Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sevilla vs Manchester United-1945-Champions League-Round of 16-1st Leg Match Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

3-3 away and 2-2 at home would mean Liverpool would progress had that been a knockout tie, as it is a score draw now has Utd fecked should it happen.

United have to win to go through. A win or a score draw and Sevilla are through.

I still think United will win though but Sevilla will be happy not to have conceded tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Never been out of your armchair for a game no doubt

Oh No, you've only gone and rumbled me, what ever shall i do?

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Oh No, you've only gone and rumbled me, what ever shall i do?

:(

bet you like having your tummy rubbed though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Jose is boring. He knows he is boring. But ask him about being boring and he will point out that

In 17 seasons of club management, Mourinho has led his club to win its domestic league eight times, the UEFA Champions League twice and the UEFA Cup/Europa League twice. Between 2003 and 2012, Mourinho did not go a single calendar year without winning at least one trophy.

When you make a deal with the devil, you get what you pay for......

Porto[217]
    Primeira Liga: 2002–03, 2003–04
    Taça de Portugal: 2002–03
    Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2003
    UEFA Champions League: 2003–04
    UEFA Cup: 2002–03

Chelsea[217]
    Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15
    FA Cup: 2006–07
    Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014–15
    FA Community Shield: 2005

Internazionale[217]
    Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
    Coppa Italia: 2009–10
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
    UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

Real Madrid[217]
    La Liga: 2011–12
    Copa del Rey: 2010–11
    Supercopa de España: 2012

Manchester United[217]
    EFL Cup: 2016–17
    FA Community Shield: 2016
    UEFA Europa League: 2016–17

Individual
    Onze d'Or Coach of the Year: 2005[218]
    FIFA World Coach of the Year: 2010[9]
    IFFHS World's Best Club Coach: 2004,[219] 2005,[219] 2010,[219] 2012[219]
    Premier League Manager of the Year: 2004–05,[217] 2005–06,[217] 2014–15[217]
    Premier League Manager of the Month: November 2004,[217] January 2005,[217] March 2007[217]
    Serie A Manager of the Year: 2008–09,[220] 2009–10[221]
    Albo Panchina d'Oro: 2009–10[222]
    Miguel Muñoz Trophy: 2010–11,[223] 2011–12[224]
    UEFA Manager of the Year: 2002–03,[225] 2003–04[225]
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2003,[225] 2004,[225] 2005,[225] 2010[225]
    The 10 Greatest Coaches of the UEFA era[226]
    World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year: 2004,[227] 2005,[227] 2010[227]
    World Soccer Magazine 3rd Greatest Manager of All Time: 2013
    European Coach of the Year—Alf Ramsey Award: 2010
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award: 2005[228]
    La Gazzetta dello Sport Man of the Year: 2010[229]
    International Sports Press Association Best Manager in the World: 2010[230]
    Prémio Prestígio Fernando Soromenho: 2012[231]
    Football Extravaganza's League of Legends (2011)[232]
    Globe Soccer Awards Best Coach of the Year: 2012[233]
    Globe Soccer Awards Best Media Attraction in Football: 2012[234]
    Portuguese Coach of the Century: 2015[4]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Jose is boring. He knows he is boring. But ask him about being boring and he will point out that

In 17 seasons of club management, Mourinho has led his club to win its domestic league eight times, the UEFA Champions League twice and the UEFA Cup/Europa League twice. Between 2003 and 2012, Mourinho did not go a single calendar year without winning at least one trophy.

When you make a deal with the devil, you get what you pay for......

Porto[217]
    Primeira Liga: 2002–03, 2003–04
    Taça de Portugal: 2002–03
    Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2003
    UEFA Champions League: 2003–04
    UEFA Cup: 2002–03

Chelsea[217]
    Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15
    FA Cup: 2006–07
    Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014–15
    FA Community Shield: 2005

Internazionale[217]
    Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
    Coppa Italia: 2009–10
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
    UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

Real Madrid[217]
    La Liga: 2011–12
    Copa del Rey: 2010–11
    Supercopa de España: 2012

Manchester United[217]
    EFL Cup: 2016–17
    FA Community Shield: 2016
    UEFA Europa League: 2016–17

Individual
    Onze d'Or Coach of the Year: 2005[218]
    FIFA World Coach of the Year: 2010[9]
    IFFHS World's Best Club Coach: 2004,[219] 2005,[219] 2010,[219] 2012[219]
    Premier League Manager of the Year: 2004–05,[217] 2005–06,[217] 2014–15[217]
    Premier League Manager of the Month: November 2004,[217] January 2005,[217] March 2007[217]
    Serie A Manager of the Year: 2008–09,[220] 2009–10[221]
    Albo Panchina d'Oro: 2009–10[222]
    Miguel Muñoz Trophy: 2010–11,[223] 2011–12[224]
    UEFA Manager of the Year: 2002–03,[225] 2003–04[225]
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2003,[225] 2004,[225] 2005,[225] 2010[225]
    The 10 Greatest Coaches of the UEFA era[226]
    World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year: 2004,[227] 2005,[227] 2010[227]
    World Soccer Magazine 3rd Greatest Manager of All Time: 2013
    European Coach of the Year—Alf Ramsey Award: 2010
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award: 2005[228]
    La Gazzetta dello Sport Man of the Year: 2010[229]
    International Sports Press Association Best Manager in the World: 2010[230]
    Prémio Prestígio Fernando Soromenho: 2012[231]
    Football Extravaganza's League of Legends (2011)[232]
    Globe Soccer Awards Best Coach of the Year: 2012[233]
    Globe Soccer Awards Best Media Attraction in Football: 2012[234]
    Portuguese Coach of the Century: 2015[4]

Part in bold is the main part to that Paid For :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jose is a busted flush now.

He has been found out by all opposing managers. His style of football is totally against what is winning matches and trophies these days.

He'll always have a team thats difficult to play against, and which may well be involved in the latter stages of leagues or competitions, but I think his winning days are going to be few and far between from here onwards.

He is running out of big clubs to go to as well. Maybe PSG might be his big last hooray, but clubs really need to be asking themselves do they want boring, negative, defensive football with a coach who is always moaning? I think not. Ask any Utd fan are they really happy Jose is in charge?

And I think it was telling that the pundits said last night that if Utd beat Seville at OT, they would be the team most of the remaining teams would want to draw in the quarters, they are that poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

NIMAN wrote: »

He has been found out by all opposing managers. His style of football is totally against what is winning matches and trophies these days.

He'll always have a team thats difficult to play against, and which may well be involved in the latter stages of leagues or competitions, but I think his winning days are going to be few and far between from here onwards.

He is running out of big clubs to go to as well. Maybe PSG might be his big last hooray, but clubs really need to be asking themselves do they want boring, negative, defensive football with a coach who is always moaning? I think not. Ask any Utd fan are they really happy Jose is in charge?

And I think it was telling that the pundits said last night that if Utd beat Seville at OT, they would be the team most of the remaining teams would want to draw in the quarters, they are that poor.

I think a second tier team would suit him better tbh. Porto, a poor Inter etc. Even at Chelsea first time round he didn't throw huge money at it, had a core spine to his team and kept it, just like at Inter and Porto. He should get away from the big money teams like Madrid and United, where there is a bigger expectation to play in a certain way that doesn't suit his management. He should go to AC Milan, he'd revive them and win a Champions League. And he seems to perform better under a limited budget as he's forced to work with weaker players. He makes them believe they are world beaters, yet seems to struggle to get the best out of big name players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he won 2 trophies last season.

listen, I'm not a huge fan of Mourinho. I don't like his style. I don't enjoy watching it. Games involving his teams, especially against good teams, are turgid to watch. and as a consumer of football, it just isn't for me.

but you can't say he's a busted flush yet. it might be coming down the line soon, but he's won more in the last 4 years than the vast majority of the most vaunted coaches in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think a second tier team would suit him better tbh. Porto, a poor Inter etc. Even at Chelsea first time round he didn't throw huge money at it, had a core spine to his team and kept it, just like at Inter and Porto. He should get away from the big money teams like Madrid and United, where there is a bigger expectation to play in a certain way that doesn't suit his management. He should go to AC Milan, he'd revive them and win a Champions League. And he seems to perform better under a limited budget as he's forced to work with weaker players. He makes them believe they are world beaters, yet seems to struggle to get the best out of big name players

He'd make Milan win the CL? Based on what exactly?

I would say he hasn't really operated on a 'limited budget' since his Porto days. I'm sure he spent plenty of money at Inter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It was a poor enough performance, despite it being dressed up as 'controlled' or whatever.

But Mourinho is hardly a busted flush is he. His team are second in the league and probably favourites to go through against Seville.

I don't think United fans will be too worried about the style of football, as long as it looks like bringing success. I think most fans, deep down, would take hoofing their way to a PL or EL title over a free-flowing approach that sees them finish down the list.

What might worry them is that success doesn't look all that realistic at the moment (to me at least). Man City are miles ahead of everybody else in the PL, and presumably have the financial muscle to maintain that gap, and I don't think Man United are close to being good enough at that conservative approach (defending, but also, and especially, hitting teams on the break) to win the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

He'd make Milan win the CL? Based on what exactly?

I would say he hasn't really operated on a 'limited budget' since his Porto days. I'm sure he spent plenty of money at Inter?

He spent a bit of money everywhere, but like at Porto, he built Inter and Chelsea on a core group of players who mixed talent with a workmanlike approach, the perfect blend for his functional tactics. They were never the biggest players in the world. Since then, particularity at Madrid and United, what he does best has been mired down dealing with big ego's and heightened expectations of how the big clubs should play.

I believe he'd do a job in Milan, similar to what he did with Porto and Inter, a team currently with rock bottom expectations and not adverse to championing defending. Without big money, forced to identify talented players who have under-achieved in their career, and instill them with renewed belief. This is when Mourinho is at his best imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I wouldn't say he's a busted flush, but he is definitely a shadow of his former self. If he was to miss out on Champions League next year with United it would be an epic failure on his part though, and perhaps the start of his downfall, or maybe a point where he takes a break from the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I wouldn't say he's a busted flush, but he is definitely a shadow of his former self. If he was to miss out on Champions League next year with United it would be an epic failure on his part though, and perhaps the start of his downfall, or maybe a point where he takes a break from the game.

What are you basing him missing out on the CL on
    He is higher in the table this year compared to last :confused:

irishman86 wrote: »
    What are you basing him missing out on the CL on
    He is higher in the table this year compared to last :confused:

Yes, and he only secured it last year thanks to the get out of jail lottery win of a Europa League lineup.

He doesn’t have that freebie this year. They are in a battle for top 4, that’s all I’m saying.

You think he is guaranteed top 4?

If he misses out, it will be the biggest failure of his career.

Yes, and he only secured it last year thanks to the get out of jail lottery win of a Europa League lineup.

He doesn’t have that freebie this year. They are in a battle for top 4, that’s all I’m saying.

You think he is guaranteed top 4?

If he misses out, it will be the biggest failure of his career.

Ya i think hes guaranteed top 4
    Any team below him should get more criticism alas thats not how logic works around here

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote: »
    Ya i think hes guaranteed top 4
    Any team below him should get more criticism alas thats not how logic works around here

So Burnley should get more criticism than poor ol poverty stricken José endless funds Mourinho?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :pac:

So Burnley should get more criticism than poor ol poverty stricken Josndless funds Mourinho?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :pac:

The fact thats the team you pick
    Well.................

You clearly said any team below him should get more criticism.

Duh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He meant any team lower in the chasing pack. You know he meant that as its blindingly obvious. Teams ALSO chasing top 4. Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs. Those teams. His argument is, it would also be a disaster if THEY also missed top 4 and they have less points so why is only Jose getting the treatment?

I don't agree with him but I can see his point clearly, as can you. You are being obtuse for the sake of it.

And the "Duh" makes you sound like a 12 year old yank. Does you no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

But surely you can see the point that missing out on top 4 is considered a bigger failure for Mourinho because of the resources available to him compared to all the clubs below him.

• Advertisement

rgace wrote: »
    But surely you can see the point that missing out on top 4 is considered a bigger failure for Mourinho because of the resources available to him compared to all the clubs below him.

Chelsea won 2 of the last 3 premier leagues United finished top 4 once in them years. Not finishing top 4 isnt acceptable for jose but neither should it be for chelsea

Advertisement