Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing square foot garden veg

Options
  • 20-02-2018 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Was hoping to get suggestions on what veg to plant in a square foot garden this year. First year making it and will be done with the 2 smallies.

We have talked about what veg we like, and I’m sure we can incorporate them, but I’m wondering if there are particular varieties suitable, and also how well they work in this small set up.

So we would like:
    spinach,
    rocket,
    peas,
    cucumber,
    carrots,
    beetroot

If anyone has suggestions if there are particular varieties of these veg, and also how best to lay them out, would appreciate it

One other thing, we will be growing spuds in a deep bag this year - are there any suitable varieties for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Be wary of carrots, best to do in a hanging bucket to avoid whitefly if playing at it with kids.

Salad stuff is ace as it's really quick.

Broccoli can be ace, depends if the cabbage white find it, always fun to leave a head to watch it turn into flowers.

Peas are great for kids too, remember to add more strapping through their growth to keep them to the trellis.

Just reread the op.

Get dwarf carrots and pull early, cucumber leaves need a lot of space, will swamp everything else, plus need cover until summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

saccades wrote: »
    Be wary of carrots, best to do in a hanging bucket to avoid whitefly if playing at it with kids.

Salad stuff is ace as it's really quick.

Broccoli can be ace, depends if the cabbage white find it, always fun to leave a head to watch it turn into flowers.

Peas are great for kids too, remember to add more strapping through their growth to keep them to the trellis.

Just reread the op.

Get dwarf carrots and pull early, cucumber leaves need a lot of space, will swamp everything else, plus need cover until summer.

Thanks for the reply

Regarding th white fly, I was going Tom make a plastic sheet cover to act like a greenhouse early on. Will this stop the white fly? Should I bother with the cover at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

A cloch is ok, but the sneaky lads will try their best to find a way in. 3' hanging bucket are too high for them, just keep an eye on watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Food for thought, (literally:) ), here;
    https://www.quickcrop.ie/square-foot-gardening

Advertisement