Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I will be interested to see what information will be allowed on sites like HowDidiDo and Masterscoreboard.

In the early days of this it was discussed that you would only see your competition history. If you wanted to see anything handicap related you would have to go to the home union site.

The scenario I am dreading is;

1: turn up for competition
    2: open Golf Ireland App
    3: get handicap index
    4: consult table to get course handicap
    5: sign in to comp on screen
    6: work out playing handicap from course handicap depending on competition type
    7: enter playing handicap on screen
    There is a preview version of HandicapMaster 10. If you use the cloud or hosted version, you obviously can't import your data, but you could create dummy data to play around with and see how it works.

I would imagine that you sign in as normal and the software can pull your HI from Golf Ireland. Print a label and off you go. I think the difference will be that you can't make handicap changes on the software, you do it on the backend of Golf Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

thewobbler wrote: »
    There’s two things to consider here.

1. Would we not be more likely to enter our handicap index on the card, than the calculated handicap?

2. Either way, I expect that within a few months, looking for a sign with the course’s slope when signing in, then calculating “HI x slope / 113” on your phone, will become as normal in your pre game routine as checking for balls and a glove. It’s not that onerous a task, really.

Categorically disagree with point 2. If you think that would become a mundane weekly task for golfers then you have never worked on any committee. Sounds bad but most golfers need to be spoon fed. Same with rules, same with handicaps.

Even the scenario that Golfgraffix mentioned above will be a mess. There will have to be a better, more simplified way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

prawnsambo wrote: »

I would imagine that you sign in as normal and the software can pull your HI from Golf Ireland. Print a label and off you go. I think the difference will be that you can't make handicap changes on the software, you do it on the backend of Golf Ireland.

This had not been confirmed as of two weeks ago, I hope common sense has prevailed and it will be. But seeing the mess that has become of Scottish Golfs role our last year I am not brimming with confidence.

In saying that from what I have seen over the past year is Golf Ireland seem to be much less draconian in looking to have complete ownership of all things golf

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

HighLine wrote: »
    Categorically disagree with point 2. If you think that would become a mundane weekly task for golfers then you have never worked on any committee. Sounds bad but most golfers need to be spoon fed. Same with rules, same with handicaps.

Even the scenario that Golfgraffix mentioned above will be a mess. There will have to be a better, more simplified way.

Seriously, you don’t have to work on a committee to be able to judge people.

And you also underestimate people.

The threat of disqualification has taught even the laziest and most inept of us how to complete a scorecard correctly. If you can’t do this, it’s not a committee issue. It’s entirely on you. Alone.

There is no point in complaining to a committee if a scorecard is completed incorrectly. It is not the committee’s role to train you how to do this. It’s entirely on you. Alone.

This will continue to be the case in 2021.

Must do is a great master.

And you also underestimate people.

The threat of disqualification has taught even the laziest and most inept of us how to complete a scorecard correctly. If you can’t do this, it’s not a committee issue. It’s entirely on you. Alone.

There is no point in complaining to a committee if a scorecard is completed incorrectly. It is not the committee’s role to train you how to do this. It’s entirely on you. Alone.

This will continue to be the case in 2021.

Fully agree with this. When we were restricted earlier in the year with no computer entry and no labels, the amount of people who didn't know you had to write your handicap on your cards was ridiculous. Lots of DQs for it. They learned. :D

• Advertisement

We have 68,000 golfers using ClubNet, when a new club comes on board it’s about 2 weeks of support but in general it’s only about 5% of members that struggle. Women tend to be better adopters.

You are right, it surprising how even the clubs with an older demographic get there in the end.

My worry here is that integration won’t be there from the start, when it’s needed most. If people have to move from platform to platform then it will get messy.

I’m worried from a selfish point of view, our API with handicapmaster works like a dream now but we still don’t know what will happen next week. All the ISV’s are under strict NDA’s.

Hopefully worrying about nothing

This had not been confirmed as of two weeks ago, I hope common sense has prevailed and it will be. But seeing the mess that has become of Scottish Golfs role our last year I am not brimming with confidence.

In saying that from what I have seen over the past year is Golf Ireland seem to be much less draconian in looking to have complete ownership of all things golf
    I'm basing my opinion on this snippet about version 10 of HM:
    Our WHS® version of HandicapMaster will be compatible with the central WHS® servers operated by a selection of national golf unions and associations.

Featuring the familiar competition management facilities in the current HandicapMaster software, the new version will submit scores to selected national systems and download daily Handicap updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

I can't get passed the signup page. I have my GUI number and pin but it won't load

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

padmcv wrote: »
    Finally got in :)
    A number of scores incorrect & all score differentials calculated incorrectly :(

Figured out that my Gross Differentials are incorrect Golfnet for some scores. So, to be fair, the data was pulled over correctly. Missing the last 2 in October and some away scores, which seem to be common issues. I like the layout of the site. A lot easier to follow that Golfnet imo.

I'm basing my opinion on this snippet about version 10 of HM:

I hope I am wrong and you are right but I don’t think so, the access to the handicap index will be internal. The only place you as a player will be able to see your handicap and handicap history other than at sign it will be on Golf Ireland.

This will be a step back for sites like HowDidiDo and Masterscoreboard.

I can see the reasoning for Golf Ireland, and to be honest, what I have seen from the site so far, it looks good. It will just be a change in habit I guess

We will know tomorrow I guess

• Advertisement

I hope I am wrong and you are right but I don’t think so, the access to the handicap index will be internal. The only place you as a player will be able to see your handicap and handicap history other than at sign it will be on Golf Ireland.

I can see the reasoning for Golf Ireland, and to be honest, what I have seen from the site so far, it looks good. It will just be a change in habit I guess

Yeah. I'm really looking at this through the eyes of the average golfer, so as long as they can see their index at log in and the software sets the correct course handicap, there will be a fairly easy transition. Whether they can see their handicap record on Master Scoreboard or Golf Ireland is icing on the cake really.

I agree that the site (and data) looks good and far better than GolfNet. And maybe it's not a bad thing to have people using the CDH more often. The experience from this changeover has taught me that many have never logged into GolfNet ever. We sent out an email to members many weeks ago, telling them to check their data on GolfNet and update as needed. Only three had done so after a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Salvadoor wrote: »
    I can't get passed the signup page. I have my GUI number and pin but it won't load
    After I read your post, I went through the process for a family member. Email came through in seconds and they were signed up and into their record in a couple of minutes. Not sure what problem you're encountering, but the person involved had their email address on GolfNet and that had been pulled through to the signup site, so maybe that's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Registered last night at 21:00. Still waiting for verification email as of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

how does one go about getting the handicap?
    i do not have a gui handicap as of yet (old system) i have two cards ready - due to covid I dont have the final one. I do have my golf watch which has a rake of rounds saved on it. Can these be submitted? or do I still need signed cards by members? With only having two signed how many do i need to get the handicap sorted now? another 18? thats an impossibility for me with the current restrictions.

After I read your post, I went through the process for a family member. Email came through in seconds and they were signed up and into their record in a couple of minutes. Not sure what problem you're encountering, but the person involved had their email address on GolfNet and that had been pulled through to the signup site, so maybe that's the issue?

I'm entering my GUI number and PIN from my GUI card, ticking T&C's box but the page keeps resetting asking me to

"Enter your membership number from the back of your card"
    "Enter your membership PIN from the back of your card"

I'm not asked for my email as I can't get past the enter membership info step

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm entering my GUI number and PIN from my GUI card, ticking T&C's box but the page keeps resetting asking me to

That's where I am too.

What link are you using? There was a link posted earlier here that had a long string of characters in it and that could have been person specific. The link I use is https://golfireland.ie/signup

Also try clearing cookies from that site first.

Edit: Took out the www

What link are you using? There was a link posted earlier here that had a long string of characters in it and that could have been person specific. The link I use is https://golfireland.ie/signup

Also try clearing cookies from that site first.

Edit: Took out the www

Thanks but it's still not working unfortunately - never gets past the 1st page

and I used the generic link you provided

Thanks but it's still not working unfortunately - never gets past the 1st page

and I used the generic link you provided
    Has to be a problem with your numbers then. Have you logged into GolfNet?

yes, no problem with Golfnet. Even went in there today

• Advertisement

I did. It says my number isn't valid.

yes, no problem with Golfnet. Even went in there today
    Did you check your PIN when you were in there?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, trying to narrow down the issue. :o

blue note wrote: »
    I did. It says my number isn't valid.
    So probably your PIN then. I assume your GUI number works fine when entering comps.

Did you check your PIN when you were in there?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, trying to narrow down the issue. :o

Problem solved - different pin in Golfnet than on my card (must be an old card)

Thanks for your help- - i appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

I don’t understand the reasoning for this. Surely being able to see the handicap indexes of others in your club was something members would want. That’s what I’ve always found interesting about master scoreboard was seeing the lads coming down

So probably your PIN then. I assume your GUI number works fine when entering comps.

Yes. I had my card reissued because they couldn't find it in the proshop. What I suspect has happened is that when it came in they found my original and gave me that, so the pin is wrong on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I've gone back out from 10.7 to 12.3

Buuut they are missing last two rounds one of which was a 40 pointer. From what I've read they are still migrating over data so will check again in a few days.

Side note id say they are delighted there is no golf been played while this beds in

• Registered Users Posts: 14 T453

Anybody know why I have 2 scores on the 15th and the 17th of July not included in my new handicap index
    Also any idea when they will update scores put in after the 4th of October

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭wonga77

October scores go in tomorrow I think. Im missing scores too, not sure why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 T453

wonga77 wrote: »
    October scores go in tomorrow I think. Im missing scores too, not sure why
    Thanks ya it only affects my index by 0.2 so if they are not included I will not be too bothered

Advertisement