Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on termination notice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

OP here. I've calmed down a small bit after the initial shock of getting the termination notice.

On reflection I've decided I'm not going to do anything and take it on the chin.

I'll have a think about whether I'll do anything after the fact e.g. When he moves new tenants in for way more rent I might stop by and tell them what we were paying and let them do whatever they wish.

Thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Paddy1234 wrote: »

I'll have a think about whether I'll do anything after the fact e.g. When he moves new tenants in for way more rent I might stop by and tell them what we were paying and let them do whatever they wish.

If he actually does that then you have a nailed on case for illegal eviction. The RTB have been awarding tenants circa 5,000 in compensation for instances of illegal eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If he actually does that then you have a nailed on case for illegal eviction. The RTB have been awarding tenants circa 5,000 in compensation for instances of illegal eviction.

I have no interest in suing him - i just wanted to wipe the grin off his face after he hired a solicitor to do up the notice and he ends up getting it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Oh, you're the guy from that other thread...makes more sense why you'd consider getting all nitpicky on the LL, heh. Still, though, I'd just use the notice period to find yourself a good place to move to and then keep an eye on it and take things to the RTB if it turns out the LL really is taking the piss and booting you for more rent. It's ****ty if that's what he is doing, but I think it'll be much less stress for you in the end to just roll with it and then bring the pain to your former LL after the fact if need be than to start a long drawn-out battle with him by challenging the notice or overholding and still end up having to move out eventually anyway. (Plus, a ~5k judgement awarded against him plus whatever his new tenant sues for in rent overpayment would definitely wipe that grin away and then some, so don't discount that option...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

davo10 wrote: »
    The op has 28 days to open a dispute, LL will be notified, new, correct notice given, delay of a couple of weeks, op house searching in an awful market with higher rent and no reference. Can you see the bigger picture here, or are you focused on the notice?

Are you assuming the RTB will wait for 6 months to inform the LL that a dispute was opened 5 months previously? The day the RTB informs the LL, a new notice will be given to the op.

The op is going to be evicted, be it in October or a couple of weeks later, 7 months is a good length of time to find a new property, the search will have a better chance of succeeding with a good reference and an amicable split with the LL, he could of course focus on the 24hr error like you advise, but the op won't have a snow balls chance in hell of getting another place, a serial killer with a good reference would probably get in before him.

When I was at school there was always this threat of a bad reference. The headmaster eventually refused to give me any reference at all. Did me no harm. I got on just fine without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

4ensic15 wrote: »
    When I was at school there was always this threat of a bad reference. The headmaster eventually refused to give me any reference at all. Did me no harm. I got on just fine without it.

Can you see how a rental and a school reference might differ?

How would that have worked out if you applied to move school which required a reference and your headmaster told the new school you were a complete wally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

How would that have worked out if you applied to move school which required a reference and your headmaster told the new school you were a complete wally?

They're different for sure but the point still stands that lack of a good reference is rarely a major stumbling block for anyone with a bit of cop-on. Plenty of ways around it if you don't have a reliable reference from you last landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I got over all problems of not having a school reference, so I would get over any problem. As for headmasters telling each other someone is a wally, you would be better able to answer that.

Advertisement