Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transit 160'000 miles worth converting?

Options
  • 21-02-2018 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

Iv been looking at transits for converting. Mileage I've been looking at has been around the 120 mark 05 - 07.

Any way I just met a guy with a 03 that has 160'000 milage but he has all the service history documents and changed all parts down to the mile they were meant to be changed.

Even has the receipts to prove same oil was used through out the history of the van (during the services).

Would this be far more reliable than a newer van with lower mileage?

Looking to drive it to the alps to live in for the summer and then drive down to Spain for the winter season.

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Its a mk6 so. Imho if it is well looked after as it sounds like it has you'll be sound. Rust on the sills and arches is transit nemisis. Fuel pumps also but i swear by mine. google ford transit forums for more answers but obviously depends on how much is being sold for. parts are easily available and reasonable depending on the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Mileage sounds reasonable for the age and should be good for quite another bit if everything is in order.

Just to note, I think the model changed around 06. Newer headlights and engine. I found the later models to be quite soft. Keep an eye on the model weight limit too. iirc, some of them had GVW of less than 3.5ton so you would not have a huge payload etc.

Personally, from that era, I like the 2.3 Iveco Daily or the Mercedes Sprinter up to 2006. Both great vans

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As above, rust is the enemy, don’t underestimate how much can be on an otherwise clean looking van, definitely get it up on a lift before you buy. Budget for preventive work as well.
    My feeling would it makes little difference whether it’s an 03 or an 07 and condition is more important.

Advertisement