Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

newport2 wrote: »
    Yes, I have already. My last line has a WHS index 0.1 more than my current index

can't help you there but i think that is possible a problem that would need to be fixed, might be something to do with one of your scores. interested to see if others have same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

[PHP][/PHP]
    Seve OB wrote: »
    can't help you there but i think that is possible a problem that would need to be fixed, might be something to do with one of your scores. interested to see if others have same problem

I was responding to someone who had the problem.

I don't think it is a problem. I think the WHS Index field gives as it was for that last round played. So if your last round played influences your index, the field in your last score won't reflect your current WHS index. ie your index at the start of the round is not the same as it is now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes, I have already. My last line has a WHS index 0.1 more than my current index
    I wouldn't panic about that at the moment. I've noticed similar issues over the last week where the posted index is not the same as the actual index. This is from the back end that clubs see, so there's a bit more information there. In any case, these issues went away without any input from the club side. I took it to be an indication of changes being made before recalculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Away scores were showing for me yesterday. Not today. All my home comps are listed off very back tees which is wrong. Recent scores from last three weeks have been added alright. What's going on?.

[PHP][/PHP]

I was responding to someone who had the problem.

I don't think it is a problem. I think the WHS Index field gives as it was for that last round played. So if your last round played influences your index, the field in your last score won't reflect your current WHS index. ie your index at the start of the round is not the same as it is now

you see i'd disagree with you there, i think it should be indicating your new HI, just like the old site did.
    only problem is, we won't really know what it's supposed to be till we start entering scores. below is the column description... doesn't say very much
    The World Handicap System provides all golfers with a consistent measure of playing ability, with handicaps calculated in the same way wherever they are in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Would assume that they still have to be played under qualifying conditions and off the correct tee placing to apply.

So if there is placing, etc... it wouldn't meet the requirement for inclusion

Would that not mean we have basically 6 months a year to register scores?

Would that not mean we have basically 6 months a year to register scores?

no different to before. 7 actually

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I have the same issue, the index on my last line is 0.4 less than what is showing as my current. Actually all of the indices on each line/score are lower than what it showing as my current.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Is it the case that your playing handicap for singles will be: HI * (Slope/113)*95% for all games e.g. casual Saturday morning 4 ball, or is the 95% rule applied for official competitions only?

Is it the case that your playing handicap for singles will be: HI * (Slope/113)*95% for all games e.g. casual Saturday morning 4 ball, or is the 95% rule applied for official competitions only?

Comps only I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Seve OB wrote: »
    Comps only I believe

Does that basically mean that I'll have a one shot better handicap for casual rounds than in comps? Even if said casual rounds were declared beforehand to be used for my handicap. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

macslash wrote: »
    Does that basically mean that I'll have a one shot better handicap for casual rounds than in comps? Even if said casual rounds were declared beforehand to be used for my handicap. Thanks

No because your handicap is only relevant for the game you are playing

The movement of your handicap will be based on your adjusted score, tees played (rating and slope) and PCC

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Hi, if someone could advise which is the correct formula as I am seeing 2 different variations

Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating/113) + (Course Rating- Par)

or

Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating/113)

Thanks

manster wrote: »
    Hi, if someone could advise which is the correct formula as I am seeing 2 different variations

Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating/113) + (Course Rating- Par)

or

Thanks

This

is what it is in Ireland. The other is used in USA and some other places

First you calculate
    Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating/113) rounded to integer

then for you calculate
    Playing Handicap = Course Handicap * Percentage (95% for single stableford) rounded to integer

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

gypsy79 wrote: »
    This

First you calculate

then for you calculate
    Playing Handicap = Course Handicap * Percentage (95% for single stableford) rounded to integer

Thanks for the clarification.

Is the Course Handicap also known as the Course Rating? If not where do you find the C0urse Handicap?

See example of Course Rating here http://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=28289

manster wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification.

Is the Course Handicap also known as the Course Rating? If not where do you find the C0urse Handicap?

See example of Course Rating here http://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=28289

No that rating is used in calculating your differential when calculating changes to your handicap

It is also used in the USA handicap allowance that you put up earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

What way is 9 hole comps calculated?

redzerdrog wrote: »

Not totally sure. I think two are added together

But completely incorrectly from the one records on my dashboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

gypsy79 wrote: »
    This

First you calculate

then for you calculate

Just curious about the rounding before you adjust for playing allowance of 95%. Where are you getting this from? A number of posters are saying the same thing. The only thing I’ve seen specifically states that you only apply the rounding after the playing allowance is applied.

This from rule 6 of the R&A and USGA Rules of Handicapping:

“ Note: The calculated 18-hole and 9-hole Course Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number, with .5 rounded upwards, for the purpose of:
    l Applyingadjustmentsformaximumholescore(seeRule3.1)andwhenaholeis not played (see Rule 3.2).
    l Whereapplicable,calculatingaScoreDifferential.
    Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the
    Playing Handicap calculation.”

Is there some derogation from this for us? I have also seen some explainers on English golf club websites that only apply the rounding at the end.

Sorry I meant playing hcap for 9 hole comps

• Advertisement

From now on, they have separate ratings for 9 holes.

And is it half your hcap index then course hcap and then still 95% of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Moggaman

I was playing off 8 until 2 days ago when my new handicap arrived ...+2.8...just an 11 shot swing....

Moggaman wrote: »
    I was playing off 8 until 2 days ago when my new handicap arrived ...+2.8...just an 11 shot swing....

Good shooting ;)

And is it half your hcap index then course hcap and then still 95% of that?
    Well you'll have different slope ratings for each nine. But in essence yes. The score differential calculation is a bit different:
    [113 / 9 hole Slope Rating] x [9 hole Adjusted Gross Score - 9 hole Course Rating - (0.5 x PCC)]

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭S'

Quick question if someone could clarify.
    I transferred from another club during the summer but my scores from that club have not transferred over. The dotgolf website is only showing 3 scores from my new club. Who should I contact to resolve?

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

S' wrote: »
    Quick question if someone could clarify.
    I transferred from another club during the summer but my scores from that club have not transferred over. The dotgolf website is only showing 3 scores from my new club. Who should I contact to resolve?

Do you mean the golf Ireland website?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tobello

Hi All,
    Any idea about the removal of away scores last night on golf Ireland and the exclusion from today’s calculations? I saw another poster mention that in golfnet they have been moved to unprocessed away scores..

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

I don't understand how they did it for my existing 9 hole rounds, they seem to have just made up an 18 hole score.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

yawhat? wrote: »
    Just curious about the rounding before you adjust for playing allowance of 95%. Where are you getting this from? A number of posters are saying the same thing. The only thing I’ve seen specifically states that you only apply the rounding after the playing allowance is applied.

This from rule 6 of the R&A and USGA Rules of Handicapping:

“ Note: The calculated 18-hole and 9-hole Course Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number, with .5 rounded upwards, for the purpose of:
    l Applyingadjustmentsformaximumholescore(seeRule3.1)andwhenaholeis not played (see Rule 3.2).
    l Whereapplicable,calculatingaScoreDifferential.
    Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the
    Playing Handicap calculation.”

Is there some derogation from this for us? I have also seen some explainers on English golf club websites that only apply the rounding at the end.

On the Course Handicap Tables sent out to all clubs by Golf Ireland, the handicap index is converted to a course handicap which is expressed as an integer (so rounding happens at this point).

Advertisement