Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Airsoft

Options
  • 20-02-2018 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I and my 2 friends are planning to play a bit of airsoft, but we have one issue. Since we only have 3 people and Ireland isn't the biggest spot for airsoft, therefore not providing many sites to play, we have the issue of finding a place to go to. We also own small gardens, only good enough for us to shoot targets in, and no one knows anyone with a decent piece of land.

So my question is, would it be legal to get biodegradable BBs and go to a forest or somewhere, far from other people, walking trails, roads, etc. and play amongst ourselves?

EDIT: Obviously, we will have face protection, under 1 joule guns, etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 OrangeJuice556

Huh... Never thought about that. Looks like I have to ask people that I know or mutual contacts if anyone owns a piece of land somewhere.

I'm no expert in legal things, I only know basic laws, to be honest, I thought most forests just belonged to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,920 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No it's not legal. If you have an imitation firearm in public the police can view it as you having an actual weapon. Coillte are also really adverse to the idea of airsoft in their forests (believe me, I've tried)

Best thing to do is find an actual airsoft site. Back when I played there were more than you'd think in the country, it was (maybe still is?) very popular.

Thanks for the info, even though I personally wouldn't call it a public place. I imagine there might be, but I'm searching the internet so probably not many sites will actually pop up. I'm unable to travel a lot so I would like something close to Cork City.

Maybe any sites you could list that aren't like 16 person games but sites to rent for like 3-6 people for some time, because we all agreed (me and my friends) that before we go into bigger games, we should get a better feel of it and that the bigger games would cost more because of clothing, etc. required.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,920 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What you call a public place versus what is a public place doesn't really matter. It is what it is. I had the gardai arrive at a not so public place I had airsoft gear on just after it was legalised in 2006 and they were armed. So I wouldn't suggest it.

I don't know any site names anymore as I've been out of it for over 10 years, but if you pop onto facebook and do a bit of searching you're sure to find something.

In regards to just shooting, you can plink away in your back garden to your heart's content, just don't be leaving your private property to go shooting somewhere you don't have permission as it's illegal and potentially dangerous (for you!)

• Advertisement

Ye, I imagined the law to not like my opinion. Oh well.

I'm already shooting in my back garden for a year and a half or so, bit irregularly, but I love it. I just wish I could have a bigger space and people to do it with. My friends are considering guns but they probably won't buy any unless we can sort out the whole arena place or something.

Thanks for the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

There's a couple of airsoft forums in the 'Sports' section. Best place to ask about sites etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Rebel airsoft in cork is your nearest site ,
    Don't do anything stupid and try play in a public place or land ,
    You will get yourselfs arrested and charged which would effect your career choices or future plans

Ye I'm a bit of a goodie two shoes, so I would rather check up first and take all the details. We're a decent bunch, we know the obvious do's and don'ts and will use guns legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

So my question is, would it be legal to get biodegradable BBs and go to a forest or somewhere, far from other people, walking trails, roads, etc. and play amongst ourselves?

I've seen some of those biodegradable bbs years after having been used and the green colour just seems to fade. I don't know how biodegradable they are overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've seen some of those biodegradable bbs years after having been used and the green colour just seems to fade. I don't know how biodegradable they are overall

It's down to brand I've seen some break down fairly quickly others not so much ,
    There also weaker and are prone to shattering on hitting a hard surface

Advertisement