Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Lost Package What are my rights?

Options
  • 20-02-2018 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So, I sold a very expensive camera on Ebay to some Lithuanian dude on the 18th January, and its now over a month passed. The package I sent was shipped with An Post Registered Mail and declared as worth 600 euro.

I've been on the phone to An Post, and I've done all the official stuff like filling out their m58 form which is a "official 'form' for investigation". I done this about a week and a half after posting the item, as I feared it was lost or stolen. An Post don't care less and they've been very rude to us when we called and enquired where the item was. Tracking says:
    ITEM DESPATCHED FROM DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE
    DUBLIN 12 18-Jan-18
    05:09

with no further updates on the tracking. Their support service dept. told me that I would be refunded for the full amount of the declared value (600 euro), and today they told me that the most I will receive is 35 euro. This simply is not acceptable, and I'd like to know what my rights are in this situation?

I would think since I signed the package over to An Post, that they are the ones responsible for the package at this point? If they sent it to its destination, then why was it not signed for upon landing at said destination? Isn't that the purpose of tracking? Personally I think they should be responsible for loosing such an expensively declared item since it was last in their possession...

I have also contacted the Lithuania Post who replied within 2 days and told me they never received it. It allegedly took An Post 15 days to get a reply from LP. The last day I called An Post, I told them I will be seeking legal advice, and suddenly in the same phone call, they had received an update from Lithuania Post, (Convenient). It said, LP never received it. How do I know it wasn't stolen from An Post?

I have also contacted the consumers association of Ireland and am awaiting word from them, to see if they can help out. I appreciate any advice you may be able to give. My advice to anyone shipping expensive items, is not to trust An Post, registered package or not.

What would you advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Was it registered or insured? Big difference. One will get you compensation . One won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

Here is the section on international registered post:
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/Mobile/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Security/Registered+Post+International.htm

This says that this service includes:
    "Insurance cover for the declared value up to
    €320 - UK
    €150 - Europe
    €100 for Parcels & €35 for all other items outside of Europe"

So looks like you should be entitled to €150 if I've interpreted the facts correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

You put a "very expensive" camera in the post to Lithuania? Really?
    An Post will pay you whatever their T&Cs say they will pay when a package is lost. Did you pay for additional insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Sparko wrote: »

This says that this service includes:
    "Insurance cover for the declared value up to
    €320 - UK
    €150 - Europe
    €100 for Parcels & €35 for all other items outside of Europe"

So looks like you should be entitled to €150 if I've interpreted the facts correctly.
    Unless it was packaged in a large box, it would have been sent at small packet rate, which has a standard insurance level of €35

The package would have "stopped off" somewhere enroute to Lithuania as I don't think there are direct mail / freight flights to that destination.

Advertisement