Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ph.D. Lifetime Earnings

Options
  • 21-02-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

https://www.wes.org/advisor-blog/salary-difference-masters-phd/

So this data shows the lifetime earning of Ph.D. graduates to be significantly higher than those with masters etc.

Do you think this data would apply to Europe? I'm really not sure.

BTW I'm speaking about a Ph.D. in STEM disciplines.

Comments

From anecdotal information and friends of friends the income of any academics I have heard of are on surprisingly little. Exception would be full time senior lecturers in universities who would be 80-100k from what I hear. In STEM I expect industry might be better paid but again that’s not from any first hand knowledge.

Sorry I read this wrong I realise now you mean working in any job having a PhD rather than working in an academic field. I would expect higher salary yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Hmmm. This is definitely not the case where I work. IT field. PhDs start on a slightly higher salary like "2k" per annum but it is highly variable. Over time depending on performance and experience things even out usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Sorry I read this wrong I realise now you mean working in any job having a PhD rather than working in an academic field. I would expect higher salary yes!
    No I should have clarified sorry. So you would expect higher salary? Why? Do you know anyone who does?

I mean, if you look at LinkedIn the people who are "Lead Analytics" etc. almost always have a Ph.D. (from the small amount I've checked). It just got me thinking because I'm trying to decide between a Ph.D. in analytics or going into a software developer job now at entry level.

Ultimately I'd enjoy either, but I'm trying to objectively decide which would lead to the better career.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Hmmm. This is definitely not the case where I work. IT field. PhDs start on a slightly higher salary like "2k" per annum but it is highly variable. Over time depending on performance and experience things even out usually.

Thanks for the reply! Where do you work? What type of career are we talking about here?

Do senior people tend to have a Ph.D. ?

Advertisement