Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Legislation

Options
  • 20-02-2018 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

In what legislation are duties and rights set out?

I'm particularly interested in public holidays, annual holidays and how a person's employment through agencies affects those rights as well as the employing agency's duties under H&S legislation e.g. charging people for ppe, deducting time of morning tea-break, giving people a snack at tea break and lunch time in lieu of break time itself.
    I've seen some good sites but would like to read the legal basics.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Organisation of working time Act.

Unfair dismissals act.

Indunstrial relations act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

I don't think you'll find a statutory entitlement to snack items.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The legislation you are looking for are Statutory Instruments SI’s, they are listed in the Irish Statutes Book.
    www.irishstatutebook.is

As above the Organisation of Working Time Act details your entitlements.

Often it’s simpler to search the Citizens Advice website, it has all the correct information regarding the Acts but in a simpler form.

Public Holidays and breaks are clearly defined, along with any exceptions.

There is no reference that I’m aware of regarding “snacks” in liu of breaks.

Breaks are an entitlement, employers flouting this carry a grace risk, an employee denied breaks and who might suffer an accidental injury would be in a very strong position to take a case against the employer for damages and neglect of responsibilities to the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Great that's the info I need, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

No there's not and none would be expected.
    Perhaps I didn't state it clearly enough - the employer gives snacks to employees while they work, involuntarily, through their tea and lunch breaks. They want the breaks, not the snacks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement