Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Coalition boycotts FCP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That protest was a waste of shoe leather.

I can't see the Minister rescinding the dealer S.I.

I'd love to be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That protest was a waste of shoe leather.

I'd love to be wrong.

But he might have gotten the message that the sc represents no one apart from the couple of chancers in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Why dont we just put together an open letter to Min Stanton stating that as Irish shooters and gun owners,the SC does in no way reflect or represent us anymore at the level of the FCP,and that we wish them removed from said group?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

To withdraw it would be to admit he was wrong and no minister has that in him or her.

gunny123 wrote: »
    But he might have gotten the message that the sc represents no one apart from the couple of chancers in it.

Too late for the dealers affected by that SI though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Why dont we just put together an open letter to Min Stanton stating that as Irish shooters and gun owners,the SC does in no way reflect or represent us anymore at the level of the FCP,and that we wish them removed from said group?

Solarwinds:: To withdraw it would be to admit he was wrong and no minister has that in him or her.

I sent such a letter a few months ago, and received an acknowledgement, as did some others here.

I'm sure the Minister could "Review" his decision instead of "Withdrawing" it!

What would be better? A reviewed decision or removal of future threats to the sport? We lost this battle, but we could still win a war by removing the SCOVI.
    Which I think should be the ultimate goal here...

And TBH after watching that video clip again,I get the impression the gun dealers were more upset about licensing procedures with AGS/DOJ rather than being cut out from the discussion on security arrangements.

We should stop looking behind us,we are not going that way.[To misquote Ragna Lothbrok of Vikings fame]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Solarwinds:: .

I sent such a letter a few months ago, and received an acknowledgement, as did some others here.
    It needs to be a group effort for it to have any weight,with signatures and proper addresses,rather than an online petition.As an open letter does carry more weight still and gives the SCOVI a chance to respond too to the accusations.

I've written to the Minister a good while ago and told him that the SC don't represent my views nor do they represent the views of the majority of shooters here in Ireland.

One man one letter BC...Could be anyone, unfortunately.A dozen or forty or more people signing an open letter is a whole different bucket of cod.

• Advertisement

One man one letter BC...Could be anyone, unfortunately.A dozen or forty or more people signing an open letter is a whole different bucket of cod.

I've no problem signing such a letter.

I've no problem signing such a letter.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wexshot1

+1

+1

Rather then people in the other shooting orgs with a bit of power just ignoring the scovi, why are they not banding together and telling the minister and his people, bluntly, that the scovi are chancers, and are about as popular with the shooting public as a dead rat in a swimming pool ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

yubabill1 wrote: »
    My usual sarcasm, there, Cass - always useful to get a conversation going.
    Got it. Was not correcting you merely continuing the debate.
    My own opinion is the authorities have a very low opinion of Irish shooters, possibly owing to media coverage of mass shootings by nutjobs.
    Nothing so grand. They simply don't want civilians with firearms.

I've said this before and some say its not relevant to this forum our sport, but it got its start the same way and in America. This country was founded at the end of a barrel. Firearms were used for feeding your family and while we are not fighting an independence war or having to shoot to stay alive, its a tradition that is far, FAR older than the state and because they are old does not mean they can be ignored or should be walled away because the soy-boy, fluid gender, open border, hypocritical so and so's don't see a "need" for them. :mad:
    I wouldn't say a waste, but you're right on this. It'll never happen.
    Its a start, a good one, and it needs to built on now by us, the rest of the shooting community. Show solidarity to the RFDs by supporting the 99% that were NOT consulted.
    Why dont we just put together an open letter to Min Stanton .........
    It needs to be a group effort for it to have any weight,...........
    One man one letter BC....
    Absolutely to all the above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Nothing so grand. They simply don't want civilians with firearms.

I've said this before and some say its not relevant to this forum our sport, but it got its start the same way and in America. This country was founded at the end of a barrel. Firearms were used for feeding your family and while we are not fighting an independence war or having to shoot to stay alive, its a tradition that is far, FAR older than the state and because they are old does not mean they can be ignored or should be walled away because the soy-boy, fluid gender, open border, hypocritical so and so's don't see a "need" for them. :mad:

Sadly Cass the soy-boys are running the country now, look at who the president and the taoiseach are, two of the biggest virtue signallers in Europe. WE'RE DOOMED, DOOMED I TELL YA.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Unfortunately, the sandal-wearing types are hell-bent on erasing things like culture and tradition (unless they are foreign, which are regarded as sacrosanct) so the tradition in shooting counts for nought in powerful circles.

The biggest disadvantage we have is that we are lumped-in with drug dealers and gun crime in the popular psyche, but for some reason the non-shooting citizen does not perceive their uncle in the gun club as a mass-shooting nutter looking for any excuse to wreak havoc in a primary school.

Fear of the unknown, I suppose. I get the impression that this disjointed thinking extends right to the top.

The world has become a small place and mass shootings in the US and elsewhere where crazy people can get access to guns degrade the public perception of shooters in Ireland, where firearms, shooters and shooting are treated very differently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Irish Times picking up on the story. Not saying i agree with everything in the article, but i'm not "on the front" so i don't know the true effect.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

To the best of my knowledge the minister was informed a long time ago that SCOVI represented no one but themselves.

Claims otherwise are disingenuous..

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

yubabill wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the sandal-wearing types are hell-bent on erasing things like culture and tradition (unless they are foreign, which are regarded as sacrosanct) so the tradition in shooting counts for nought in powerful circles.

The biggest disadvantage we have is that we are lumped-in with drug dealers and gun crime in the popular psyche, but for some reason the non-shooting citizen does not perceive their uncle in the gun club as a mass-shooting nutter looking for any excuse to wreak havoc in a primary school.

Fear of the unknown, I suppose. I get the impression that this disjointed thinking extends right to the top.

The world has become a small place and mass shootings in the US and elsewhere where crazy people can get access to guns degrade the public perception of shooters in Ireland, where firearms, shooters and shooting are treated very differently.

The Tofu eating tree hugging bunny lovers are only a part of the problem. They are handy for the outrage over us having a different view of what is a sport-shooting, what is beautiful- a firearm that shoots straight like it's an extension of your body, and what is fresh food-game.

The real issue is the powers that be who want less firearms in license holders possession and SCOVI who want to commercialize the few that remain.

We have to do all that we can to protect our sport.

• Advertisement

I'm more worried about the unelected suits&ties sitting on their asses in Brussels, led by a chronic alcoholic former petty bureaucrat who is now ia virtual dictator of Europe and is unremovable from his position than any bunch of Soy boys, and women or Menwo's who have knitted their undergarments out of their partners beard hair.:p

Our lot are now nothing more than a glorified county council running the country, where all big decisions are now made for them in Brussels, and that suits them just fine! Brussels is where all the grown-up decisions are made,and their excuse is "Shure its EU law.Nuthin we can do about it lads!"AKA buck pass it back to Brussels. Luckily there is now an organisation that is a registered lobby group, and is more or less well funded and has a track record of ass-kicking in Brussels that is pro grun.:) So at least our very early warning radar will work to alert us of anything over the horizion.Now ,we need our close support to actually work,IE our national bodies and without chancers trying to hijack the show.

Irish Times picking up on the story. Not saying i agree with everything in the article, but i'm not "on the front" so i don't know the true effect.

I think the GD of Ireland are waking up to the fact that the price of liberty [or keeping your business profitable] is eternal vigilance,and not let "others" deal with things on your uninterested behalf?

"smuggling" tho?? Do anything possible to give it a "shady image" why don't ya ?:rolleyes: A statement like that from the gun dealers was badly thought out and worded.
    It's called the" free movement of trade and goods within the EU, preventing monopolies in member states". if the legislation allows me to purchase an item in another EU country and I comply with both countries possession and use laws,why do I need a middleman to conduct and profit from the deal?

The only thing in favour of having a GD in the equation anymore is that you can go and see the gun in reality and get a feel for it.Its very hard to buy things like guns or suits off a spec sheet. So that is where we do still need them.

I think the GD of Ireland are waking up to the fact that the price of liberty [or keeping your business profitable] is eternal vigilance,and not let "others" deal with things on your uninterested behalf?

"smuggling" tho?? Do anything possible to give it a "shady image" why don't ya ?:rolleyes: A statement like that from the gun dealers was badly thought out and worded.
    It's called the" free movement of trade and goods within the EU, preventing monopolies in member states". if the legislation allows me to purchase an item in another EU country and I comply with both countries possession and use laws,why do I need a middleman to conduct and profit from the deal?

The only thing in favour of having a GD in the equation anymore is that you can go and see the gun in reality and get a feel for it.Its very hard to buy things like guns or suits off a spec sheet. So that is where we do still need them.

Yes i thought that was a stupid own goal too, calling it smuggling. I bought firearms in the north several times, usually pistols because there was no one stocking pistols down here, which is an issue they should be looking to amend.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Hi Lads,
    I've been trying to keep up with this and it seems this has gotten out of control with all sorts of bodies claiming to bespeaking for/doing things in the name of country pursuits etc. Does anyone remember the group that stood up to the greens a few years ago (I can't think of their name FACE or something) should this or something like this is resurrected to put a stop to all this crap. As I see the OPW are destroying rivers in the name of fish runs and the IFI is sitting by doing nothing. Then you have the NPWS trying to make up their own rules (with an input form some of the sprotmans groups) and you have people talking all sorts of crap about hunters in general. 
    Maybe a group which is answerable to its members can unite the whole countryside pursuits community and actually go on radio shows TV debates etc and fight in our corner for once as I'm sure there are a lot of people who not only hunt/shoot but Fish as well and Maybe just Maybe this will show the government how many people actually enjoy and participate in shooting/hunting and fishing and they may take some heed for once.
    Excuse the rant but the whole thing P@$$'s me off
    cheers

I'm more worried about the unelected suits&ties sitting on their asses in Brussels, led by a chronic alcoholic former petty bureaucrat who is now ia virtual dictator of Europe and is unremovable from his position than any bunch of Soy boys, and women or Menwo's who have knitted their undergarments out of their partners beard hair.:p

Our lot are now nothing more than a glorified county council running the country, where all big decisions are now made for them in Brussels, and that suits them just fine! Brussels is where all the grown-up decisions are made,and their excuse is "Shure its EU law.Nuthin we can do about it lads!"AKA buck pass it back to Brussels. Luckily there is now an organisation that is a registered lobby group, and is more or less well funded and has a track record of ass-kicking in Brussels that is pro grun.:) So at least our very early warning radar will work to alert us of anything over the horizion.Now ,we need our close support to actually work,IE our national bodies and without chancers trying to hijack the show.

Junker you sort of know where you are with, but his appointee (illegally) Martin Selmayr is the sort of individual who is completely ruthless, you do not know what he would get up to.

I just thought of the name "RISE"

dto001 wrote: »
    I just thought of the name "RISE"

Unfortunately a lot of the same crew that went on to form SC

I just found their website and seen some of the supporters and I agree it is probably alot of the same crew but surely something along the lines of this could be done, as it worked before, but this time keep it going and create havoc for the above groups but at the same time be accountable to the members and consult with members before committing to anything if you get my drift.
    :O

I just found their website and seen some of the supporters and I agree it is probably alot of the same crew but surely something along the lines of this could be done, as it worked before, but this time keep it going and create havoc for the above groups but at the same time be accountable to the members and consult with members before committing to anything if you get my drift.
    :O

If the likes of the IFA / NARGC / Countryside Alliance etc !! Came together we might have some hope.
    Trouble is they all have their own problems to deal with and have enough in their plates as it is.
    The other fact is that there is so much corruption in politics that I reckon we’d be flogging a dead horse unless we had lots of money to dangle in front of the donkeys.

• Advertisement

Hi Lads,
    . Does anyone remember the group that stood up to the greens a few years ago (I can't think of their name FACE or something) should this or something like this is resurrected to put a stop to all this crap.

Federation of European Hunters[or whatever its French moniker is].Is primarily concerned with hunting in the EU,and TBH has got rather slow and soft on alot of issues.It was fast asleep in bed until about 12 weeks after the Paris terror attacks,when the EU was pushing for a semi-auto rifle ban, and only woke up to the fact that it did concern them,as many of their members use semi-auto rifles for hunting on the continent.:rolleyes: They have been plagued with "old gaurd" problems too, which has gained the anti-hunting side some wins on things like importing trophies and strengthening the CITEs rules because of it. tHe NARGC is affiliated to them,but I wouldnt rely on FACe being much interested in irish affairs of the problems we have here.

Maybe a group which is answerable to its members can unite the whole countryside pursuits community and actually go on radio shows TV debates etc and fight in our corner for once as I'm sure there are a lot of people who not only hunt/shoot but Fish as well and Maybe just Maybe this will show the government how many people actually enjoy and participate in shooting/hunting and fishing and they may take some heed for once.
    Excuse the rant but the whole thing P@$$'s me off
    cheer

That's what the SC SHOULD have been until all and sundry decided they,and they alone, were the most High Poobah in the organisation and only their decrees carried the word of law..

You know yourself, the first thing on any Irish organisations agenda, is the split. If you can create that sort of an organisation in Ireland that stays unified, you will have a force to be reckoned with.

Advertisement