4 to 5 days per week.

Is it realistic to up the distance sufficiently in the next 12 weeks or so to contemplate the Burren full marathon?

Feeling good, no injuries or niggles.

Advice on whether it is a good idea to jump up the distance in that space of time gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I would think it’s very doable especially as you probably wouldn’t be racing the Burren challenge as such?

Maybe have a look at a few marathon plans and look at the long runs and see how you fit in. I’m training for Cork which is a week later and using Hal Higdon Marathon 3. My LSR was 13 miles last week and 15 this week. There are plenty Marathon plans designed to just get you round a full marathon and people wouldn’t have the base you have so I think you could go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭oinkely

thanks Kellygirl.

I'd probably aim for about the 4 hour mark if i am going to do it. i'll check out a few plans and see what i decide. Will probably run up to about 25km this weekend anyway and then see how i feel after the Debra half.

Advertisement