Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Looking forward to a uniform handicap system around the World. In the previous Yank golf handicap system, you could give gimmes in a qualifying for handicap round and didn't seem to be any strict rules about what length the gimme was.
    I remember watching the Tiger match with phil and 2 american footballers, they were very generous with some of their gimmies some well over 4ft and was wondering was that because it was on TV or quite common in the States.

yea but that was matchplay for tv/charity. would they have been qualifying rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

It’s times like this that I like to reflect that nobody has, or ever will, win a captain’s day fairly.

thewobbler wrote: »
    It’s times like this that I like to reflect that nobody has, or ever will, win a captain’s day fairly.

ah thats unfair to say.

probably 37-39 would be a regular winning score in my club. you can't say a score like that is anything but fair and well played on the day.

we have had a few in the early 40's which also won, but again, knowing the individuals, there was no hint of foul play with any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

thewobbler wrote: »

Staggering generalization and totally uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Seve OB wrote: »
    yea but that was matchplay for tv/charity. would they have been qualifying rounds?

I listened to the Rick Shields podcast where they had a lady on from golf England explaining the new handicap system. She said that in the US gimmes could be included in a handicap event. Hence I would find a US 6 handicapper was equivalent to a 12 handicapper here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ah thats unfair to say.

probably 37-39 would be a regular winning score in my club. you can't say a score like that is anything but fair and well played on the day.

we have had a few in the early 40's which also won, but again, knowing the individuals, there was no hint of foul play with any of them
    And a completely uncalled for slight on your achievement this year. For which congratulations again. :)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    And a completely uncalled for slight on your achievement this year. For which congratulations again. :)

Hmmm I shot 39 points.
    Off the same handicap which I have been hanging around for about 10 years.
    It had nothing to do with plenty of time to practice and play this year.
    Probably cheated though! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

The more I look at the course ratings, the more I think that +1.5 will be the new scratch. Yes, there are a lot of low guys who haven't had much good golf recently and they might drift a bit, but if you break par on most courses, that's going to be a 'played to' +2/+3. By shooting one over as the average of the best 8 from 20, that will equate to a handicap of scratch based on the rating for most courses - should it really be like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

the more i think about it, the less i think that will be likely
    sure you might get a few thrown in, but remember it is the average of your best 8.
    so that means going out and shooting at least 13 crap rounds to just get your handicap back up by a tiny bit, so if you really want to cheat, you would need to be playing well over 15 crap rounds on purpose!!

I’d like to hope but there will be lads that will give it their best, unlike their golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Hi lads, is golfnet updating with our new handicaps? I'm currently off 8.6 which is right and all scores have been processed. My club records still show me at 8.6 but golfnet tonight has my exact at 8.2

A friend of mine is currently off 7.4 but golfnet has him down as 6.4

• Advertisement

Hi lads, is golfnet updating with our new handicaps? I'm currently off 8.6 which is right and all scores have been processed. My club records still show me at 8.6 but golfnet tonight has my exact at 8.2

A friend of mine is currently off 7.4 but golfnet has him down as 6.4
    No GolfNet isn't changing over. Not until 2nd November anyway. Just checked and my handicap matches spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

No GolfNet isn't changing over. Not until 2nd November anyway.

Ya that's what I was thinking. Strange 1

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I listened to the Rick Shields podcast where they had a lady on from golf England explaining the new handicap system. She said that in the US gimmes could be included in a handicap event. Hence I would find a US 6 handicapper was equivalent to a 12 handicapper here.

As someone who had a US handicap I agree. Maybe not 6 shots, but definitely a good couple. I played probably 30-40 rounds over the years I was in the states, and they all fed into my handicap. I’d say I holed no more than 20 putts of less than 2 feet in all those rounds. Though the rounds were played fairly with strict adherence to all of the general rules of golf, I never played organised competitive golf bar scrambles and team events, with match play for a few bucks the way golf is played there, and it’s generous gimmes all the time in that format, bar the odd bit of shenanigans in the back 9 when the match is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

As someone who had a US handicap I agree. Maybe not 6 shots, but definitely a good couple. I played probably 30-40 rounds over the years I was in the states, and they all fed into my handicap. I’d say I holed no more than 20 putts of less than 2 feet in all those rounds. Though the rounds were played fairly with strict adherence to all of the general rules of golf, I never played organised competitive golf bar scrambles and team events, with match play for a few bucks the way golf is played there, and it’s generous gimmes all the time in that format, bar the odd bit of shenanigans in the back 9 when the match is tight.

There was a whole thread on GolfWRX a few years ago on this and the general consensus from memory seemed to be that a CONGU handicap was around 2 to 3 shots higher than a US one. i.e. a US 6 handicap would be around 8/9 over here. I think it was particularly true of single digit handicaps and low teens, but it’s been a few years since I browsed that thread tbh so I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Russman wrote: »
    There was a whole thread on GolfWRX a few years ago on this and the general consensus from memory seemed to be that a CONGU handicap was around 2 to 3 shots higher than a US one. i.e. a US 6 handicap would be around 8/9 over here. I think it was particularly true of single digit handicaps and low teens, but it’s been a few years since I browsed that thread tbh so I might be wrong.

I missed 3 short putts yesterday, I would have been given them all in the American system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Rikand wrote: »
    I missed 3 short putts yesterday, I would have been given them all in the American system :)

Don’t worry, your playing partners will have told the H/C Sec what you could have shot and he’ll be dealing with you :D:D

On 16, 17 and 18... handbrake on 😆

Haha. 4 today for me. 2 about 15
    -18 inches and 2 about 2 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

blue note wrote: »
    Which is fine if you're an outlier. But do you reckon you are?

Of the 2 courses I've been a member of I reckon I shoot closer to par on the course I get an extra 8 shots on based on the handicap calculator website. I played there twice this year and was level handicap and 1 under. I played reasonably well those days, but not amazing. Whereas in my last 10 rounds where I'm a member now I'm averaging under 30 points. But I'm playing very badly. I expect to get a couple of shots back which will make my home course score average closer to low 30s. But if I get 8 shots back on my current handicap to play the course I grew up on, I reckon I could play badly and hit 36 points.

Now I know I'm an outlier in how difficult I find my home course. I think it is relatively easy, but i don't find it so. However, i don't think the difference is as great as the ratings suggest.

You are in Corballis? If I remember correct.

That courses ratings are just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

gypsy79 wrote: »
    You are in Corballis? If I remember correct.

That courses ratings are just wrong

100% I'm a member in Corballis but all my best rounds in the last few months are in opens elsewhere. How has this system got Corballis ranked as basically the easiest course in the country!? Its the most unforgiving course I've ever played. After checking my hcap in new system, Ill be gaining about 5/6 shots on every other course vs my Corballis handicap. Ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Yep, I'm corballis. You have to remember though that the average boards member is young for a golfer, and likely not struggling for distance relative to the average golfer. So corballis being so short is a huge thing for the average golfer. So I do think it's right that it's rated as easy.

But the rating seems a bit extreme. And not appropriate for younger golfers.

I deffo think Cor Blimey Corballis is an easier course and handicaps should be lower when playing it and when members play away from home they would probably see their playing handicaps a bit higher. mainly as mentioned above because of it being so short.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Does anyone know what will happen at the point the new system kicks in. I’ve had a poor year and have gotten my 10 .1s back and I guess that my best 8 would give me at least 3 and perhaps more back. Will that happen straight away? I know there are caps involved but not sure how that works at cut over.

jp101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what will happen at the point the new system kicks in. I’ve had a poor year and have gotten my 10 .1s back and I guess that my best 8 would give me at least 3 and perhaps more back. Will that happen straight away? I know there are caps involved but not sure how that works at cut over.
    Straight away - CONGU ends and WHS starts. Caps only apply within the WHS and don't have any crossover with CONGU.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Straight away - CONGU ends and WHS starts. Caps only apply within the WHS and don't have any crossover with CONGU.

Thanks for that. That won’t feel good but I suppose it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The simple explanation is that your handicap for a course can be looked up on a table displayed in the clubhouse and you write that number on your scorecard*.

*These days (Covid permitting) all the information will be on the label that's printed out when you enter a competition on the computer. So no change really. :)

My course has this table up now, I looked at my category where the calculator says I will be. 8.5-9.6 i think it was which I found odd. I’ll play off 9.

etxp wrote: »
    My course has this table up now, I looked at my category where the calculator says I will be. 8.5-9.6 i think it was which I found odd. I’ll play off 9.
    Why odd? The table works back from the course handicap, so a 9 course handicap will be allocated to a range of handicap indexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

jp101 wrote: »

Apparently our club will be keeping the congu handicaps converted to winter handicaps until qualifying restarts in April. Just what I heard today but could be BS.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Apparently our club will be keeping the congu handicaps converted to winter handicaps until qualifying restarts in April. Just want I heard today but could be BS.
    Qualifying comps can be held after November 2nd. It's not like you have to stop them until April. In fact clubs are encouraged to have as many qualifying comps as possible, hence some of the model local rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any word if the GUI will be using Nov 1 as the cut off for lowest previous year HC / for club teams etc?

There will be lots of unhappy captains if they stick to the calendar year. That's based on the assumption that most people will lose a shot or two.

Advertisement