Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Term Deposits.

• 21-02-2018 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Just have a question about fixed term deposits that someone might be able to answer. If I open a fixed term account (I'm thinking of a two year term ) and I die before the two years are up what happens to the account? Would it be closed and no interest paid or would the account have to be left alone with the money in it for the full term.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

It is not wise to lock your money away if you are old or may need access to the money during the period of the term deposit.

If one deceases during the term of the deposit, then the estate needs to deal with the bank, the bank probably will, but not certainly, allow early access. It would be on a bank by bank policy basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

mickmac76 wrote: »
    Just have a question about fixed term deposits that someone might be able to answer. If I open a fixed term account (I'm thinking of a two year term ) and I die before the two years are up what happens to the account? Would it be closed and no interest paid or would the account have to be left alone with the money in it for the full term.

Assuming its a sole account, It would go into your estate and only be broken once your solicitor requested the funds. Its different between banks as to whether theres a penalty against the interest or not but some won't penalise in that circumstance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

368100 wrote: »
    Assuming its a sole account, It would go into your estate and only be broken once your solicitor requested the funds. Its different between banks as to whether theres a penalty against the interest or not but some won't penalise in that circumstance.
    Thanks yes it will be a sole account and if I'm dead why worry about the lost interest. I just wouldn't want the distribution of my estate delayed for months on end waiting for the account to mature.

Advertisement