Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I had used the calculator with my past 20 comps and it was giving me an index of 16.1 (current CONGU 16.0). Not far off, although at home course that gives me a playing handicap of 15 off whites and 17 off blues.
    But i did realise that the 20th round (from last year) is my best (Net differential of -7). This will fall off after my next round, so assuming i shoot something in the buffer, my handicap index will go to 17. So hopefully I replace it with a very good round tomorrow.....

Very interesting to see how old scores falling out of the 20 will impact handicap index.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I changed club beginning September so brought my old handicap with me, played 4 comps and yet to score 30 points or over. So presume my new handicap will be base d off those rounds ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For the purpose of the initial calculation, will they use last 20 qualifying competitions, or last 20 competitions (irrespective of qualifying conditions)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

For the purpose of the initial calculation, will they use last 20 qualifying competitions, or last 20 competitions (irrespective of qualifying conditions)
    They have to be qualifying competitions. Anything else doesn't impact your handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just started listening into the GUI podcast.

Nothing new there if you haven't already looked into it, but I'm sure for many it will be confusing not helped by the fact the two people on the phone are very hard to understand at times. Anyway. My handicap index, the course handicap, the playing handicap. Some of those need to go on the card some dont. What the f*** am I actually playing off today? will be no doubt asked by many members.

I mean its obviously great that its worldwide unified and all that. Like I can now play with my friend from Tanzania on a course in Sweden and we're all comparable, great. Thats really worth replacing the simple existing system with this convolution that no one without a computer can see through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Off the Ball have released their podcast on it also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Nothing new there if you haven't already looked into it, but I'm sure for many it will be confusing not helped by the fact the two people on the phone are very hard to understand at times. Anyway. My handicap index, the course handicap, the playing handicap. Some of those need to go on the card some dont. What the f*** am I actually playing off today? will be no doubt asked by many members.

I mean its obviously great that its worldwide unified and all that. Like I can now play with my friend from Tanzania on a course in Sweden and we're all comparable, great. Thats really worth replacing the simple existing system with this convolution that no one without a computer can see through.

Just wait until the computer is down before a competition. No-one will know what handicap they're play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i guess using the calculator won't be exact either because when you are sticking your scores in, most probably haven't don't the whole adjusted gross thing / slope * course rating blah blah

it would just give you an idea.

the sooner the GUI get their act together and roll out the website so we can actually see what we need to see the better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭techdiver

Seve OB wrote: »
    the sooner the GUI get their act together and roll out the website so we can actually see what we need to see the better

This 100%.

We are 2 weeks away from the implementation of this and the majority or people still don't have any idea what our handicaps will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Just started listening intou the GUI podcast.

Couldn’t agree more with this.
    I tried explaining it to my father in his 70s and he’s a sharp cookie, but was very much “...WTF ?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Can i just go and enter comp, put sticker with name handicap on card and play, enter score after and let the computer do the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Can i just go and enter comp, put sticker with name handicap on card and play, enter score after and let the computer do the rest?

Yes

Score Hadicap Before Handicap After Change
    34 18.7 18.4 -0.3
    33 18.4 18.4 0.0
    31 18.4 18.3 -0.1
    36 18.3 17.5 -0.8

My last four scores and handicap change under WHS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Folks I left my golf membership lapse so stopped being a member anywhere in December 2019. I probably played 3 actual tournaments in the 3 years prior also, so lack of counting rounds played.

Is there any guidance how initial handicap will be determined under the new system for cases like this? 3 cards first and go from there?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Folks I left my golf membership lapse so stopped being a member anywhere in December 2019. I probably played 3 actual tournaments in the 3 years prior also, so lack of counting rounds played.

Is there any guidance how initial handicap will be determined under the new system for cases like this? 3 cards first and go from there?

Yes, exactly as before

Just wait until the computer is down before a competition. No-one will know what handicap they're play off.
    So long as they know their handicap index, no computer needed. Every club has tables to convert your HI to course handicap for each set of tees. That's what goes on your card. Simples. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So long as they know their handicap index, no computer needed. Every club has tables to convert your HI to course handicap for each set of tees. That's what goes on your card. Simples. :)

Not really. What if one of your 8 best comes off from the previous round. You won't know your handicap index as its a rolling calculation and could/will change every week potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

100% with this.

I get the calculations, they are convoluted but easy enough. I don't get the point. Why change what literally nobody was complaining about?

The incentive for me to play golf is replacing competition I used to get in football, only I've no interest in "winning", I just want to get my handicap as low as I possibly can. Of course, I can still try to do this just now it's my handicap index, but the incentive is way diminished by how that index is calculated. If my best score is 19 rounds ago and I'm playing ****e, then I'm not really looking forward to the next round.

I liked the competition I was in against my handicap, I liked the format of the competition. I don't like the new one.

It annoys me to think of it. I'll give it a go, but i don't understand why they are doing this in the first place.

Not really. What if one of your 8 best comes off from the previous round. You won't know your handicap index as its a rolling calculation and could/will change every week potentially.
    Updates are run every day. Your updated HI will be available to you on the same basis.

Blud wrote: »
    100% with this.

I get the calculations, they are convoluted but easy enough. I don't get the point. Why change what literally nobody was complaining about?

The incentive for me to play golf is replacing competition I used to get in football, only I've no interest in "winning", I just want to get my handicap as low as I possibly can. Of course, I can still try to do this just now it's my handicap index, but the incentive is way diminished by how that index is calculated. If my best score is 19 rounds ago and I'm playing ****e, then I'm not really looking forward to the next round.

I liked the competition I was in against my handicap, I liked the format of the competition. I don't like the new one.

It annoys me to think of it. I'll give it a go, but i don't understand why they are doing this in the first place.
    It's a worldwide system. It's being changed so that the entire world uses the same system and your handicap can be used anywhere in the world. That's why the change.

• Advertisement

It's a worldwide system. It's being changed so that the entire world uses the same system and your handicap can be used anywhere in the world. That's why the change.

I can't believe that is the reason. How many club golfers find themselves overseas looking for an open in any given year? Are we talking one in a thousand? Less?

If that is the reason then what a crock of ****. Imagine turning the whole running of your sport upside down for such a limited benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lots of issues with the congu system. New system will be a big improvement.

I'm sure they'll be a few issues in the first year but I bet that after 2 years we'll all look back and mostly agree that the new system is far superior.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Lots of issues with the congu system. New system will be a big improvement.

I'm sure they'll be a few issues in the first year but I bet that after 2 years we'll all look back and mostly agree that the new system is far superior.

What are the issues with the CONGU system?

I'm told that ClubV1 software won't be displaying your Transition Handicap until November 2nd so if your Club is using them you won't know before then unless you can work it out yourself.

What are the issues with the CONGU system?
    Off the top of my head: It doesn't react quickly enough to changes in form or ability, it doesn't consider the varying degrees of difficulty between different golf courses and it only is in use in a small number of countries and even then has different variants and handicaps aren't transferable between those countries.

I can't believe that is the reason. How many club golfers find themselves overseas looking for an open in any given year? Are we talking one in a thousand? Less?

If that is the reason then what a crock of ****. Imagine turning the whole running of your sport upside down for such a limited benefit.
    There are more golfers in the world than just in this country or the UK. US golfers regularly travel to these shores to play. I've played in the US, France, Spain and Portugal and would have loved to be able to play in comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Yes

Excellent.

Im looking forward to the change as it seems, in theory to me anyway, to reflect recent form with 8/20.

I play 2 comps a week and am not a big fan of casual golf. Now that casual rounds contribute to it will see me out more.

Im not looking forward to the start date as i have been playing sh1te and the .1s are starting to add up and the previous 20 are poor enough with a couple of exceptions.

I wonder will this see winning scores come down after the bedding in period

There are more golfers in the world than just in this country or the UK. US golfers regularly travel to these shores to play. I've played in the US, France, Spain and Portugal and would have loved to be able to play in comps.

Nobody travels to play competitions, people travel to play courses.

Nobody looks at Ireland and thinks, we could play the European that day but then we could play the open in Grange Castle instead.

If the whole change is being made to accommodate a tiny, tiny proportion of golfers, then it is honestly stupid. There is no better word for it.

Off the top of my head: It doesn't react quickly enough to changes in form or ability, it doesn't consider the varying degrees of difficulty between different golf courses and it only is in use in a small number of countries and even then has different variants and handicaps aren't transferable between those countries.

Not reacting quickly enough - can be addressed with additional powers to the handicap sec.

Not considering degree of difficulty between courses - that is exactly what SSS does, people just ignore it in the current system.

International issues are not addressable under the CONGU system, but they are not an issue that needs to be addressed.

From my perspective, what we are losing far outweighs any gain, even if I could identify any gain.

• Advertisement

Excellent.

Im looking forward to the change as it seems, in theory to me anyway, to reflect recent form with 8/20.

I play 2 comps a week and am not a big fan of casual golf. Now that casual rounds contribute to it will see me out more.

Im not looking forward to the start date as i have been playing sh1te and the .1s are starting to add up and the previous 20 are poor enough with a couple of exceptions.

I wonder will this see winning scores come down after the bedding in period

The newer golfers in our club will be punished much quicker. Just a quick tot and some basic maths and I feel that scores will come down quite a bit especially in courses with high ratings and/or slopes

If you are playing in one those courses, 30/31 points will be probably see small cuts under new system

Advertisement