Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office Trial Expires…. What to do?

Options
  • 20-02-2018 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

This has been answered before, but I have yet to even activate Microsoft Office on my new Dell laptop.

If I do , I’ll obviously have 30 days before it expires.

What would be the best thing to do? Subscribe? If I don’t subscribe, and used something else like libreoffice, would my machine prevent me from using it or constantly annoy me with pop ups on an expired product?

If I bought a copy of Office on Adverts etc, would it work, or are they forcing me into subscribing to their installed product?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If not willing to use just uninstall it.
    You can use any free office applications along MS office, but you need to change default program to open you documents to other app, lets say libre, other way it will be defaulting to Microsoft Office. Even if you change default program to open you documents, after some Windows updates, Microsoft might/will revert default to MS office(just to annoy you).
    Purchasing software/license from third party might be risky as you get no warranty it is legit/legal.

Options all yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yeah.hmmm. Well, I'm going to have to use Microsoft Office, so maybe best to subscribe. Or buy a home package?
    What could/would my options be here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As i said, you don't have to - just uninstall it and you done. Then use free app.
    If willing to go MS office way - just follow wizard or go on Microsoft site and select package. Be sure to check pricing and whats in the package.

To consider: some users don't know that, if you have MS Office account at work(business plan) you could have office installed on 5 devices under same license. Talk to your boss/IT if appropriate.

It's a pity that it would cost €10 a month or €99 per year to subscribe instead of being able to buy a package up front. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Uninstall MS Office trial
    Install LibreOffice

No fees. Regular updates available.

• Advertisement

I assume libre office docs will open on Office without any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I bought my last couple of Office licenses through the Home User Programme.
    If your empoyer is listed you gey office for @14.
    Thare is always eBay for a 2016 license for @5.

seachto7 wrote: »
    I assume libre office docs will open on Office without any issues?

Yes ..... you choose what format to save the file in ...... .doc, .odt etc etc

banie01 wrote: »
    I bought my last couple of Office licenses through the Home User Programme.
    If your empoyer is listed you gey office for @14.
    Thare is always eBay for a 2016 license for @5.

I’m changing jobs soon but could lol into it.
    Ebay is indeed an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Those eBay / Reddit licenses are not genuine. They typically are student licenses or starter business licenses that the owners got for free. They are not allowed to resell them. They might work, but are not valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

well you can find some keys for activation on the Web but it will be better to buy a package

Why the hesitation?

Just install LibreOffice and see if it does what you want and if you can be comfortable using it.

If you do not want it for any reason, then uninstall it, and try out one or two other office packages that are available, else buy a genuine copy of MS Office.

Advertisement