Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

Seve OB wrote: »
    What do you mean a number of NRs.
    You mark your score for every hole you finish. If you scratch a hole then you get given a net double just as you do now.

No reason not to be submitting your score.

I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Seve OB wrote: »
    What do you mean a number of NRs.
    You mark your score for every hole you finish. If you scratch a hole then you get given a net double just as you do now.

No reason not to be submitting your score.

It happens whether its legitimate (injury) or someone calling it quits. There needs to be a system for it so its a valid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Rikand wrote: »
    I got back out to 7 at the end of 2018 and then had one good round of golf at the end of the year and straight back to 5again.

But I haven't been a 5/6 handicapper for at least 3 years (or since the second kid was born.) One good round of golf has kept me at a handicap that I can no longer play to.

Believe me, I cannot wait for the new handicap system to come through.

Sounds like you will be a 9 on course. Your index might be lower dependent on slope rating

Anyone any idea how this will work for team comp handicaps which are on a lowest of basis

I done my own on headfort at 16.2

Last serious 8 rounds from the comp tees have been have been 90,88,86,88,88,90,87,88 with an outlier of 92 and 84 taken out. Has me at 12, 11 with the 84 added in .

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I done my own on headfort at 16.2

Last serious 8 rounds from the comp tees have been have been 90,88,86,88,88,90,87,88 with an outlier of 92 and 84 taken out. Has me at 12, 11 with the 84 added in .

1. You dont take out highest and lowest
    2. You take last 20 rounds
    3. Are they qualifying rounds? If so your handicap wouldnt be 16.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Current is 5.1, best 8 from last 20 (just using GD) gives me 4
    But Im about to drop two rounds of 4 over and take on two 11 overs, so would be on 6 then....going to be a rollercoaster next year!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    1. You dont take out highest and lowest
    2. You take last 20 rounds
    3. Are they qualifying rounds? If so your handicap wouldnt be 16.2

One was competitive. The lowest I took out because I wasn't playing like I do in competition, I had one or two gimme's that I feel I would have made but still felt like I shouldn't include it. The highest was me and my brother who's new to the game so I was more focused on him with his first round back.

It's your best 8 but still I don't have 20 rounds so I used what I could.

I was using a handicap calculator, not the course handicap calculator. It asks for static HC, strokes, course rating and slope.

I'm presuming this is how it works from everything I've read.

One was competitive. The lowest I took out because I wasn't playing like I do in competition, I had one or two gimme's that I feel I would have made but still felt like I shouldn't include it. The highest was me and my brother who's new to the game so I was more focused on him with his first round back.

It's your best 8 but still I don't have 20 rounds so I used what I could.

I was using a handicap calculator, not the course handicap calculator. It asks for static HC, strokes, course rating and slope.

I'm presuming this is how it works from everything I've read.

If you dont have 20 rounds then you take your best round netted to exclude more than doubles up to about 10 I think and then apply the multiplier so you may be single digits

The new system is penal on people with low numbers of rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

That's interesting. So no inflated handicaps at initial allocation.
    Would probably have fixed some of the ridiculous scores coming in at our place lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

martinkop wrote: »
    That's interesting. So no inflated handicaps at initial allocation.
    Would probably have fixed some of the ridiculous scores coming in at our place lately.

you are making assumptions

martinkop wrote: »

Thats not exactly clear-cut and puts a lot more work onto the handicap sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

It's not as simple as looking at your best 8 rounds.
    You need the slope and course rating and that will just give you your handicap index.
    When you apply your course rating to that your playing handicap may stay the same.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Thats not exactly clear-cut and puts a lot more work onto the handicap sec.

It will all be automated

And the first big score will be hit with a massive cut. Not the tiny ones people are getting now!

It will all be automated

And the first big score will be hit with a massive cut. Not the tiny ones people are getting now!

I'm specifically talking about the NR aspect, that cant be automated.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm specifically talking about the NR aspect, that cant be automated.

OK I agree there, I suspect there may be an attitude of monitoring initially

And an education program going on. Ironically no returns I have heard in my club have been low handicappers trying to stay low

The worst offender is shooting back to back 67s at the minute anyway!

And an education program going on. Ironically no returns I have heard in my club have been low handicappers trying to stay low

I'd say they should start suspending handicaps for any unexplainable NRs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

mike12 wrote: »
    It's not as simple as looking at your best 8 rounds.
    You need the slope and course rating and that will just give you your handicap index.
    When you apply your course rating to that your playing handicap may stay the same.

Thats not how it works I think.

You apply net grossing and course and slope rating to every round. Thats your handicap differential for that round. Your current handicap index then is the average of your best 8 of the last 20 of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Why would a low man not return back to back 67s if he wants to stay low?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

My best 8 scores gives me a H/C of 7.8 :O Just taking scores on my home course. Currently 10.3, be interesting to see if it actually turns out like this.

77, 77, 79, 79, 79, 79, 80, 81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Jesus lads ill be just going and playing and let the computer figure it out.

At the moment i dont even pay attention to holes i have or havent got a shot on.

Will this new way will be more accurate to how your currently playing with bigger changes if you hit a good or bad run?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

etxp wrote: »
    My best 8 scores gives me a H/C of 7.8 :O Just taking scores on my home course. Currently 10.3, be interesting to see if it actually turns out like this.

77, 77, 79, 79, 79, 79, 80, 81

How did you find out the course and slope rating? I'd be interested in seeing how my handicap would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

bren2001 wrote: »
    How did you find out the course and slope rating? I'd be interested in seeing how my handicap would change.

I didn't, I just looked at the average of my scores to par on my home course.

bren2001 wrote: »

https://ncrdb.usga.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Here is a link to an online Handicap Index calculator - https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

You need the Course Rating & Course Slope Rating of the course you played.

Enter your last 20 results with these 2 values & it'll do the rest for you.

You can get the CR & CSR from here - http://ncrdb.usga.org/ (not sure if these are all up to date)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

My handicap is currently 13.7.

Maybe I'm using the calculator wrongly, but sticking in my best 8 scores and putting in the course and slope ratings I get a handicap index of 18.6. For my home course of Corballis this gives me a handicap of 18 / 16 from the blues / whites. If I was to play the course I grew up on from the whites it gives me a handicap of 22. From the blues 23/24 (there's two ratings in there for Tramore). Last time I played there I had 36 points playing off 14 (and not playing particularly well) and finished 4th.

Are handicaps expected to shoot up from this?

And a slope rating of 133 for Tramore from the whites doesn't seem right to me. It's not an easy course, but it's not too bad. And I think 133 is quite a difficult rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My course isn't on this, any idea when these are to be completed? Seems like they're leaving everything quite late with the whs set to go live in just 3 months.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

My course isn't on this, any idea when these are to be completed? Seems like they're leaving everything quite late with the whs set to go live in just 3 months.

What course is it?

Every course I've checked has been on it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What course is it?

I just stuck in 6 random courses. Only one in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What course is it?

Craddockstown.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement