Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to city before 6.30am

Options
  • 21-02-2018 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hey all,

Living in Rush and I've just gotten a new job and need to be in town by 6.30 - 7.00, need to get to Burlington Road. Thought the train would be an option but unfortunately not, 33x is out too.

Without driving into the city centre the only options I have worked out are:

Drive to Swords and park up in random estate taking swords express.

Drive to Boombridge and park on random street taking Luas.

Are there any more obvious/easier options anyone can offer?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Drive to Balrothery & get one of the early Bus reann 101 or 101X buses. Afaik they go to Wilton Terrace so only a short walk from there to Burlo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Csalem

The 0450 33 from Balbriggan (which goes through Rush) should get you to O'Connell Street by around 06:10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Drive to Boombridge and park on random street taking Luas.

Wouldn't advise it tbh, people who do this are being clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What time will you be starting work, 6.30 or 7?

There's an earlier train from Howth Junction arriving to Grand Canal Dock at 6.36am which is plenty of time to walk to Burlington Rd for 7am. You'd find reasonably safe parking local to a number of stations at that time. Sutton (paid) / Howth Junction (free with a short walk but probably the least safe) / Raheny (paid) / Clontarf (paid)

Will they provide you with a parking space? If so traffic that early will be fine. If youre leaving at 3 or 3.30 it will be grand getting home too if you can hit Drumcondra before 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The 4.50am 33 service from Balbriggan goes through Rush around 5.15am and gets to Dublin around 6.15am.

EDIT: Just see that Csalem has already stated this.

...or get on your bike, leave when you want, beat the traffic, no fuel costs, no parking charges, keep fit and always guaranteed a seat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

sdanseo wrote: »
    What time will you be starting work, 6.30 or 7?

There's an earlier train from Howth Junction arriving to Grand Canal Dock at 6.36am which is plenty of time to walk to Burlington Rd for 7am. You'd find reasonably safe parking local to a number of stations at that time. Sutton (paid) / Howth Junction (free with a short walk but probably the least safe) / Raheny (paid) / Clontarf (paid)

Will they provide you with a parking space? If so traffic that early will be fine. If youre leaving at 3 or 3.30 it will be grand getting home too if you can hit Drumcondra before 4.

Cheers have to be there by 7 in general but closer to 6.30 If we have events etc.
    No parking space unfortunately, have looked at renting one as an option but can't guarantee leaving on time given the nature of the work and have the fear of getting accross the city if it's after 5pm.

Probably going to try a few of the suggestions on here and see what suits me best.

Appreciate the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

An employer who expects you to be in before public transport is workable should be providing taxis or a parking space. If they aren't, seriously reconsider the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

L1011 wrote: »
    An employer who expects you to be in before public transport is workable should be providing taxis or a parking space. If they aren't, seriously reconsider the job.

But is it the employer's issue that the new employee lives in rush?

I employ two people that live in rural areas without public transport, should I pay taxi fare every day for them

In anycase, there's 24/7 public transport in Dublin - you just need to find it and try work with it as the op is doing.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    But is it the employer's issue that the new employee lives in rush?

I employ two people that live in rural areas without public transport, should I pay taxi fare every day for them

In anycase, there's 24/7 public transport in Dublin - you just need to find it and try work with it as the op is doing.

Don't offer them a job if they can't get there or you are imposing city centre parking charges on them. Pretty simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Drive to Beaumont, cycle over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Don't offer them a job if they can't get there or you are imposing city centre parking charges on them. Pretty simple.

So because someone is not on a public transport route they should not be offered a job?

Seriously??

Peatys wrote: »
    Drive to Beaumont, cycle over.
    Why Beaumont?

The car park at the Church of the Holy Child in Whitehall would be a much better option if doing it that way as there's no parking charge and it's much more accessible from Rush as it's just past the end of the motorway.

That's a ludicrous suggestion. When I interview people I would never ever take the address supplied into consideration. It's doesn't form any park of the interview or marking process and I suspect it would be illegal to discriminate that way.

Our staff are often rostered for duty when there is no public transport available to them such as early on Sunday/Bank holiday mornings, Christmas Day etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Why Beaumont?

The car park at the Church of the Holy Child in Whitehall would be a much better option if doing it that way as there's no parking charge and it's much more accessible from Rush as it's just past the end of the motorway.

I'm from there.. so just know it!! :D

CeilingFly wrote: »
    So because someone is not on a public transport route they should not be offered a job?

Seriously??

If you want them to start at an incredibly early time and aren't offering a parking space, yes.

Buy sodding parking spaces if you want staff in early - don't expect people to pay huge amounts of post-tax income if you are basically requiring them to do so.
    Our staff are often rostered for duty when there is no public transport available to them such as early on Sunday/Bank holiday mornings, Christmas Day etc.

Do you offer them parking?

If so, fine

If not, you are being rather irresponsible and forcing costs on them that you should be taking. This is very simple, I don't see why people are acting so horrified at the idea that an employer might have to not be nasty.

Do you offer them parking?

If so, fine
    Yes, there is parking available but many staff do not have their own transport. My point is that staff transport arrangements form no part of the recruitment/interview selection process..
    L1011 wrote:
    If not, you are being rather irresponsible and forcing costs on them that you should be taking. This is very simple, I don't see why people are acting so horrified at the idea that an employer might have to not be nasty.
    We get enough grief in the public service about some staff having access to free parking without absorbing further transport costs. That would be considered to be irresponsible by many tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Paddytheman - Any thought on how you'll tackle this? The early 33 sounds good.

Yes sounds like the best option at present, saves me leaving the car somewhere halfway and having to return to collect it that evening. Can even take the train home with the early 33 in the morning.

Have seen parking spaces for €100 near work so could even try that for a week but the idea of cross city traffic at 5pm would be soul destroying!!

Appreciate all the advice on here as usual ��

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

And how has the 04:50 33 worked out?

It never did Im afraid.

Using a combination of driving in and parking in one of the few free parking streets in Dublin, 20min walk to work, in for around 6:30 and can be finished by 3pm beating the traffic home. An hour door to door as long as nothing comes up after lunch...did get stuck in work till 4 a few days and getting home after 6.

Otherwise gettng the 6.15 train and arriving around 7.15, prefer this method as theres no fear if I cant get away on time and not constantly trying to beat traffic, find shortcuts and abusing bus lanes....not what you need every evening and fairly soul destroying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement