Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a €175 Bank Draft

Options
  • 21-02-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi team, 

I need to get a €175 Bank Draft to the Secretary General, Department of Justice and Equality. The Dept. of Justice only accepts bank drafts, so there is no way around it. I've contacted BOI customer services and was told no exception will be made for me as a customer, because your policy is minimum €500 bank draft. 

I know exceptions have been made for customers in the past for this particular reason and need to avail of the same. 

Please advise,
    Julia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's confirmed in this thread that you can get one for less than €500 for Government payments.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057842170

Seems like staff don't know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JuliaGelezova

Wheety wrote: »
    It's confirmed in this thread that you can get one for less than €500 for Government payments.

Seems like staff don't know this.
    Yes, this seems to be it! I have googled this extensively and saw that exceptions are possible, yet when I contacted BOI I hit a wall. Basically, the staff are not informed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi team, 

I need to get a €175 Bank Draft to the Secretary General, Department of Justice and Equality. The Dept. of Justice only accepts bank drafts, so there is no way around it. I've contacted BOI customer services and was told no exception will be made for me as a customer, because your policy is minimum €500 bank draft. 

I know exceptions have been made for customers in the past for this particular reason and need to avail of the same. 

Please advise,
    Julia

Hi Julia,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Once the Draft is for a governmental agency and you inform the cashiers in the branch of this they should then be able to issue a Draft for you for this amount. I'd ask you to have your Bank of Ireland account details and photo ID with you when purchasing this draft.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Califorian

Hi I have a similar dilemma. I am not a BOI customer and bank with Danske bank. Is it possible to go into a BOI branch with cash and pay for a draft for €175 to the Dept of Justice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Califorian wrote: »
    Hi I have a similar dilemma. I am not a BOI customer and bank with Danske bank.  Is it possible to go into a BOI branch with cash and pay for a draft for €175 to the Dept of Justice?

Hi Califorian,

Thanks for the question.
    You would need to be a Bank of Ireland account holder to purchase any kind of Draft from us. I'd ask you to contact your account holding bank and query this with them.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Denelle

Hi there.
    I have just tried to go to a BOI branch in Sandyford and I was told that I need an account to get any bank drafts. When I said I did not have an account the agent walked away from me without giving me the time of day to explain why I needed one, and to see if the exception for a government agency draft applied to me. 

So to ask a very clear question. If there is an exception for BOI to issue a bank draft for a Government agency for an amount less than 500, Do I need to also be BOI customer (Have an account with BOI) As someone else mentioned, Its not ideal to have to open an account just to get a one time Bank Draft. I appreciate your response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Denelle wrote: »
    Hi there.
    I have just tried to go to a BOI branch in Sandyford and I was told that I need an account to get any bank drafts. When I said I did not have an account the agent walked away from me without giving me the time of day to explain why I needed one, and to see if the exception for a government agency draft applied to me. 

So to ask a very clear question. If there is an exception for BOI to issue a bank draft for a Government agency for an amount less than 500, Do I need to also be BOI customer (Have an account with BOI) As someone else mentioned, Its not ideal to have to open an account just to get a one time Bank Draft. I appreciate your response.

Hi Denelle,

Thank you for getting in touch.

As advised by my colleague above you would need to be a Bank of Ireland customer to purchase a draft in a BOI Branch.

If you check with your holding bank they may offer the same service.

Many Thanks.

John

Advertisement