Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking a GBP cheque into BOI current account

Options
  • 21-02-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I have received a tax rebate from HMRC in the UK, they have paid me by cheque (although I asked for an electronic transfer on the form, but that’s another issue). So I have received the cheque and I would like to cash it into my BOI a/c as I’m not going to visit the UK any time soon.

My question is, do they accept this? If so what are the fees and the clearing time.

A quick google has told me 6 weeks but then a friend who was at AIB said for them it would be cleared as quick as a EUR cheque as it’s seen as “good” as from HMRC and the fact it’s in GBP also helps. I wonder if BOI follow the same process as AIB?

If anyone has any comments I’d be grateful!

Sophie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Sminogue wrote: »
    Hi,

I have received a tax rebate from HMRC in the UK, they have paid me by cheque (although I asked for an electronic transfer on the form, but that’s another issue). So I have received the cheque and I would like to cash it into my BOI a/c as I’m not going to visit the UK any time soon.

My question is, do they accept this? If so what are the fees and the clearing time.

A quick google has told me 6 weeks but then a friend who was at AIB said for them it would be cleared as quick as a EUR cheque as it’s seen as “good” as from HMRC and the fact it’s in GBP also helps. I wonder if BOI follow the same process as AIB?

If anyone has any comments I’d be grateful!

Sophie

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

The maximum time frame for a UK cheque to clear in a Euro account would be six weeks. But it may clear at any point up to the six week time frame. The time frame for the cheque being cleared would depend on when we get confirmation back from the bank that issued the cheque for this reason we wouldn't be able to confirm how long it will take for a cheque from this source to fully clear.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement