Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sevilla vs Manchester United-1945-Champions League-Round of 16-1st Leg Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Decent result for both teams. Surprised with navas at rb I thought he had an excellent game. I think a front 3 of martial Sanchez and rashford would serve utd much better. Its too easy to play it long when you have lukaku up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Good result. Controlled performance.
    We will win at OT.

I think another team drew here this year also if I can remember.

I think i remember that game. There were 6 goals in it.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup, and were bloody annoyed by it. Surprised ye're not.

I think that point is being lost Rebel !!

• ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup, and were bloody annoyed by it. Surprised ye're not.

In the CL knockouts? No not really.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Im sitting here scratching my head listening to them.

"Sevilla have a mountain to climb in the next leg"

"Great controlled performance from United"

We were incredibly fortunate to get away with a draw.
    Controlled performance ha they couldn't even control the ball

• I think i remember that game. There were 6 goals in it.

Two poor defences it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In the CL knockouts? No not really.

ninja edited the post above (but just not quick enough!)... good result for yee the way it panned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I think i remember that game. There were 6 goals in it.

Lol. And a awful mess after one team shat the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

At least we got to see the quality of Pogba ina 3 man midfield......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Haha united have no hope in that competition with the quality of other teams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The most expensively assembled united team in history, with one of the highest weekly wages ever in football, managed by one of the highest paid managers ever......

....and you get a performance that Tony Pulis would get out of a bunch of championship rejects, abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Reminds me of when Ireland came away from Denmark with a 0-0 coming into the home leg. Media/fans were saying it was a grea result and we were in the driving seat... yeh, wrong there - away goals give the power.

0-0 is not a good nor an ideal result for Man United. Obviously they’ll be favourites to win the 2nd leg anyway but a Sevilla goal can make things fall apart.

Good result for Sevilla

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    At least we got to see the quality of Pogba ina 3 man midfield......

£90m :eek:

• ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ninja edited the post above (but just not quick enough!)... good result for yee the way it panned out.

They were always going to have chances at home. I've already said only city have beaten these at home in 36 games.

It's all about progressing in the CL.

I'm confident we will do at home and play more adventurously like we have been at home in the CL this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup, and were bloody annoyed by it.

Given the way the game panned out it was a good result for Utd though. Seville will be kicking themselves for their finishing. Should be taking something they could hold onto to Old Trafford, but as it stands, they've probably had their chance.

If Utd were brought up on a City, Liverpool of Arsenal match thread, straight away their fans would be in saying "what have Utd got to do with this game" yet the can't stop referencing Liverpool on this thread. Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

We will win at OT.

I assume you’re referring to Liverpool’s draw. Totally fail to see the relevance of a group match when Moreno did his “magic” to a knockout phase game.

Utd were awful tonight and I don’t see how any Utd fan can really enjoy these controlled performances

With the squad they have and the money spent you would expect them to go out and dominate this game.

Would love to know what Ferguson sitting in the stands thought of tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yep. And United couldn't muster a shot in anger tonight against one of them.
    Looks like they'll have to throw more money at it in the summer. Sanchez , lukaku , pogba all anonymous tonight.

Anti-Football say RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It was mainly due to poor finishing that United came out of that with anything. Solid result but very far from controlled. Still expect them to progress in the home leg but handy draw for any of the big boys next round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We will win at OT.

Controlled. Sevilla had 25 shots. Man u 6 shots.
    8 for sevile on target. 1 for united. That is hardly in control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

7 great knockout ties. 27 goals. Free flowing football and along come utd. Nil Nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Anti-Football say RTE.

As much as I hated them, at least you’d be entertained by Fergie’s teams. This lot are absolutely turgid to endure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Decent result for both teams,Sevilla slightly the better team. Utd came for 0-0 and Jose will be delighted. Are utd fans happy to watch football like this? It was MON all over and after 4 games he has destroyed Alexis and he looks lost,as a pool supporter i"m delighted, but would hate to play them over 2 legs in CL

As much as I hated them, at least you’d be entertained by Fergie’s teams. This lot are absolutely turgid to endure.

I prefer Jose tbh.

• Good performance from Mctominey tonight. This type of CL game-time bodes well for him

Would have preferred Shaw for Young but Young did defend well tbf

Lukaku works hard too. Shame about his miss early in the first half

Actually thought a really good chance fell to Rashford near end of the game that he should have buried

The layoff from Pogba was nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As far away now as when Moyes was appointed

Can't argue with that

Still though, at least the tie is still alive.

I daresay 4 of the 8 are already pretty done and dusted after the first leg (maybe only 3 if you give PSG a chance, but i reckon a 2 goal deficit is too much to make up without leaving themselves open at the back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Sevilla were absolutely infuriating to watch.

So much great play to get through on goal maybe a dozen times, but only really able to test De Gea 2 or 3 times at best.

That Correa lad was utterly attrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Bad result for United I think. This whole "draw away, win at home" shtick is all well and good if your good enough to go and dominate the second leg. This is a poor enough United team and Seville won't let them dominate possession so I think it's 50/50 really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Funny seeing people talk about how Fergie's sides didn't play like this.

In the 2008 semi-final 1st leg with Barcelona, United came away with a 0-0 result. Ronaldo started up top that game - one of the first times this was tried in a big game - and many critics queried the ultra defensive display from United that saw a missed penalty from Ronaldo being the only worthwhile thing United could offer as Barcelona dominated possession and chances.

What happened next? At Old Trafford in the 2nd leg, Scholes blasted in a screamer and United went on to win the tie 1-0, reaching the final and subsequently beating Chelsea and lifting the Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Archetypal Mourinho away leg in the Champions League.

If you're happy with José as manager, you can't be upset with that. As always, he trusts that his team will win the home leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don’t get all the surprise at the performance. It was a textbook Mourinho performance, everyone behind the ball and try nick an away goal. I think the worrying thing is that he is trying to do it with poor players like Smalling, Lindelof etc so Sevilla still created a good few clear cut chances and were let down by bad finishing.

You’d expect United to win the 2nd leg but should be interesting with both teams going for it, although if they do go through it’s hard to see them going much further in the competition with Mourinho’s tactics as other teams won’t be as wasteful.

That Correa lad was utterly attrocious.

He does all this great stuff in the build up to create a chance, and then undoes it all instantly with a terrible strike. Reminds me of myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Yeah both ****e. Surprised tonight was 0-0.

• Funny seeing people talk about how Fergie's sides didn't play like this.

In the 2008 semi-final 1st leg with Barcelona, United came away with a 0-0 result. Ronaldo started up top that game - one of the first times this was tried in a big game - and many critics queried the ultra defensive display from United that saw a missed penalty from Ronaldo being the only worthwhile thing United could offer as Barcelona dominated possession and chances.

What happened next? At Old Trafford in the 2nd leg, Scholes blasted in a screamer and United went on to win the tie 1-0, reaching the final and subsequently beating Chelsea and lifting the Cup.

Some are fixated on helter skelter football these days and that's ok.
    When it comes to crunch time however it doesn't win trophies.

:rolleyes:

Picking out a game or two really makes your point strong.

Ferguson's philosopy was polar from the Special one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barcelona not a poor Sevilla side. It's a distinct lack of confidence and risky for the home leg if they score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Banega was literally the only thing that made that match watchable. He had 10 key passes, the next best for either side was 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

2008 Barcelona = 2018 Sevilla ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Good performance from Mctominey tonight. This type of CL game-time bodes well for him

Would have preferred Shaw for Young but Young did defend well tbf

Lukaku works hard too. Shame about his miss early in the first half

Actually thought a really good chance fell to Rashford near end of the game that he should have buried

The layoff from Pogba was nice

Rashford hit with his right foot and was always going pull it, I don't know why he didn't hit it with his left and curl it inside the right post.

• Advertisement

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

And Uniteds attack stank the place out against both of them when they met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

niallo27 wrote: »
    7 great knockout ties. 27 goals. Free flowing football and along come utd. Nil Nil.

Exactly. How dare United ruin the fun for teams like Porto, Beskitas, PSG with their "clean sheet".

That was a top class Barcelona side managed by Guardiola. Tonight it was Sevilla

I do always remember Utd in Europe being very much safety first away from home. Often even in games you wouldn't have expected it against inferior opposition. Though I do also remember them grabbing a nice comfortable 0-1 away win against those inferior teams too.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    Rashford hit with his right foot and was always going pull it, I don't know why he didn't hit it with his left and curl it inside the right post.

Correct

Same could be said for Lukakus chance. Why not just put the laces through the ball fs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I don't think United meant to play either leg v Barca defensively in 08. It was an unfancied, in transition Barca who surprised United by raising their game for the occasion, due to a young Messi playing a blinder in the playmaker role

Some are fixated on helter skelter football these days and that's ok.
    When it comes to crunch time however it doesn't win trophies.

Seriously Mick. Are you really enjoying watching Utd these days? Plenty of Utd fans I know find them awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

He's comparing the approach, not the teams and you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This mighty Sevilla team were thumped by Spartak Moscow and drew with maribor in the group stages.

Advertisement