Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beggers

• 21-02-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

There is 1 guy in finglas who is always at the topaz garage on the n2 , every evening , irish guy , has an expensive push bike aswell , same said guy outside mcdonalds in charlestown in finglas , always stands right where you get your food in the drive through , so when u open ur window to grab food he’s like “ any change mister “ i say no and he’s like “ oh im sorry to ask thanks “

I mean can nothing be done about these parasites ? Bloody everywhere and intimidating too , he does be on his phone at the petrol station and then hops on his bike as soon as he gets his phone call , prob off to score another hit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There is 1 guy in finglas who is always at the topaz garage on the n2 , every evening , irish guy , has an expensive push bike aswell , same said guy outside mcdonalds in charlestown in finglas , always stands right where you get your food in the drive through , so when u open ur window to grab food he’s like “ any change mister “ i say no and he’s like “ oh im sorry to ask thanks “

I mean can nothing be done about these parasites ? Bloody everywhere and intimidating too , he does be on his phone at the petrol station and then hops on his bike as soon as he gets his phone call , prob off to score another hit

So you've no empathy then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If everyone walked by they would stop.

They obviously get enough to make it worth their while.

There are enough systems in place, be they governmental or vis charities that there is no need for people to beg to get food.
    I can’t stop thinking that money is going to fuel drink/drug habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

It beggars belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

There is 1 guy in finglas who is always at the topaz garage on the n2 , every evening

I've seen him around even outside Spar near Charlestown. Most of the time he gets turned down but once in a while he receives a change from someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

It beggars belief.

And maybe the OP should try begging to collect the tuition fees for some spelling classes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

There's a fella on the Samuel Beckett bridge beside where I work- never bothers anyone, just sits there with a cup in front of him. He's fairly well dressed and his beard is neat and clean. Has a nap sack beside him, also quite nice and clean and new looking.

Doesn't bother me, just makes me curious as to how he got to where he is (none of my business, either!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I can't go anywhere without being bothered by them. I've been to loads of European cities and Dublin is up there with the most beggars. I'm sure the tourists tell their friends at home how full of homeless the city is which likely stops some of them having a weekend over here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Who says push bike any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I usually give a bit a spare change to a beggar if I see them on the street. Most of them just say thank you and that's that, but there was this one beggar on Stephen's Green asking me to pay her rent. I saw her on the street and gave her €3, she then turns to me and said that she's being evicted from her house and asked me if i'd pay for her rent. I said I couldn't and that I don't have money on me and walked away, but she continued following me for a bit and asked me if i'd go to an ATM. I just told her that I couldn't and then she left me alone eventually.

That being said, I don't have a problem with them in general. I don't mind giving them a few bob if I see one sitting on the street. It's the ones that start clinging to you and start asking you for things as soon as you give them money that I find annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I give them a fag if I'm drunk or heading out to the pub because I'm sound.

Get the box out to give him one and they always see I have the minty fags. They just say nah man you're grand.

Pricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

They certainly can't be choosers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Get the box out to give him one and they always see I have the minty fags. They just say nah man you're grand.

Pricks.

Ah they arent real fags :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I've recently seen a woman begging the past few days on Henry Street near Arnotts, where the old HMV used to be.  Poor woman has no nose, it's quite shocking to see.  Would love to know her story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I usually give a bit a spare change to a beggar if I see them on the street. Most of them just say thank you and that's that, but there was this one beggar on Stephen's Green asking me to pay her rent. I saw her on the street and gave her €3, she then turns to me and said that she's being evicted from her house and asked me if i'd pay for her rent. I said I couldn't and that I don't have money on me and walked away, but she continued following me for a bit and asked me if i'd go to an ATM. I just told her that I couldn't and then she left me alone eventually.

That being said, I don't have a problem with them in general. I don't mind giving them a few bob if I see one sitting on the street. It's the ones that start clinging to you and start asking you for things as soon as you give them money that I find annoying.

That was a bit harsh of you, I once had a beggar who asked me for a euro, I gave her the euro and then bought her a nice apartment, a car and a holiday in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Pricks.

Wat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont understand why everyones so put out by beggars, not in any nice way like hate seeing poverty it seems to be more like can't stand the sight of them..it doesnt particularly bother me seeing them and if one seems genuine I give them a euro..its not a big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Wat

What's not to Get? They turn their nose up at free cigarettes.

It's a mildly amusing story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tabnabs wrote: »

Isn't it just americans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I remember a few years ago the law was reformed regarding begging.

I think there was a high-profile case that forced the reform.

Link with tasty info:
    http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/ireland-reform-of-begging-laws/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have A Modest Proposal...

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont understand why everyones so put out by beggars, not in any nice way like hate seeing poverty it seems to be more like can't stand the sight of them..it doesnt particularly bother me seeing them and if one seems genuine I give them a euro..its not a big deal

In that case, you must spend on average €30 everytime you spend a couple of hours in Dublin city centre just handing out euros quite literally on every street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

MarkY91 wrote: »
    In that case, you must spend on average €30 everytime you spend a couple of hours in Dublin city centre just handing out euros quite literally on every street.

If everybody just said no, it wouldn't be such a problem. I can remember the last time I gave anything to a beggar. It must be years at this stage.

While I'm here, does anyone understand why people give money to begging gipsies? I never understood this. I thought the whole world knew that these people are organised scammers. And yet I've actually seen people give them money. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I don't understand why you never see a beggar in Amsterdam, EVER.

You could be standing in the street or outside a bar having a cigarette and nobody ever hits you up for a smoke and/or spare change.

There are drugs in Holland, there is alcohol in holland, there is poverty in holland and there is (I'm sure) homelessness in holland yet I have never seen people sleeping in doorways nor have I ever been approached for money or smokes in YEARS. It's an hourly occurrence in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It beggars belief.
    And maybe the OP should try begging to collect the tuition fees for some spelling classes!

Beggar is the correct spelling.

Buoy is their eg on your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I feel sorry for them yes - I do give change to some but if I handed over every cent to anybody that asked id have feck all myself. Telling them "I gave my change to somebody else" sometimes gets a thanks but Im sure most have heard that a million times and think I'm a liar.

Chrongen wrote: »

In Berlin, the hobos would just collect glass bottles and never tried to beg at me. The only people I saw begging were, you guessed it, gipsies. I'd be willing to bet that they're at it in Amsterdam too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I support charities like SvP etc
    I will give a smoke on occasion but never/rarely money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

pgj2015 wrote: »
    That was a bit harsh of you, I once had a beggar who asked me for a euro, I gave her the euro and then bought her a nice apartment, a car and a holiday in Spain.

You and other soft touches are the reason it'll never stop. We'll all end up with multiple mortgages. THANKS A LOT.

You could be standing in the street or outside a bar having a cigarette and nobody ever hits you up for a smoke and/or spare change.

There are drugs in Holland, there is alcohol in holland, there is poverty in holland and there is (I'm sure) homelessness in holland yet I have never seen people sleeping in doorways nor have I ever been approached for money or smokes in YEARS. It's an hourly occurrence in Dublin.

About 8 years ago in Amsterdam, we got bothered by the same homeless man every night when out partying etc. One of the lads gave him money the first night. On our last night, he got so annoyed that we said no and ignored him that he said if he sees us again he is gonna slice our faces.

Most likely a threat he would never carry out but you can never know with a homeless junkie. Needless to say, I was glad we were leaving the next afternoon.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »

Another condescending little quip from the master.

Feel better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

There's a very simple solution to stopping begging.

Don't give them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Riddle101 wrote: »

Is she an older lady that shouts at you loudly? She tried make me go to an atm for her before then a few days later came into our salon asking to have her nails done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Because in The Netherlands, the drugs centres are spread all out over cities.
    So everybody can enjoy a few junkies in their neighbourhood.
    Apart from the the better neighbourhoods of course where the elite resides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭lorcand1990

Don't give them money.

In theory that way of thinking could be used to solve a whole host of issues.. In reality there will always be people who give to beggars

The ones that annoy me more are the chuggars. I would walk on the edge of a path or go out of my way not to engage with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We never really get beggars in our area. Just people collecting for local clubs/groups.

• Advertisement

Don't give them money.

I know, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's a beggar on the corner here, that says, "spare some change I could be anything".

"You can't be a chooser" says I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Pricks.

Haha! Very funny😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

razorblunt wrote: »
    There's a beggar on the corner here, that says, "spare some change I could be anything".

"You can't be a chooser" says I.

He might just be waiting at a location where he happened to have
    first met his ex girlfriend on the basis that she also will decide to
    travel to this location at which point they can resolve outstanding
    issues and get back together again.

I gave a beggar a fiver once. Had a few drinks on me and was feeling generous. I kinda knew him, in a sense, as I would always see him outside the same shop in an area I was living at the time.

Seemed like a nice fella. I bought him the odd sandwich, had a chat and gave him a smoke or two when I was heading to the shop.

I moved away since. Dunno what happened him.

I've had no rapport with any other beggar since. That's my story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

wakka12 wrote: »

I don't get the term 'genuine' as applicable to a beggar on an Irish street in 2018.

What did you intend by that adjective?

We have a long-established social welfare system here.

In Berlin, the hobos would just collect glass bottles and never tried to beg at me. The only people I saw begging were, you guessed it, gipsies. I'd be willing to bet that they're at it in Amsterdam too.

Yeah, in Dusseldorf people just collect cans and bottles and redeem them. The town gets a free-recycling service and the homeless get cash win-win. In holland though there isn't the same cash back for cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭rondog

I dunno why but Beggars really annoy me.
    I despise those Roma gypsy beggars and don't know why we allow them in the country,they have zero qualifications and zero to add to the country expect scams and begging.They were exposed in a documentary previously that its their livelihood and they are professional beggars that make a good deal of money from it.
    I also despise Junkies asking for schmokes and a euro for a hostel.
    I was eating my lunch in a spar before and a junkie came if out of her head and sat beside me asking for a bite of my sandwhich,I said no and she asked to buy her a cup of tea.I couldn't help it but let rip at her and told her to fcuk off.

the older I get and the more bills i have to pay and the more taxes I get the more I despise free loaders with a passion.
    All these reports of people getting free housing ,HAP schemes were people basically have rental allowance of up to 2k a month while the normal person struggles with their mortgages.
    It seems the less you work for these days the more you get.

About 8 years ago in Amsterdam, we got bothered by the same homeless man every night when out partying etc. One of the lads gave him money the first night. On our last night, he got so annoyed that we said no and ignored him that he said if he sees us again he is gonna slice our faces.

Most likely a threat he would never carry out but you can never know with a homeless junkie. Needless to say, I was glad we were leaving the next afternoon.

Should have jumped him there and then and beat the bollocks out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    I've recently seen a woman begging the past few days on Henry Street near Arnotts, where the old HMV used to be.  Poor woman has no nose, it's quite shocking to see.  Would love to know her story.

How does she smell?

Don't give them money.

Yawn.

I don't give them money. They still ask. Your "know-it-all solution" is bullshit.

No I only give it to the odd one, I probably give out a euro 2 or 3 times if Im in town for the day. As I said I generally just don't really notice them but everyone seems very put out by them!

topper75 wrote: »
    I don't get the term 'genuine' as applicable to a beggar on an Irish street in 2018.

What did you intend by that adjective?

We have a long-established social welfare system here.

If they look sad/miserable/pathetic I give them a euro. Whether Im right or wrong or they're scamming me I don't care, if they make me feel bad I just give them a bit of money. Maybe its just good acting, but I don't really care that much its so little money in the grand scheme of things

Just recalled I also had a standoff with a drugged up pikey lady adamant she'd get a few quid out of me with her junkie boyfriend.

Felt a bit sorry for her initially, but when they went reaching and got a bit serious she got wrenched away and thrown to the ground (through her own weight and sloppiness tbh - the fella wasn't the aggressor at all) on the pavement and I just ran. Can't be dealing with a mugging.

I'm usually okay when things go down (or so I thought) but it definitely raised the pressure a few notches. To me, they were hardcore, on an opportunity and going nowhere.

I had to go back to work too:) I was on my lunch! Probably returned a bit pale, but I'm annoyed knowing that I'm both fight and then flight in a funny situation. I'd rather just do the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement