Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

gypsy79 wrote: »
    There is a change to the differential which is very similar if not identical to the SSS to CSS adjustment

Thanks for that.

So if you’re looking for a rough idea of where you currently stand, essentially it’s your best 8 from your last 20 Nett Differentials per Golfnet ?

Is it the average of those 8 or is there a multiplier applied ? I thought I read something way back about 92% or something, although that might be the old USGA system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Russman wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

So if you’re looking for a rough idea of where you currently stand, essentially it’s your best 8 from your last 20 Nett Differentials per Golfnet ?

Is it the average of those 8 or is there a multiplier applied ? I thought I read something way back about 92% or something, although that might be the old USGA system.

95% of it would give you pretty close to your playing handicap if they are all on same course

Gets a little bit more complex if different courses as you would need use slope to get handicap index

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

About halfway through Rick's podcast and the girl speaking says GB&I so I presume everything she is saying is relevant to us. We have no differences compared to GB do we currently?

If it is it means counting comps in the winter which is a big plus for me. Off winter tees I presume the CSS ( or whatever the new version of it is) will raise with easier conditions (placing,forward tees etc) so it should even out.

The fact you can go up 5shots on your base HC during a 12 month stretch seems excessive. I'd hope anything above one or two shots needs approval.

It seems they're adamant they don't lose the competitive nature we have over the USA's fairly casual approach. I knew gimmes were a thing there but I didn't know it was "legal" in qualifying and from any distance aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

SEORG wrote: »
    Here is a link to an online Handicap Index calculator - https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

You need the Course Rating & Course Slope Rating of the course you played.

Enter your last 20 results with these 2 values & it'll do the rest for you.

You can get the CR & CSR from here - http://ncrdb.usga.org/ (not sure if these are all up to date)

Just got around to doing this and its probably spot on. Over last 2.5 years or (20 counting rounds) I've gone from 10.1 to 12.7 and this calculator gives me a handicap of 15. i dont think i've played below my handicap once in the 2.5 years in counting comp. i'd be happy enough to take 15 if thats what i get in november or when ever the system comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks like I'll be going from 13 to 18!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Looks like I'll be going from 13 to 18!

Going through a bad patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

SEORG wrote: »
    Here is a link to an online Handicap Index calculator - https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

You need the Course Rating & Course Slope Rating of the course you played.

Enter your last 20 results with these 2 values & it'll do the rest for you.

You can get the CR & CSR from here - http://ncrdb.usga.org/ (not sure if these are all up to date)

That's a great tool.
    I put in my last 20 rounds per Golfnet and looks like i'll be getting a shot back ! Unless I can put together 3 rounds of 36pts before the cut off !!:eek:
    Its great that you can put in scores to see what you need to do to go up or down.

Going through a bad patch?

Yeah haven't beaten 34 points in 2 years on my home course.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Where will the results come from for the handicap index?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Where will the results come from for the handicap index?

Not sure what you mean here?

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean here?

How will they work out your handicap index?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

How will they work out your handicap index?

Based on your scores on golfnet

I would imagine its like gypsy said, they use whatever is available to them via golfnet.

I changed clubs this year so I'm wondering g if they will use last year's for mine coupled with some of this years.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Based on your scores on golfnet

But are all the scores on golfnet?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I would imagine its like gypsy said, they use whatever is available to them via golfnet.

And anyone they dont have will just be stuck with whatever handicap they have at the time of change over

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Golf net is where your handicap is calculated. Any other scores you might have are not included in calculating your handicap

Seve OB wrote: »
    Golf net is where your handicap is calculated. Any other scores you might have are not included in calculating your handicap

So are all my scores on golfnet and if so where are they?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

Golf Net doesn't calculate you're handicap.You're handicap is calculated in accordance with the scores you enter to Golf Net.

bmc58 wrote: »
    Golf Net doesn't calculate you're handicap.You're handicap is calculated in accordance with the scores you enter to Golf Net.

You know what I mean

So are all my scores on golfnet and if so where are they?

Are you taking the piss now?

• Advertisement

Are you taking the piss now?

Sorry maybe it's obvious but can you answer the question?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Sorry maybe it's obvious but can you answer the question?

Click on your handicap number in the top right of GolfNet Web page. Scroll down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Click on your handicap number in the top right of GolfNet Web page. Scroll down

I find that some away competitions are not listed on golf net for me anyway

slingerz wrote: »
    I find that some away competitions are not listed on golf net for me anyway

If you switch to classic view and look under un processed away scores it might be there.

If you switch to classic view and look under un processed away scores it might be there.

Yes I think that might have something to do with your club handicap secretary as they normally appear there for me and then get moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Will there be a list of the course ratings published or will it be when u arrive at a course u find out the rating

mike12 wrote: »
    Will there be a list of the course ratings published or will it be when u arrive at a course u find out the rating

It is in this post earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Dunno if this has been asked before but will teams still be picked on lowest handicap from 2020 or pre the new system??

Just asking because I know plenty that decide to stay at junior Cup level or Bruen/Purcell level cause they get more enjoyment from playing in team events. Will new system put spanner in works?? Especially if playing on a home course with a higher slope rating (potentially) than others??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

Just going through the documentation on the golfnet WHS site now and this is the first new piece of information for me that stands out

G3.3/1Meaning of Most Likely Score (“MLS”) for Handicap Purposes

Whilst not in general use in GB&I, Ireland are trialling its use so clubs and players should be aware of this provision should they play overseas or in Ireland. The full details are taken from Interpretation 3.3/1 (included in the Rules for jurisdictions that use MLS).

Scores returned in match play or four-ball formats are Acceptable Scores in some Jurisdictions. In such situations there is a need for calculating a ‘Most Likely Score’ when a player starts a hole but does not hole out.
    If I am reading it correctly then it looks as if we will have to submit our individual scores when playing matchplay or fourballs

Advertisement