Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭S'

Seve OB wrote: »
    Do you mean the golf Ireland website?

Sorry yes, golf Ireland website!

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Hi Guys,

I would appreciate any feedback on an online calculator I made

Limitations
    • 18 holes only
    • 95% Playing Hcaps are only calculated
    • Not all courses are included (but will take requests!)
    • Hcap Index values from 0 to 40 can only be submitted for now
    • A number of terms are copyrighted so I have put in misspellings (e.g. rateing instead of rating, hcap instead of handicap)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

https://www.golfnet.ie/News%20Listing%20Assets/GI_WHS_Presentation.pdf

This PDF from Golfnet is pretty good for understanding it all, explains terms pretty easily and all that 95% stuff that people are asking about for competition use etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

redhill wrote: »
    https://www.golfnet.ie/News%20Listing%20Assets/GI_WHS_Presentation.pdf

This PDF from Golfnet is pretty good for understanding it all, explains terms pretty easily and all that 95% stuff that people are asking about for competition use etc

odd that you have to go back to the golfnet site to find that, had a quick look there and don't see it on the golf ireland site.

manster wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Limitations
    • 18 holes only
    • A number of terms are copyrighted so I have put in misspellings (e.g. rateing instead of rating, hcap instead of handicap)

Thanks
    its cool, well done
    whats the craic with the copyright you mention?

• Advertisement

its cool, well done
    whats the craic with the copyright you mention?

Authorization to Use the World Handicap System
    In order to use the World Handicap System, an Association must be authorized by the USGA and The R&A. Within its area of jurisdiction, an Authorized Association may:
    l Use the Rules of Handicapping and the Course Rating System.
    l Use the registered marks of the World Handicap System.
    l Issue a Handicap Index either directly or, where delegated, through a golf club.
    l Issue a Course Rating and a Slope Rating.
    The following trademarks and service marks are owned or licensed by the USGA and The R&A; all rights reserved:
    World Handicap System™, WHS™, Handicap Index®, Score Differential™,Low Handicap Index™, Course Handicap™, Playing Handicap™, Course Rating™, Bogey Rating™, Slope Rating™. Any organization that is not authorized to use the World Handicap System is prohibited from using these marks or any part of the World Handicap System. This includes the Course Rating System and the handicap calculation formula, except when the organization provides handicapping products or services to a golf club through an Authorized Association.

I am guessing the official app will have the same calculator and much more, but they don't want anyone getting out ahead of their own one by publishing a rival app. There is no open source API to get the course data either so it's very much a closed shop. Pity in a way as it will limit any potential development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

Hi Guys,

Limitations
    • 18 holes only

Thanks

Looks great. For feedback, I entered Powerscourt and selected both courses. Everything correct in results table below, except there is no field to tell you which results apply to which course. (obviously I could select one at a time to get around this).

Nice one!

newport2 wrote: »
    Looks great. For feedback, I entered Powerscourt and selected both courses. Everything correct in results table below, except there is no field to tell you which results apply to which course. (obviously I could select one at a time to get around this).

Nice one!

I fixed that. Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Righthammer

Hi Guys,

Limitations
    • 18 holes only

Thanks

Worked great with any course I tried .Rating is spelled wrong on table only obvious error I spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Worked great with any course I tried .Rating is spelled wrong on table only obvious error I spotted!
    Point number five in the list you quoted. ;)

It's to avoid copyright infringement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

So this calculator https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html that's been posted loads of times on here previously is actually useless as Ireland using a different calculation to the USA!?

dk1982 wrote: »
    So this calculator https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html that's been posted loads of times on here previously is actually useless as Ireland using a different calculation to the USA!?
    It's fine for calculating score differentials except it doesn't use the progression that is actually used in the WHS. Basically it just does the average of best 8 whether you've 8 or more scores in there. In other words, if you just put 8 scores in it averages them whereas if you only have eight scores under the WHS, your handicap index is calculated on the average of the best two of that eight. I think it calculates course handicap correctly too, just doesn't do the playing handicap adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's fine for calculating score differentials except it doesn't use the progression that is actually used in the WHS. Basically it just does the average of best 8 whether you've 8 or more scores in there. In other words, if you just put 8 scores in it averages them whereas if you only have eight scores under the WHS, your handicap index is calculated on the average of the best two of that eight. I think it calculates course handicap correctly too, just doesn't do the playing handicap adjustment.

Sorry I meant just the course handicap calculator part of that link. I think this is actually wrong as it also uses the course rating rather than just the slope rating?

dk1982 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant just the course handicap calculator part of that link. I think this is actually wrong as it also uses the course rating rather than just the slope rating?
    Yeah, you're right. Ran a couple of samples through it there and it ticks over to the next integer handicap earlier than the system we use. A couple of random ones I put in earlier were accurate, but it's the ones at the margin that show up the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Hi Guys,

Limitations
    • 18 holes only

Thanks

looks useful, will you be adding other counties? I can only choose Dublin now

Salvadoor wrote: »
    looks useful, will you be adding other counties? I can only choose Dublin now

Thanks for the feedback.

Just untick the default from Dublin. The other counties include Cork, Kildare, Mayo, Meath, Westmeath and Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Seems like a bit of a shambles in terms of having the new systems stood up and accurate - I wonder did Golf Ireland/GUI take their foot off the gas once they realised it wouldn't matter until the 1st December?

Seems like a bit of a shambles in terms of having the new systems stood up and accurate - I wonder did Golf Ireland/GUI take their foot off the gas once they realised it wouldn't matter until the 1st December?
    Most of the issues I've come across have been between golf club systems and GolfNet. A case of garbage in, garbage out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

From what I can see anecdotally a lot of clubs left it to the very end to check their data. Scores missing, away scores not processed etc. No matter how good any system is there is never any hope if the data is wrong or out of date to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

From what I can see anecdotally a lot of clubs left it to the very end to check their data. Scores missing, away scores not processed etc. No matter how good any system is there is never any hope if the data is wrong or out of date to begin with.

Our data looked okay last week but after Sundays update we now have people missing lots of away scores

• Advertisement

What really surprised me was the email from the GUI a week after clubs were given access to the system, saying that a large number of clubs still hadn't logged into it. Literally days before it was to go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

What really surprised me was the email from the GUI a week after clubs were given access to the system, saying that a large number of clubs still hadn't logged into it. Literally days before it was to go live.

When were the clubs given access?

Blud wrote: »
    When were the clubs given access?
    Evening of Thursday 22nd October.

For those using Handicap Master, the new release is ready for download and license keys being issued.
    We have received confirmation that most WHS services are available this morning.

We are in the process of sending out Licence Codes to customers and these will be sent this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Russman wrote: »
    Ya, its whole new way of looking at it, isn't it.
    I'm glad the golf Ireland site highlights the 8 rounds that are currently used to calculate your index though, at least we know those 8 and have a target to beat (ie the worst of those 8) if we want to get cut.
    I do think overall though that it will lead to a lot more people taking a "what will be, will be" approach to handicaps. It'll be like Christmas morning each time you sign into the computer ! :D
    The casual manipulators might be less inclined and the hard core won't stop anyway.

I'll know what I need to beat to get cut, but it's slightly harder to track both your worst best and when it drops out of last 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

I am missing a score from August. I had a 76 and got a 0.8 cut. My 20th score is one of my best 8 and is also 76. I am going to contact the handicap secretary in a couple of weeks time when this all settles down but I am wondering does anybody know because I have a 76 replacing a 76 will my handicap index stay the same or will it be reduced by 0.8? Thanks

cjfitz wrote: »
    I am missing a score from August. I had a 76 and got a 0.8 cut. My 20th score is one of my best 8 and is also 76. I am going to contact the handicap secretary in a couple of weeks time when this all settles down but I am wondering does anybody know because I have a 76 replacing a 76 will my handicap index stay the same or will it be reduced by 0.8? Thanks
    It will stay the same unless there's another round missing that would change that. Forget 0.8s and 0.1s, CONGU is dead. :D

Also check if the missing score is on GolfNet. If it isn't, then contact your H/Sec. Sooner rather than later.

Evening of Thursday 22nd October.

well in fairness thats only 10 days ago. apart from my earlier points that the GUI are to blame for leaving all this till the 11th hour (lets not go there again as we both know you will stick up for them again) i think it is quite likely that the lockdown will have played a big impact on the clubs not doing much.

away from the club, out of sight, out of mind, lockdown, no rush!

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'll know what I need to beat to get cut, but it's slightly harder to track both your worst best and when it drops out of last 20.

ah come on its not that hard.
    you will know if you have a score dropping before you go out
    you will also know what your current best non counting score is, ie the one that you need to beat.
    you can very easily work out what your new handicap will be should you not beat that
    fair enough, you might not have done the sum to work out what your handicap will be based on whatever good score you might shoot as there could be plenty of possibilities

but ultimately, you will know whether you are on for a cut, remain or go out

• Advertisement

well in fairness thats only 10 days ago. apart from my earlier points that the GUI are to blame for leaving all this till the 11th hour (lets not go there again as we both know you will stick up for them again) i think it is quite likely that the lockdown will have played a big impact on the clubs not doing much.

away from the club, out of sight, out of mind, lockdown, no rush!
    Ah here! You're excusing clubs for something that they had known was coming for years and also knew how little time was available and yet Golf Ireland are somehow at fault for being next in the queue to Golf England/Wales and a system that they were not developing?

Advertisement