Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if child gets sick in UK?

Options
  • 21-02-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

We spend a lot of time in the UK and thankfully have never had to see a doctor, but I’m just wondering what the story would be if my wee boy (12 months) got ill. Can he see a GP even though he isn’t registered with one, or would it have to be a hospital trip - even if it was something fairly minor like a stomach bug?

In the absence of an EHIC card (I must get him one.... if there’s even any point with Brexit!), do we pay and if so, is it lots and lots?

Must be a common enough issue with Irish families split over each side of the border.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

My son got sick in England

Hotel sent us to an NHS walk-in center

Seen in less than an hour. No charge, free medicine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Same here..

One of ours got sick while travelling in the UK..

Looked up the nearest GP and she was seen that day at no charge.

Treated better in another country then we would have been at home.

It was a very impressive system and shows what can be done when you have competent people making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emergency care on the NHS should be free. FIL had a fall at a rugby match and injured his nose quite badly, no charge for the ambulance or A&E treatment.

If you're in the situation, call 111 and they should be able to direct you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

Had 2 incidents in uk which required doctor or hospital for a child. Great service & completely free. Was almost embarrassed not to be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Had 2 incidents in uk which required doctor or hospital for a child. Great service & completely free. Was almost embarrassed not to be paying.
    dont worry, the NHS bills the HSE for any expenses of irish residents getting treatment in the UK, so you arent costing the UK taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

dont worry, the NHS bills the HSE for any expenses of irish residents getting treatment in the UK, so you arent costing the UK taxpayer.

So our taxes cover us when we're sick but only if we get sick abroad.

At home it's cough up or they send the debt collectors after you.

Great little country this.

Advertisement