Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary schools in europe

Options
  • 21-02-2018 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi I'm a 5th year here in Ireland and I want to do veterinary medicine after school. I'm aware that it's extremely hard to get into UCD and my career guidance counseller was telling me to take a look at colleges in England and in Europe for example Budapest as there is such a high demand. I would rather go to England as its near but is it easier to get into the colleges there or am I better going abroad in Europe? If so what would be the best colleges to attend?
    Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Did you look at Scotland? Used to be cheaper to study in Scotland as no fees but not sure if it still applies.
    Consider employability after your degree. Will employers look at your degree in same light as uk/Irish? Speak to some local vets about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 99cs

99cs wrote: »
    hi I'm a 5th year here in Ireland and I want to do veterinary medicine after school. I'm aware that it's extremely hard to get into UCD and my career guidance counseller was telling me to take a look at colleges in England and in Europe for example Budapest as there is such a high demand. I would rather go to England as its near but is it easier to get into the colleges there or am I better going abroad in Europe? If so what would be the best colleges to attend?
    Tia
    Yes I have been considering Glasgow and Edinburgh. The point system is still really hard but I will apply for them also thank u :))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Friend's daughter is in Budapest and loves it. There was a lot of paperwork but there are a few Irish on her course and the cost of living is so cheap compared to here or the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

have a look at unicas site for info on Budapest / Warswaw college. They're coming to Dublin soon too, definitely worth looking at. Those colleges go on entrance tests rather than LC points

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There's as much competition to get into the UK vet schools as UCD; the only difference is that you might be able to talk your way into a place ahead of someone with equally good academic qualifications on account of your experience (years of working Saturdays in your local clinic, family farm, cat rescue centre, etc, etc.)

On the other hand, as things stand with Brexit at the moment, bear in mind that a UK qualification is not guaranteed to be automatically recognised post-Brexit for work in the EU. Be careful too with the new vet schools in England - the degree offered by the University of Surrey is not yet recognised by the RCVS. It might be by the time the first graduates qualify, but who knows.

Budapest has a good reputation among students, but I've yet to meet any vet in practice who's trained there, so can't say how they compare in a real working environment to graduates of other countries. What I can say, though, is that UCD's vets stand out as probably some of the best in Europe, so if there's any chance you can get the points (two years of very hard work at LC) then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There is one in Kosice Slovakia. I was talking to a guy a few years ago whose wife was over there doing her degree.
    It's an English based course and accommodation can be got on campus and kept for the duration of the course including holidays ( for a nominal fee)
    Seems to have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SmoosBoo

Received this from my daughter’s Career Guidance Counsellor this morning

Medical Poland. They are running an event this Saturday aimed at 6th years but it may be of interest to any students who would consider studying Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy, Nursing or Veterinary through English in Poland.

https://www.facebook.com/events/182824519150553/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

The European colleges such as Budapest, Warsaw and Slovakia are definitely easier to get in to than UK or Ireland and quite popular for Irish students. You lose nothing by applying to UCD, UCAS and the European ones, however, and see what you get. Also bear in mind that many veterinary students in UCD repeat their leaving cert so that is an option if you are close when it comes to points.
    There are currently only a few schools in Europe recognised by the American Veterinary Medicine Association. UCD is one of them. None of the popular European ones for Irish students (Budapest, Warsaw, Slovakia) are accredited (yet). This means that if you ever want to practice in North America you would have to take more exams and pay a good bit more money. Thus, it's worth trying that bit extra for UCD or the UK ones if you think you'll ever want to go to the US or Canada.

Advertisement