Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

tbayers wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been asked before but will teams still be picked on lowest handicap from 2020 or pre the new system??

Just asking because I know plenty that decide to stay at junior Cup level or Bruen/Purcell level cause they get more enjoyment from playing in team events. Will new system put spanner in works?? Especially if playing on a home course with a higher slope rating (potentially) than others??

Surely they decide to play the best golf they can as often as they can and get a handicap that truly accurately reflects their playing ability be that good, bad or average. :rolleyes:

Isnt that one of the key fundamentals of golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Surely they decide to play the best golf they can as often as they can and get a handicap that truly accurately reflects their playing ability be that good, bad or average. :rolleyes:

Isnt that one of the key fundamentals of golf?

Knew this would be thrown back at me. So if a person went down to 3 and know they haven't a chance to get on senior cup team you would hold that against them? Is it not about having the most fun. Thats really a separate topic but still doesn't answer my question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Try to work out mine as I have the course rating and slope.
    As far as I can make out all handicaps will cease to exist on Nov 2 and will be replaced with a handicap index.
    I presume the handicap index is what will determine eligibility for inter clubs 2020 rather that your old handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    paulos53 wrote: »
    Just going through the documentation on the golfnet WHS site now and this is the first new piece of information for me that stands out

If I am reading it correctly then it looks as if we will have to submit our individual scores when playing matchplay or fourballs

That was the first thing I was going to mention, then I see you already had.

I kinda knew fourball scores would be coming, matchplay no so. But kinda have to laugh at the most likely scoring!

Good to see society scores will be acceptable. We’ll have to see if we can get the boards scores put through the system somehow, but I guess a lot of that kinda thing will be a learn as we go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

From what I'm reading it will be your current index that will be used for all competitions.

Currently 15.6 and looks like I'll end up about 14.

On Headfort New playing HC will be 18. Does this mean if I shoot lower than 18 (90 strokes/1 shot per hole) in a comp my handicap will come down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    From what I'm reading it will be your current index that will be used for all competitions.

Currently 15.6 and looks like I'll end up about 14.

On Headfort New playing HC will be 18. Does this mean if I shoot lower than 18 (90 strokes/1 shot per hole) in a comp my handicap will come down?
    It will only come down if it's in the best 8 of your last 20. Your handicap index from that round will be calculated according to the slope and course ratings and the playing conditions calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Any idea what the conversion formula will be for those who don't have 20 qualifying comps? A lot of new members this year will only have a handful of qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Wombatman wrote: »
    Any idea what the conversion formula will be for those who don't have 20 qualifying comps? A lot of new members this year will only have a handful of qualifiers.

Would they all count and then as they go past 8 rounds the worse ones are disregarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Would they all count and then as they go past 8 rounds the worse ones are disregarded?

No it’s something like best 1 for the first 4 or less, 2 for 5-8, 3 for 9-10 etc etc

I can’t seem to find the exact ratio but it’s always an average of your best rather than a blanket average as that would lead to massively inflated handicaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

If are taking the average of the best 8 from 20, would you not take the average of the best 4 from 10 then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

A minimum of 3 rounds are needed to calculate a handicap index for new players

The table on how it works is here:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/5%202%20Calculation%20of%20a%20Handicap%20Index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Knew this would be thrown back at me. So if a person went down to 3 and know they haven't a chance to get on senior cup team you would hold that against them? Is it not about having the most fun. Thats really a separate topic but still doesn't answer my question

If I was a much better golfer than I actually am and could get down to 3 (never ever going to happen) I'd want to get down to 2 or 1 or scratch and wouldnt care what team I was on or wasnt on. I'm just a firm believer in getting to the lowest handicap possible for the standard I play at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No it’s something like best 1 for the first 4 or less, 2 for 5-8, 3 for 9-10 etc etc

I can’t seem to find the exact ratio but it’s always an average of your best rather than a blanket average as that would lead to massively inflated handicaps
    The progression is built into this spreadsheet I posted on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I wonder will they update us a week or 2 before so we aren't all scrambling to find out what our Handicaps are on the 2nd of Nov. Or will it be on the system on the 2nd of Nov when we sign into a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

etxp wrote: »
    I wonder will they update us a week or 2 before so we aren't all scrambling to find out what our Handicaps are on the 2nd of Nov. Or will it be on the system on the 2nd of Nov when we sign into a competition.

The GUI email had wording to the effect that it would take into account historical trends or ability I think?

My guess is that they will plug in an extra adjusting score to bring your WHS handicap in line with your current CONGU - ie if on November 1st your Congu is 11.5 but your average of 8 under WHS gives you 12.5, I’d say they will slot in a 4.5 which would artificially bring your index back to what it currently is, and then let people migrate from there rather than everyone wakes up on the 2nd of November to a brand new handicap index

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Seve OB wrote: »
    That was the first thing I was going to mention, then I see you already had.

I kinda knew fourball scores would be coming, matchplay no so. But kinda have to laugh at the most likely scoring!

Good to see society scores will be acceptable. We’ll have to see if we can get the boards scores put through the system somehow, but I guess a lot of that kinda thing will be a learn as we go

Page 4 of the attached.

https://www.golfnet.ie/Documents/WHS%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

All qualifying singles comps remain valid for handicap.
    Any casual singles rounds must be declared as handicap rounds online in advance of playing the round
    4-balls, and matchplay golf are currently excluded - but they are open to changing to include them in the future.

The GUI email had wording to the effect that it would take into account historical trends or ability I think?

My guess is that they will plug in an extra adjusting score to bring your WHS handicap in line with your current CONGU - ie if on November 1st your Congu is 11.5 but your average of 8 under WHS gives you 12.5, I’d say they will slot in a 4.5 which would artificially bring your index back to what it currently is, and then let people migrate from there rather than everyone wakes up on the 2nd of November to a brand new handicap index

I cant see them do this. I'd say whatever your handicap is under the new rules is what you will get. There is a provision that you cant go up more than 3 ot 5 shots though.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

What will happen somebody who has just put in 3 cards to get their handicap set up? They won’t have 8 cards to pick from

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

I think the new system is welcomed. It might correct what previous handicap secretary’s failed to address. In my club there is a lot of older members not competitive, because they won’t look for any shots back and the handicap secretary always failed to give them any shots back in any reviews. It meant most had ten point ones back in April/May and stayed on that handicap for the rest of the year. This new system might highlight the poor decisions carried out by previous handicap secretary’s in golf clubs. We have a new secretary this year but the previous secretary was very poor for three years before. This new system, I would expect will highlight this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭bren2001

benji79 wrote: »
    What will happen somebody who has just put in 3 cards to get their handicap set up? They won’t have 8 cards to pick from

Lowest of the 3 rounds -2.0. See the table here:
    paulos53 wrote: »
    A minimum of 3 rounds are needed to calculate a handicap index for new players

The table on how it works is here:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/5%202%20Calculation%20of%20a%20Handicap%20Index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

YES!:rolleyes:

If a person went down to 18 and know they haven't a chance of winning the Captains Prize so they let themselves out to 28, would you hold that against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Just calculated mine there gave me a handicap of 3.8. Current handicap in old system is 5.8 so I definitely calculated that incorrectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

frink wrote: »
    Just calculated mine there gave me a handicap of 3.8. Current handicap in old system is 5.8 so I definitely calculated that incorrectly!

mine went from 10.6 down to 9.5 I think. so maybe not that far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

frink wrote: »

Not necessarily. Have you been scoring well lately. New handicap will be much more responsive. How many scores have you had 36 or better in last 20

It is very different

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Have you been scoring well lately. New handicap will be much more responsive. How many scores have you had 36 or better in last 20

It is very different

Lately, scoring has been terrible. Haven't beaten 36 points. Last year I had a few more 36+ scores but I don't think a two shot difference is accurate so would suggest a miscalculation on my part

etxp wrote: »

pretty sure i read that they "hope" to have it available beforehand. :rolleyes:

TBH, this is all 11th hour stuff from the GUI and really poor information being given out till now. and even still, they don't know what the full sp is. just look at some of the questions being asked of them on other platforms. think the best one i saw was where someone asked about winter qualifying and their reply was to point them to an article which said that golfers should ask their local union :o

other regions around the world in the main had a small adjustment to get in line with this system so it wasn't a major change for golfers to get familiar with. CONGU have to start from scratch and they don't seem to bothered about it at all.

I have mentioned the new handicaps so many times to golfers in all walks of life over the past year or so. I would say that less than 10% knew this was coming and probably at least 50% still don't know it is coming.

so it will be your best 8 out of the last 20 rounds.
    but it wont be as simple as that, because those scores need to be adjusted based on the course rating and slope
    then you will get a handicap index
    then you will need to look up your course handicap
    then you will get a playing handicap of 95%

i still have no idea! lol

actually i do. it is a great idea, in theory.

but they have way overcomplicated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Seve OB wrote: »
    pretty sure i read that they "hope" to have it available beforehand. :rolleyes:

TBH, this is all 11th hour stuff from the GUI and really poor information being given out till now. and even still, they don't know what the full sp is. just look at some of the questions being asked of them on other platforms. think the best one i saw was where someone asked about winter qualifying and their reply was to point them to an article which said that golfers should ask their local union :o

other regions around the world in the main had a small adjustment to get in line with this system so it wasn't a major change for golfers to get familiar with. CONGU have to start from scratch and they don't seem to bothered about it at all.

I have mentioned the new handicaps so many times to golfers in all walks of life over the past year or so. I would say that less than 10% knew this was coming and probably at least 50% still don't know it is coming.

Totally agree with this. I know COVID has had a huge and unexpected impact on golf and the ability to do the presentations in clubs, but its still coming across as very last minute and "made up as you go along".

Communication has been terrible from the union IMO. There's too many pdfs and little PC videos that don't say much other than justify why there's a new system rather than explaining in simple terms to joe bloggs 65 year old senior member, how exactly the new system works.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. I know COVID has had a huge and unexpected impact on golf and the ability to do the presentations in clubs, but its still coming across as very last minute and "made up as you go along".

Communication has been terrible from the union IMO. There's too many pdfs and little PC videos that don't say much other than justify why there's a new system rather than explaining in simple terms to joe bloggs 65 year old senior member, how exactly the new system works.

yea, videos made by the USGA and R&A and whoever else trying to be very PC by using men and women from all different language backgrounds to voiceover. they are daft videos and don't really explain very much

at least these recent pdf's have a bit of new info. though mind you, i'd still like to see a simplified 1 or 2 page document which tells us exactly how to calculate our handicaps.

Advertisement