Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do with €100k ?

Options
  • 21-02-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    If you had €100k what kind of a business would you set up and what would you do with this money when setting it up ?

To be honest I’ve worked hard all my life so far and I have around this much in savings (I’m 37) and a low enough mortgage so wouldn’t really need to pay that off so quick either.

I’m self employed at the minute but a bit sick of my industry, so I’m wondering what would YOU do if you were in my position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Goosemen wrote: »
    Hi,
    If you had €100k what kind of a business would you set up and what would you do with this money when setting it up ?

To be honest I’ve worked hard all my life so far and I have around this much in savings (I’m 37) and a low enough mortgage so wouldn’t really need to pay that off so quick either.

I’m self employed at the minute but a bit sick of my industry, so I’m wondering what would YOU do if you were in my position.

To be honest, if I was 37 (again) with that much in the bank and a low mortgage, I’d keep doing what I’m doing.

I wouldn’t sink all my own money into anything. Not a sum like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Realistically how much risk are you willing to take with it? Do you really want to start a new business and risk it all? Unless I had a solid idea I believed in I would probably put some in property and invest a little bit in something I'm interested in I wouldn't want to be risking it all on one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Goosemen

Honestly,
    I really want to do something worthwhile and interesting right now, before I get any older and hit my 50’s and 60’s then it’s too late, what I do now I work pysically hard for and I would not like to keep this up going forward.

I’d be willing to take a chance on a decent business venture hence why I’m being curious as to what people think is a worthwhile business and investment.

Tks for your reply’s

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Goosemen

OU812 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t sink all my own money into anything. Not a sum like that anyway.

What would you do with it ?
    How much would you invest and would you seek grants/funding for the rest depending on what it was, what kind of business would be viable.

Coffee shops are on every corner so that market is Flooded in my opinion.

What else would you do ?

This is just an ideas and curiosity post so I won’t take anything as gospel but interested to see what people would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

How much would you invest and would you seek grants/funding for the rest depending on what it was, what kind of business would be viable.

What else would you do ?

This is just an ideas and curiosity post so I won’t take anything as gospel but interested to see what people would do.

Sent you a pm.

• Advertisement

What else would you do ?

I think its a bad idea to try and force a new business because of the desire to start a business and change a career. Better to see an opportunity and pursue that instead of doing it for the sake of doing it.
    If you don't get inspiration from somewhere, then you might be best looking for an investment you can make into a startup that you have some expertise in the industry they are in so you can actively work on the project as well as invest.
    There are various investment networks and angel sites, certain crowdfunding platforms that you can see a whole load of business ideas, and existing businesses looking for finance. 100K should get you plenty of skin in the game in a variety of interesting startups.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Vladio

The best way for you, (who don't have experience in business) is to buy trust and proven franchise. McDonald you can't buy as need a few million. But something like Costa Cofee you can try.

Make analyze of all franchises on market, and choose the best one.

Best of luck.

Advertisement