Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new built houses in Dundalk.

Options
  • 21-02-2018 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone, looking to buy new built house in Dundalk. For the moment we have one child 6 years old, so to live near to the school would be priority. We are looking for the safe place to live, which estate would be the best: Carlinn Hall, Mullaharlin Road / Marlmount, Old Dublin Road / Medebawn, Avenue Road / Mount Hamilton, Carrick Road ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mount Hamilton seem well built and are in a good location. But nothing beats going to a house/area and seeing for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ataner

Mount Hamilton seem well built and are in a good location. But nothing beats going to a house/area and seeing for yourself.

yes nothing beats going to to a house/area, know that :) we are doing it, but because we are not local, don't know anyone from Dundalk - we would like to get all the information about safe areas to live with kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

We bought in Mt Hamilton, lovely build and nice mix of younger couples and families

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The land Mount Hamilton is built on, I was told it's prone to flooding and basically built on a bog :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

hellboy99 wrote: »
    The land Mount Hamilton is built on, I was told it's prone to flooding and basically built on a bog :confused:

Pretty much doesn't seem to bother folks though. Lis Na Dara have another phase going up too. Block built. Be careful though. Looks like the back of the wall is going to be ré routed through there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Pumpkin084

I grew up in Dundalk but have been living in Dublin for about 15 years but am looking at moving back to the area. Mount Hamilton is a good area-type of address that will gain in value. There’s a crèche/Montessori in Lis na Dara (I went to view it last week and the girls seem lovely in there). You’ve a few good schools nearby within walking distance. I personally went to the Friary (aka st Malachys) national school which caters for boys and girls (co Ed initially but splits them from 1st class on) and secondary school (st Louis for girls, Della Salle for boys-next door to each other) prob not walking distance but about 3 miles away. Other school options for secondary include Christian brothers, st Vincent’s, st Mary’s. Plus I believe there’s a gaelscoil for secondary being built too. There’s a tesco extra in the town (about 18 mins walk from mount Hamilton), but also dunnes (2 large stores), Aldi, lidl, SuperValu. Train station is walking distance to Mount Hamilton (prob 8-10 mins). Just to note we are also considering mount Hamilton and our son is 2 so we’re looking at it from parents eyes too. For me I’d stay clear of Carlin Hall, it’s very close to DKIT and I would think there’s a high chance of possible rentalsfor students there.

We bought in Mt Hamilton, lovely build and nice mix of younger couples and families
    You mentioned you bought in Mount Hamilton-just wondering what is our garden size like?! It’s one thing that is leaving me uneasy about buying from a drawing !!!

It's modest in size but big enough for us, probably 30 square meters. Would vary from plot to plot so make sure you ask

It's modest in size but big enough for us, probably 30 square meters. Would vary from plot to plot so make sure you ask
    I have asked but not feeling confident in the information I’m given. Yesterday he indicated garden would potentially be in and around 87m2. But if your garden is 30m2 then I’m thinking he’s given me the overall plot estimated size (3 bed semi d with approximate ground level floor area of 51m2, that leaves just over 30m2 which ties back to your garden size). Is your garden about 18 foot long by 18 wide or is it narrower but longer? I want to be able to put a shed, a table & chairs and still have some room for a swing or slide or somewhere for my son to play. He’s only just turned 2 so can’t send him out on the green to play for quite some time yet!!

Pumpkin084 wrote: »
    I have asked but not feeling confident in the information I’m given. Yesterday he indicated garden would potentially be in and around 87m2. But if your garden is 30m2 then I’m thinking he’s given me the overall plot estimated size (3 bed semi d with approximate ground level floor area of 51m2, that leaves just over 30m2 which ties back to your garden size). Is your garden about 18 foot long by 18 wide or is it narrower but longer? I want to be able to put a shed, a table & chairs and still have some room for a swing or slide or somewhere for my son to play. He’s only just turned 2 so can’t send him out on the green to play for quite some time yet!!

I'm not being smart but why don't you go and look at them? There are plenty now finished and occupied. The only way to know is have a look.

• Advertisement

I'm not being smart but why don't you go and look at them? There are plenty now finished and occupied. The only way to know is have a look.
    ���� I have looked! On Sunday we found an unoccupied house with side gate opened so had a look there and the garden was tiny but it was 2 bed semi as opposed to 3 so it will be narrower just for that alone. And a lot of the gardens on Hamilton Avenue alone look like they vary quite widely in shape. Booking deposit went in today anyway so happy to buy there, just going to be a year really before house is built so feeling uneasy about this still.

(They were supposed to be crying laughing emojis at beginning not ????!!!)

ah here my bad, we're about 10mx10m so yeah 100msq would be right!

Ah ok cool! Thanks for the reply. Booking deposit went in today. Thanks for your help

No probs, any other queries you have feel from to drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Guys, just be mindful that there is no phone and broadband services in Mounthamilton and many other of these new developments going up, if this is a big deal for your work/ family life. No plans for it either until FTTH gets rolled out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Guys, just be mindful that there is no phone and broadband services in Mounthamilton and many other of these new developments going up, if this is a big deal for your work/ family life. No plans for it either until FTTH gets rolled out
    That's a oversight, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Pumpkin084 wrote: »
    For me I’d stay clear of Carlin Hall, it’s very close to DKIT and I would think there’s a high chance of possible rentalsfor students there.
    Any truth in this? Looked at a house there today, was impressed. Nice little park for the kids and EA said there'll be a big green area beside it also. Didn't seem like a studenty area but maybe somebody who lives there can let us know?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

toby2111 wrote: »
    Any truth in this? Looked at a house there today, was impressed. Nice little park for the kids and EA said there'll be a big green area beside it also. Didn't seem like a studenty area but maybe somebody who lives there can let us know?

From what I’ve seen from working in and around, there is a mix of young professionals, couples, young families and some retired folks. Not too many students tbh, majority of these are still in rockfield manor, college heights/ manor.

With about 80% of the finished houses snapped up in Carlin Hall, I don’t see this changing dramatically in my opinion.

SIRO FTTH now available in Mount Hamilton

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

Hi all. I'm aware these are old posts and might not get a reply.

But we are thinking of buying a 3 bed semi in Mount Hamilton and wondering what people's thoughts are? Some people on the forum live there, so first hand experience would be great.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

MartieG wrote: »

But we are thinking of buying a 3 bed semi in Mount Hamilton and wondering what people's thoughts are? Some people on the forum live there, so first hand experience would be great.

Thanks in advance!

One of the best built in many years. Nice houses, nice area, good layout, good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

i dont know anything about mount hamilton but i have bought close to the area recently and i can tell you one thing, traffic on the carrick road(ie going in to town from mt hamilton) at peak times is a disaster. Might be worth taking into account for school runs/work etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I am looking at buying on the Clermont road just off the Dublin road where Joe's shop is, (is it Haynestown?). Can anyone tell me what that area is like to live? Obviously close to Blackrock etc but wouldnt know that area too well;

Thanks

MartieG wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

Liking it so far, decent build quality, houses are a nice aesthetic and landscaped green area is fantastic.

Apartments are nearing completion so will be interestingto see how that affects the dynamic (if at all).

As the other poster said the peak traffic on Carrick Road is bad, school runs etc.

Advertisement