Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sevilla vs Manchester United-1945-Champions League-Round of 16-1st Leg Match Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

He's comparing the approach, not the teams and you know it.

The approach should adjust based on the team you’re facing, and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United need to beat Chelsea and Liverpool at home to keep in top 4.
    Potential to be 1 pt ahead of Spurs this weekend if , Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs win their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He's comparing the approach, not the teams and you know it.

Tbf, City fans had no reason to have any interest in the champions league up to 2008 considering they were only founded that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The negative reaction tonight to Jose's tactics was similarly said about Ferguson's tactics that night against Barcelona in 2008.

I actually found the thread on Boards via the search function. A selection of some of the post-game comments to United drawing 0-0 with Barcelona in the first leg:
    absolutely rubbish performance from United. snuffed them out well at the back but we offered nothing going forward. Advantage Barcelona.

god damn terrible crap.
    We have been abysmal tonight. Even if you are playing a cautious game, it shouldn't be too much to ask to get a pass right ffs
    "It's alright Mr. Bus Driver, just park her there"
    Thanks United, you've ruined my faith in football.
    ye wish ye had a european performance to match liverpool,
    utd simply do not.
    Best team in the world? What a joke. Team selection, performance, attitude, all abysmal. Only one team interested in playing football, here's hoping they go through in the second leg.
    that was awful, fergie needs a GPS for europe FFS. Barca dont have an away game like UTD did , barca will do that **** in OT and score as UTD wont/cant sit back.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

P.S. 2008 me wasn't immune from it either. Here's what I said at the time:
    I say that as a United fan. It's time for this hype machine to grind to a halt. Ronaldo dived about the place tonight like a ballerina. This guy is being compared to George Best? Don't make me laugh.

Really disappointed in the performance and in Fergie's tactics.

What a dope!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously Mick. Are you really enjoying watching Utd these days? Plenty of Utd fans I know find them awful

Opposition fans are enjoying it.

Utd fans aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Funny seeing people talk about how Fergie's sides didn't play like this.

In the 2008 semi-final 1st leg with Barcelona, United came away with a 0-0 result. Ronaldo started up top that game - one of the first times this was tried in a big game - and many critics queried the ultra defensive display from United that saw a missed penalty from Ronaldo being the only worthwhile thing United could offer as Barcelona dominated possession and chances.

What happened next? At Old Trafford in the 2nd leg, Scholes blasted in a screamer and United went on to win the tie 1-0, reaching the final and subsequently beating Chelsea and lifting the Cup.

Typically long winded rubbish. Just surprised it didn’t contain a multi quote.

• murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously Mick. Are you really enjoying watching Utd these days? Plenty of Utd fans I know find them awful

Yes why? An away draw in the CL knockouts is a good result.

We've had some poor results this season but majority of the games have been enjoyable.

We are 2nd in the league and in both the CL and FA cup.

As long as a trophy is delivered I'm a happy fan. It's winning the prizes that matters

I don't care for rock and roll football which ends up in a team being empty handed at the end of the season.

Why bother compete if you are not going to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Decent result,we should have enough to beat them at home.

The negative reaction tonight to Jose's tactics was similarly said about Ferguson's tactics that night against Barcelona in 2008.

I actually found the thread on Boards via the search function. A selection of some of the post-game comments to United drawing 0-0 with Barcelona in the first leg:

Oh dear.

Can't believe I'm arguing in Fergies favour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Funny seeing people talk about how Fergie's sides didn't play like this.

In the 2008 semi-final 1st leg with Barcelona, United came away with a 0-0 result. Ronaldo started up top that game - one of the first times this was tried in a big game - and many critics queried the ultra defensive display from United that saw a missed penalty from Ronaldo being the only worthwhile thing United could offer as Barcelona dominated possession and chances.

What happened next? At Old Trafford in the 2nd leg, Scholes blasted in a screamer and United went on to win the tie 1-0, reaching the final and subsequently beating Chelsea and lifting the Cup.

I think that Barca team were quite a bit better than Sevilla though.

Decent draw but a 1-1 would have been better. Away goals for tend to be quite important at this stage of European competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That Barcelona side was arguably the greatest club side ever though. Not Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tbf, City fans had no reason to have any interest in the champions league up to 2008 considering they were only founded that year.

1880 according to this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_City_F.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Fergie knew how to get a result away from home and sometimes resorted to game killing tactics but it was a uncommon over a big sample. But the difference is this is every away match for Mourinho against the big sides and it's really just fortune and poor finishing that gets him a point tonight. His away results against the big sides in the league:

Spurs 2-0 United
    Chelsea 1-0 United
    LIverpool 0-0 United
    Arsenal 2-0 United
    Spurs 2-1 United
    Man City 0-0 United
    Chelsea 4-0 United
    Liverpool 0-0 United

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

That was abysmal from United, with the money spent and the squad of players they have they should be stamping their authority all over a way inferior side. Instead they play like minnows with a backs to the wall all out defensive display, they could barely string a few passes together and resorted to hoofing it to Lukaku so often, just a dire watch. Still expect them to edge through but I doubt anyone will be quaking in their boots after seeing that garbage tonight.

• Rekop dog wrote: »
    Fergie knew how to get a result away from home and sometimes resorted to game killing tactics but it was a uncommon over a big sample. But the difference is this is every away match for Mourinho against the big sides and it's really just fortune and poor finishing that gets him a point tonight. His away results against the big sides in the league:

Spurs 2-0 United
    Chelsea 1-0 United
    LIverpool 0-0 United
    Arsenal 2-0 United
    Spurs 2-1 United
    Man City 0-0 United
    Chelsea 4-0 United
    Liverpool 0-0 United

So it's the PL now and not the CL?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That Barcelona side was arguably the greatest club side ever though. Not Sevilla.

It was a Barca side in poor form as Ronaldinho was fading so much that season & Rijkaard was on his way out the door. I remember an ordinary Real Madrid side hammered them 4-1 around the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

And still beat United the start of the 07/08 season. Not bad for a group of lads playing for a team that wasn't founded yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was one of the greatest United sides too in fairness. The key point worth remembering is Fergie, for all the mythologising of the supposedly sacrosanct attacking strategy he had, he was well able to sit back and defend when he felt it was appropriate. He often did it against Liverpool. The game where John O'Shea got a 1-0 winner at Anfield was a total smash and grab job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

M!Ck^ wrote: »

We've had some poor results this season but majority of the games have been enjoyable.

As long as a trophy is delivered I'm a happy fan. It's winning the prizes that matters

I don't care for rock and roll football which ends up in a team being empty handed at the end of the season.

This was an away draw against Sevilla not Real Madrid, Barcelona or Man City.

If you’re happy with those negative tactics after all the money that was spent then the standards and expectations of United fans has dropped.

You go on about winning trophies but Utd were always competing for premierships and Champion’s Leagues and they don’t have a hope in either this season.

If you’re happy with the FA cup then you’re becoming like Arsenal. I also think it’s possible that’d could miss out on top 4 this season as they’re not playing well at all

• It was one of the greatest United sides too in fairness. The key point worth remembering is Fergie, for all the mythologising of the supposedly sacrosanct attacking strategy he had, he was well able to sit back and defend when he felt it was appropriate. He often did it against Liverpool. The game where John O'Shea got a 1-0 winner at Anfield was a total smash and grab job.

Loved that game. Love that type of win against Liverpool too. An absolute sickener I'd say.

Classic fergie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Mourinho walking out of the interview with TOD:eek:

• murpho999 wrote: »
    This was an away draw against Sevilla not Real Madrid, Barcelona or Man City.

If you’re happy with those negative tactics after all the money that was spent then the standards and expectations of United fans has dropped.

You go on about winning trophies but Utd were always competing for premierships and Champion’s Leagues and they don’t have a hope in either this season.

If you’re happy with the FA cup then you’re becoming like Arsenal. I also think it’s possible that’d could miss out on top 4 this season as they’re not playing well at all

I will let the end of the season judge what Utd have or haven't won thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

ERG89 wrote: »
    It was a Barca side in poor form as Ronaldinho was fading so much that season & Rijkaard was on his way out the door. I remember an ordinary Real Madrid side hammered them 4-1 around the same time.

And Barca had hardly scored in their previous 9 league games, and it was Messi's first game back from injury. People forget how poor Barca were that season, completely in transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

jose was always boring but he won stuff...important stuff....take that away and you have just boring left.
    when things arent going well he singles out a few players, usually big names and "fights" with them

this is his modus operanti ...eventually he will go to PSG and annoy them

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Mourinho walking out of the interview with TOD:eek:

MON punches the air.

So it's the PL now and not the CL?

It's every competition. I could have included last year FA Cup quarter against Chelsea they lost 1-0.

The ultra negativity in these games is reaping very little reward and bar some awful finishing tonight they would have found themselves in a hole. The positive result in the end was in no way thanks to the tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

MON punches the air.

And why wouldnt he it went to plan didnt it we ill beat them 2nd leg everyones a winner

jose was always boring but he won stuff...important stuff....take that away and you have just boring left.
    when things arent going well he singles out a few players, usually big names and "fights" with them

this is his modus operanti ...eventually he will go to PSG and annoy them

True the football is usually crap but he won stuff. The problems always started when he stopped winning stuff. All you're left with then is the crap football. And people don't want to watch that without the trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Anyone on this thread who would think we would attack seville hasnt a clue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Zico ! wrote: »
    Anyone on this thread who would think we would attack seville hasnt a clue

Ya shame on us thinking the self pro claimed biggest club in the world wouldn't attack a poor Sevilla side. :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Never been out of your armchair for a game no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Utd fans no doubt giddy about the fact they are back in knockout stages of the CL and looking forward to the match all week. Unfortunately during the match they then wanted to gouge out their eyeballs with a spoon! Good to see most of them calling it like it was and only a minority of Jose worshippers talking about masterclasses and great away performances!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

It was one of the greatest United sides too in fairness. The key point worth remembering is Fergie, for all the mythologising of the supposedly sacrosanct attacking strategy he had, he was well able to sit back and defend when he felt it was appropriate. He often did it against Liverpool. The game where John O'Shea got a 1-0 winner at Anfield was a total smash and grab job.

Theres a difference between doing it when needed and it being 75% your default tactic. In a team that has alexis sanchez and paul Pogba and one of the most consistent goal scorers of the last 5 years in lukaku , 2 of the most exciting young strikers in the league sitting on the bench til late on and we had 4 attempts on target vs 20 something attempts against a team 5th in la liga who liverpool put 5 past over 2 games. 0-0 isn't even a great result. They score first at ot and we'll be in trouble and even if we get past them we have no chance against the vast majority of the team's left in the competition

He's gotten far more negative in these big ties than he used to be though which is the weird part. His side's were always compact but they still attacked often.

His winning Porto side scored in every away game in the knockouts and 3 in the final.

His winning Inter side scored away from home in the last 16 and the quarters and two in the Final.

So it's a regression in style for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

rob316 wrote: »
    This mighty Sevilla team were thumped by Spartak Moscow and drew with maribor in the group stages.

Didn't the mighty liverpool piss away a 3 goal lead to them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

w0oluh1uh9gz.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sevilla have been involved in some great, mad games this season. This unsurprisingly wasn't one.
    ERG89 wrote: »

It was a dysfunctional disinterested Barcelona team who were undisciplined and had attitude problems, missing training and a split dressing room between Eto'o, Deco, Ronaldinho and Messi as well as desperate performances from the likes of Henry and a manager who had lost control of them. A couple of them cried off that Madrid game.

It's the mess Guardiola inherited. First thing he did was root out the split dressing room and impose fines for being late to training.

They really really really weren't, they weren't even the second best team in Spain that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

limnam wrote: »

Yep but that was down to Liverpool not Sevilla so I don't know how that effects my point. Or are you just looking to make a cheap dig for a few thanks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Mourinho has never been the same since he went to Madrid. Up until then he always set his teams up the way he wanted. At Madrid, he was forced to play a more attacking game (a similar expectation at United). Since he was made do that he lost something in his management, something has always felt "off". His teams haven't even been good defensively since then

• niallo27 wrote: »
    w0oluh1uh9gz.jpg

Ah Niallo, cheap dig and all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

limnam wrote: »

What has that got to do with tonight? Liverpool threw away a lead themselves. It was not through amazing play by Sevilla.

People using the fact that liverpool tried to out score them and ended up 5-5 over 2 games forget that they have mignolet while we have de gea swap keepers and we'd probably have lost 3 nil tonight and still looked unlikely to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Liverpool went out there to win that's the difference

magnumbud wrote: »
    People using the fact that liverpool tried to out score them and ended up 5-5 over 2 games forget that they have mignolet while we have de gea swap keepers and we'd probably have lost 3 nil tonight and still looked unlikely to score

We can arrange that swap. We'll even pay the taxi fare.

Edit: in the two Liverpool Sevilla games, Sevilla had 8 shots on target and scored 5 goals.

Ben Yedder was very good in the group games as well and didn't play tonight so maybe he'll make an appearance in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The context around the Liverpool and united games are completely different. They're not comparable.
    The Liverpool fans I know were also incredibly disappointed with how it developed out there so I don't see how it's used as a stick to beat them with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

rob316 wrote: »
    Yep but that was down to Liverpool not Sevilla so I don't know how that effects my point. Or are you just looking to make a cheap dig for a few thanks?

Oh, was Just Liverpool been shiote.

Carry on

TitianGerm wrote: »
    We can arrange that swap. We'll even pay the taxi fare.

Edit: in the two Liverpool Sevilla games, Sevilla had 8 shots on target and scored 5 goals.

Ben Yedder was very good in the group games as well and didn't play tonight so maybe he'll make an appearance in the second leg.

Keep away from him. Hes the reason we arent far lower in the league

Keep away from him. Hes the reason we arent far lower in the league

Please ????

Though run of games for United coming up. Chelsea, Palace, Liverpool and Sevilla.

Palace is the Monday, Liverpool Saturday and Sevilla the Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Theres a difference between doing it when needed and it being 75% your default tactic. In a team that has alexis sanchez and paul Pogba and one of the most consistent goal scorers of the last 5 years in lukaku , 2 of the most exciting young strikers in the league sitting on the bench til late on and we had 4 attempts on target vs 20 something attempts against a team 5th in la liga who liverpool put 5 past over 2 games. 0-0 isn't even a great result. They score first at ot and we'll be in trouble and even if we get past them we have no chance against the vast majority of the team's left in the competition

He'll be judged on the final score of the tie but I agree that his conservativism in this match may ultimately be a huge risk.

To cone into a match with no intention of pushing for an away goal could cone back to look very ill advised.

I was very surprised I have to say. To do this against a clearly superior footballing side in City, against a dangerous Liverpool attack away from home, is understandable. You can see the pragmatism there.

To do this against a Seville side who im sure are worth less than Everton or Leicester on paper, when your squad is worth hundreds of millions and has a huge fan base that expects you to be challenging at the top end of all competitions is hugely surprising, and would suggest to me that mourinho has very little confidence in his squad.

The game is very finely poised despite sevilla probably being disappointed with the result. United will be forced to come out and play at home and win the game, so the chances should be there for Seville to nick one. If they do I think it's a big struggle for mourinho who will have to pray the likes of Sanchez have a huge match.

For me it's a kind of paradox that this ultra conservative game plan tonight is something of a risky approach in the tie from Mourinho, to be so sure his defence will not concede at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

3-3 away and 2-2 at home would mean Liverpool would progress had that been a knockout tie, as it is a score draw now has Utd fecked should it happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement