Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange error message at eir webmail login

Options
  • 21-02-2018 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

My husband and I no longer have an account with eir (due to unusable landline etc), but we both have eircom.net addresses that remain important to us, being linked to pension, health & other government services, banking, etc.  I’m posting on his behalf, as I’m dealing with email for both of us (he’s not very computer-literate and my phone’s currently our only working internet device).

He’s been trying to log in to eir webmail, in order to make sure his account doesn’t become “dormant” and get shut down, but he’s getting this error message (in both Chrome and Opera);

“For security reasons, access to eircom net webmail is not available from your present location. Subscription customers may however access their mail using a POP mail client using their email username and password and pop mail server setting 'mail1.eircom.net'."

I sometimes go to eir webmail directly if troubleshooting etc, and I have no problem logging in.  I’m flummoxed!  Our eircom.net accounts are identical in all but username (and were started on the same date).  Both work fine through the extra hop of a 3rd party viewer.  Same device (with only 1 lot of settings); same browsers.  Same wifi network, precisely the same location, and I don’t think he’s been out of our county for years!

We need to sort this ASAP - any ideas?

I wasn’t aware that we can’t use a POP mail client any more, as I don’t have one in my phone, and we’ve been managing it recently through a 3rd-party webmail viewer (myemail, & previously mail2web).  (We find its interface easier to view and manage, especially on this little screen).  This is another puzzle - could someone explain, please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Fogmatic wrote: »
    My husband and I no longer have an account with eir (due to unusable landline etc), but we both have eircom.net addresses that remain important to us, being linked to pension, health & other government services, banking, etc.  I’m posting on his behalf, as I’m dealing with email for both of us (he’s not very computer-literate and my phone’s currently our only working internet device).

He’s been trying to log in to eir webmail, in order to make sure his account doesn’t become “dormant” and get shut down, but he’s getting this error message (in both Chrome and Opera);

“For security reasons, access to eircom net webmail is not available from your present location. Subscription customers may however access their mail using a POP mail client using their email username and password and pop mail server setting 'mail1.eircom.net'."

I sometimes go to eir webmail directly if troubleshooting etc, and I have no problem logging in.  I’m flummoxed!  Our eircom.net accounts are identical in all but username (and were started on the same date).  Both work fine through the extra hop of a 3rd party viewer.  Same device (with only 1 lot of settings); same browsers.  Same wifi network, precisely the same location, and I don’t think he’s been out of our county for years!

We need to sort this ASAP - any ideas?

I wasn’t aware that we can’t use a POP mail client any more, as I don’t have one in my phone, and we’ve been managing it recently through a 3rd-party webmail viewer (myemail, & previously mail2web).  (We find its interface easier to view and manage, especially on this little screen).  This is another puzzle - could someone explain, please?

Thanks.
    Hi Fogmatic ,

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Please feel free to PM me your full name, account number & email address, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Hi Fogmatic ,

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Please feel free to PM me your full name, account number & email address, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas
    What account number?

Hi Fogmatic ,

Thanks 

Thomas
    What account number?
    Apologies, can you PM me your full name and email address, please?

Thanks

Thomas

Thanks

Thomas

I can't find the link to PM you?
    Tried your name to left of your post, but it took me to a page where I could read "Visitor messages", which looked as if they were, er, meant to be private ones (so I backed out).

Meanwhile, also re the website, could someone just tell/remind me what a green tick on a topic means?  (And if it means Resolved, how to remove it?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks

Thomas

I can't find the link to PM you?
    Tried your name to left of your post, but it took me to a page where I could read "Visitor messages", which looked as if they were, er, meant to be private ones (so I backed out).
    Just click on his username to the left of his post and there should be an option to send a PM to the user.

Thanks Spear.  I had to hit 'view conversation' to link my PM to the thread (a bit of a stab in the dark),  but it worked!

I'm still not sure I should be able to read other people's messages on the way, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP tbh what do you expect Eir to do for you?

You aren't paying them for a service so why should they provide you with an email account indefinitely?

Just read the "Strange error message" as a warning to change over to an email address that is unlikely to stop working in the future.

The "Strange error message" just means Eir have actively blocked you from connecting to their webmail from other ISP's. You may still be able to pop off mail using another email client if not you've got some work to do changing the email addresses you have set up. 
    Meanwhile, also re the website, could someone just tell/remind me what a green tick on a topic means?  (And if it means Resolved, how to remove it?)

The green tick means you are subscribed to the thread because you started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

Eir's email server for 3rd party apps is now webmail.eir.ie and not webmail.eircom.net (which was seemingly working intermittently but now seems to no longer let you login at all).

Thomas; did you get my PM earlier today?

• Advertisement

Thanks my3cents  (that 'resolved' meaning of the tick must be in another forum!).

I understand the financial reasons for not supporting ex-customers, but in eir's case they are allowing them to keep using their eircom.addresses if they log in to their webmail at intervals.  (Which I wouldn't blame anyone for not knowing - I only found out by a happy accident that we needed to do anything).   Even if it's not for ever, it's a big help to some of us.  (Perhaps the eir webmail system can clear out a lot of really dormant accounts automatically that way, and eir gets a goodwill benefit from not booting out the rest of us?)

I'm a bit confused re the reference to other ISPs - is that as in not being able to send through one with e.g. Thunderbird, or is it a new restriction by eir?  We're both on the same system, and I can still manage the eircom mail for both of us via a webmail viewing .website, whether at home or on the move (e.g. in the UK, including a recent visit).  I'm not using an email client in the strict sense of it (I gathered there's no satisfactory Android phone app for that, and wouldn't want to download much email anyway because of storage space).
    I have also been using a Gmail address recently, especially with friends &.family and new commercial/official contacts, but that still leaves a lot of occasional contacts with only the eircom address.

MBSnr; thanks for the info; I can't find any way to change the server from my phone though, and can only find 1 web page for eir webmail; maybe it's something Thomas can help with.

Thomas;  PM sent lunchtime today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ISP , Internet Service Providers - Vodafone, Virgin, Three etc etc.

When you log on to Eir you get an Eir IP address, if you don't have an Eir IP address and don't have an Eir account then you get that msg.

You could try connecting from a friends connection who has an Eir account?

my3cents wrote: »

When you log on to Eir you get an Eir IP address, if you don't have an Eir IP address and don't have an Eir account then you get that msg.

Thanks (so it's not necessarily from using a UK one then). It sounds worth a try (if I understand right), as I've sometimes used wifi in a bar here for email, when our home internet's down etc.
    I think our usual one is on the eir network, and I might have only used it for my own email.
    My message headers and Spouse's do seem to differ in structure.

Also, MB Snr's reminded me of another thing; during some problem with my own email years ago, Eir/Eircom advised me to update from their old blue & orange site to the new version. Seeing which version I was on required logging in to eir/eircom directly, which I can't remember Spouse ever doing. The update didn't always happen automatically, and a Mod had to get me updated.
    (THOMAS?)

my3cents wrote: »

Thanks (so it's not necessarily from using a UK one then).  It sounds worth a try (if I understand right), as I've sometimes used wifi in a bar here for email, when our home internet's down etc.
    I think our usual one is on the eir network, and I might have only used it for my own email.
    My message headers and Spouse's do seem to differ in structure.

Also, MB Snr's reminded me of another thing; during some problem with my own email years ago, Eir/Eircom advised me to update from their old blue & orange site to the new version.  Seeing which version I was on required logging in to eir/eircom directly, which I can't remember Spouse ever doing.  The update didn't always happen automatically, and a Mod had to get me updated.
    (THOMAS?)

Thanks for the message.

The best team that would be able to assist you would be our webmail support team.

You can contact them on - 01 701 0354 or at wmsupport@eir.ie

I would suggest copying the initial query and forwarding it to them.

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas; thanks fir the PM - I've done as you suggested, to the email address you gave me.

I couldn't reply to your PM (got error messages when trying to reply ther; "The following users were not found", "Invalid recipient username").

Meanwhile, I happened to be driving into town this afternoon so tried the bar wifi (which does have eircom.net in its SSID), and was able to log my husband into his eir wemail from there.  (Back home, no joy again).

His webmail does have the blue & orange interface of the old eircom.net webmail, from which I was migrated 6 or 7 years ago, to solve a slightly different problem (this is the topic in case it helps anyone else https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686818 ).  I don't think the tech team is back until Monday, but I'll tell them meanwhile in case they don't pick up on it and it's the cause.

When they migrated me to the newer version I was told it would take 4 - 8 weeks (though can't remember how long it did take), so it may take some time to find out if it works!

Note to Eir; Can't you just have a website that works properly, like even the smallest business can these days?  Instead of one the Mods have to spend half their time helping people to navigate?

Thomas (or other Mod);

My husband copied his query to wmsupport@eir.ie as suggested, on Thursday night, and got a reply early on Monday morning, which is very prompt considering it seemed to have been passed on to another department.  It confirmed that his problem was due to still being on the “Classic” webmail account, and said he’d need to read some terms & conditions before being upgraded, and that they could send him these t&c’s if he’s interested.  He sent 2 replies the same day, saying basically saying ‘yes please’, and has had no response so far.  This is at odds with the initial prompt reply, so maybe the communications have hit a glitch somewhere?

The reply he received was from businesscare@emobile.ie - is that normal?  (We wondered, as he’s not a current business, mobile or any other eir customer).  Can someone here help him to get the t&cs?  The quickest way to ask here is to quote his 3rd reply below  which he sent earlier today;

“Just to let you know that I've replied twice before to your below email.  I haven't received any reply from you, so if you sent me those terms & conditions, something has prevented your email from reaching me.  If that's the case, is there some other way to get the t&c's to me?  I gather from searches that they need to be emailed so I can reply with my agreement.  Can it be done via my wife's email?  Or via PMs in the Talk to Eir forum?  (If that's an option, I could always register at Boards.ie myself).”

Still no clue whether my husband’s replies to the email from Eir got to anyone or went into a black hole - can someone at Eir please just ask the people at businesscare@emobile.ie?

And can someone confirm whether logging into his webmail account (from the wifi hotspot with an Eircom connection) has prevented the loss of his eircom.net address?  (There was only enough time in town to view his inbox and then log out, without performing any actions there).

Thanks.

Just to add that there's no need to explain the t & c's for the webmail upgrade, as he's already found them elsewhere and understood them - it's just getting his agreement to them through to Eir that's the problem.

Unless it did get through without his knowledge (as they wouldn't answer his emails after his initial query)?   And his emails to date are going to disappear from the server at any moment (before he's had a chance to find a way of downloading them)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Just to add that there's no need to explain the t & c's for the webmail upgrade, as he's already found them elsewhere and understood them - it's just getting his agreement to them through to Eir that's the problem.

Unless it did get through without his knowledge (as they wouldn't answer his emails after his initial query)?   And his emails to date are going to disappear from the server at any moment (before he's had a chance to find a way of downloading them)?
    Hi Fogmatic, 

Thomas is not in today I'm afraid. 

If you send an email including all your details to support.business@eircom.net acknowledging that you accept the terms and conditions, the account can then be migrated.

If you have any further queries or questions our support team on 1890 260 260 will be able to assist you with this.  

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks Tracey.  (I thought it had to be done by replying to an email from eir with the t&cs in - I assumed it was why businesscare@mobile.ie offered to send them).

Will he have any indication that his email has reached support.business.eircom.net?  He never heard if his replies reached businesscare@emobile.ie, but maybe support.business.eircom.net is different in that respect?

And a final question (I hope!); does he need to back up the emails he wants to keep before he sends the acceptance email, in case the migration starts immediately they receive it?

Thanks Tracey.  (I thought it had to be done by replying to an email from eir with the t&cs in - I assumed it was why businesscare@mobile.ie offered to send them).

Will he have any indication that his email has reached support.business.eircom.net?  He never heard if his replies reached businesscare@emobile.ie, but maybe support.business.eircom.net is different in that respect?

And a final question (I hope!); does he need to back up the emails he wants to keep before he sends the acceptance email, in case the migration starts immediately they receive it?
    Hi  Fogmatic ,

Apologies for the delay in responding, I have been absent the last couple of days.

Tracey is correct with the information she has provided you with.

I would recommend backing up all emails he wishes to keep.

Thanks

Thomas

Thanks Thomas.

So, from what I’ve managed to find out, looks like the procedure is to send the t&cs acceptance email, hope it got to someone if there’s no reply, leave it about 5 days, then start checking every so often whether my husband’s able to log in to eir webmail from here yet?  And just hope that having logged into it that time from town will have prevented his losing his eircom address in the meantime?  Guess we’ll just have to live with the uncertainty!

But re preparing to send the email, can someone tell me whether setting up a new POP client for eircom mail requires logging in to the eir webmail account?  (Then we can plan getting into town if necessary).

Thanks.

Edit; on further searching, it looks like we should be able to set Gmail/another mail client to fetch eircom/eir emails, without having to log into the eir webmail account. That is, if external mail collection is enabled there (which it is by default, and I guess both ours must be enabled as we can manage the emails via myemail etc?).

We’ll need the incoming (POP3) server - is it webmail.eircom.net, or is it a diifferent server for the ‘Classic’ webmail? (I looked in the headers of email sent from the account but it doesn’t seem to appear there). The incoming IMAP server could also be handy (if the old eircom.net addresses support it?)

Sorry, went off topic re POP servers, started new one instead.  (Couldn't delete that bit, must be too late for editing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Sorry, went off topic re POP servers, started new one instead.  (Couldn't delete that bit, must be too late for editing).
    Hi Fogmatic, 

I'm afraid I am not aware of this from here, however, our support team on 1890 260 260 will be able to assist you on this and all further queries or questions you have on this. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Just to say that as far as I know, this topic is resolved (we haven't done the webmail upgrade yet, but hope to start it later today and hopefully it'll go smoothly).

Thanks, Thomas and Tracey.

Advertisement