Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scammed

Options
  • 21-02-2018 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

i sent money to someone via paypal from donedeal tp purchase a ticket, but they tricked me into using friends and family so i cant report them, what can i do to get my money back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Thatguy11 wrote: »
    i sent money to someone via paypal from donedeal tp purchase a ticket, but they tricked me into using friends and family so i cant report them, what can i do to get my money back.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here on Boards.

I'd ask you first of all to get in contact with PayPal directly and they refuse a refund I'd then ask you to fill in a Visa Debit Dispute form and send it back to us and we can then request a chargeback for this transaction.
    I've given a link here that you can use to print out this form (it's the last form given within the link) and the return address is also given in the form.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thatguy11

Hi

Thank you for replying.

The scammer tricked me into sending him money using Friends/Family option full well knowing that PayPal cant refund a person if the chose that option, so there is nothing i can do with PayPal.

what proof should i enclose with the visa dispute form and what address should i send it to, or can i bring it to my local branch?

thank you.

Hi

Thank you for replying.

The scammer tricked me into sending him money using Friends/Family option full well knowing that PayPal cant refund a person if the chose that option, so there is nothing i can do with PayPal.

what proof should i enclose with the visa dispute form and what address should i send it to, or can i bring it to  my local branch?

thank you.

Thanks for getting back to me. In relation to proofs I'd ask you to print out any emails or screenshots that you have from either the retailer or PayPal that are refusing a refund on for the transaction and also if you have any confirming the original transaction.
    You can pop the form in to your local branch of Bank of Ireland of there is also a return PO Box address given on the bottom right hand side of the form that you can send it to in the post.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Hi

Thank you for replying.

what proof should i enclose with the visa dispute form and what address should i send it to, or can i bring it to  my local branch?

thank you.

Thanks for getting back to me. In relation to proofs I'd ask you to print out any emails or screenshots that you have from either the retailer or PayPal that are refusing a refund on for the transaction and also if you have any confirming the original transaction.
    You can pop the form in to your local branch of Bank of Ireland of there is also a return PO Box address given on the bottom right hand side of the form that you can send it to in the post.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Hi
    The retailer wont mention that he wont give me a refund, he is just toying around with me and says that he sent me the item and that i should check my spam mail and trash to see if i recieved it. I reported him to DoneDeal and they sent me an email saying i should go to the garda about, can i use the email from DoneDeal and some screenshots of the conversation to send with the form.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Sorry to butt in, but you got scammed by a seller on paypal and got sucked in by their patter. Absolutley nothing whatsoever that Bank of Ireland or any other bank can do.

You can report them to paypal, but paying via "friends and family" to someone that is neitehr a friend nor a family member is plain stupid and there is no-one to blame or to take the loss except yourself. 

Next time, be wise to scams out there.

• Advertisement

Hi CeilingFly

Yes i know it was my fault for being stupid enough to fall for his tricks and i will be more careful next time, I learnt my lesson.
    But am still going to try to get my money back, you never know if you don't try. 
    Thanks

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If you contact PayPal and explain it has been paid as friends and family in error and it’s actually for goods and services they will change it for you 100%

Then if you don’t get the tickets you are covered

Hope this helps resolve the issue
    Hey
    thanks i just got a message from paypal saying that they will get me my money back and that they are going to work with bank of ireland to help.

Thanks OmegaGene 
    Yeah paypal said that now am protected under payPal goods and services and that they will get my money back. Am just happy that i can learn from this and be careful in the future.

Hi

Thank you for replying.

thank you.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Hi
    The retailer wont mention that he wont give me a refund, he is just toying around with me and says that he sent me the item and that i should check my spam mail and trash to see if i recieved it. I reported him to DoneDeal and they sent me an email saying i should go to the garda about, can i use the email from DoneDeal and some screenshots of the conversation to send with the form.

Thanks

Hi there,

If you're still going forward with the Chargeback form that we discussed before, I just ask you to include all correspondence that you have from any of the parties involved in the payment as it will all be taken into our chargebacks department. 

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.
    Darren.  

Hi again
    I contacted the bank and PayPal and everything seemed to go fine until I got a letter from bank of Ireland asking me to send an invoice of exactly what service was to be provided. What should I send to them as the scammer took down the AD from donedeal ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

Hi again
    I contacted the bank and PayPal and everything seemed to go fine until I got a letter from bank of Ireland asking me to send an invoice of exactly what service was to be provided. What should I send to them as the scammer took down the AD from donedeal ?
    Thanks
    Hi Thatguy11,

Thanks for coming back to us.

We'd advise that you send all correspondence that you have received from this person and all correspondence you have sent to them to the chargeback unit.

We'd also suggest that you write a detailed cover letter of exactly what happened.

Please let us know if we can help further with this.

Thanks again,
    Jane

Advertisement