Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2018 - Advise and Help thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Who2 wrote: »
    It’ll be far from tight next year if you have the bull out now. By the time you have the last calves, bulled you’ll be fairly spread. You’ve hope for the next year if you hold the bull back.

Ya we would have always have been trying to calve them earlier every year but this year we started on a certain date and a lot of thecows were cycling so they came fairly rapid. Should mean a tighter calving season next year

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

antrimite wrote: »
    2 more APZ bull calves on the ground from first Calvers. First one calves at 288 days on her own inside an hour, calf came out as easy as I ever seen. She’s our best heifer so would have liked a heifer but he’s thriving well. The next calf came with aid of the calving jack. Feet came but no progress iber an hour so we gave her help. Big lump of a bull calf. 290days! One last heifer to go. A month ago we questioned whether she was still in Calf and now at 294 days!!

On a worse note our stock bull (the afore mentioned heifers sire), has went down with TB. Disaster

Awful to say but your lucky you got bulls. Apz progeny are a disaster to calve, I’d say the worst pelvises out there. I wouldn’t let him around the place and there’s plenty that have had the same issue.

Really? Our AI man had a batch of APZ heifers calved to Limousin and had no problems at all.

Replacing the stock bull will now be priority as we have a batch of heifers ready to go with him next month... any Simmental recommendations? Replacement stars definitely our Priorty as we don’t finish stores

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Who2

antrimite wrote: »
    Really? Our AI man had a batch of APZ heifers calved to Limousin and had no problems at all.

Replacing the stock bull will now be priority as we have a batch of heifers ready to go with him next month... any Simmental recommendations? Replacement stars definitely our Priorty as we don’t finish stores

I’ve had a couple sectioned all and what was left was sold as commercial. A friend had a lot and pure hassle too. Isl or fifty cent seems to be working well. I’ve an isl heifer here that I didn’t like that has turned inside out.

I’ve had a couple sectioned all and what was left was sold as commercial. A friend had a lot and pure hassle too. Isl or fifty cent seems to be working well. I’ve an isl heifer here that I didn’t like that has turned inside out.

Am planning on using isl on one or 2 cows this year. On figures alone, hes the best simmental in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Who2

Am planning on using isl on one or 2 cows this year. On figures alone, hes the best simmental in my opinion.

Savage growth in my one when she hit twelve months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have a look at his Linear Figures. Muscle scores are in the bottom 2% of the breed. I've never used him so no experience here.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Have a look at his Linear Figures. Muscle scores are in the bottom 2% of the breed. I've never used him so no experience here.

That has nothing to with his progeny though. Hes above the simmental aveage for carcase confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Had my last heifer calf yesterday. So she was calving for about two or three hours legs out for about a hour so I said I would step in. Bag was not after bursting so I decided to pull she was well open and all OK. So I cut bag and put on ropes and just gave her a pull by hand to see how tight she was going to be. So was lubbing her up and next thing I saw her Tring to breath and bag was still over her and she sucking in bag so I panicked and had thejack beside all ready to go. She came out with a good pull but got caught at hips for 30 seconds or so but got her out. It was a panic from the minute I saw her suckling in the bag. She was OK and cow got up 10 minuets later. What I want to know is would she live for long if I had not pulled really quick. Never seen a calf doing that before so all what I know went out the window and panic insued. Both are ok. But I had to lie down for a while was fxxked

valtra2 wrote: »
    Had my last heifer calf yesterday. So she was calving for about two or three hours legs out for about a hour so I said I would step in. Bag was not after bursting so I decided to pull she was well open and all OK. So I cut bag and put on ropes and just gave her a pull by hand to see how tight she was going to be. So was lubbing her up and next thing I saw her Tring to breath and bag was still over her and she sucking in bag so I panicked and had thejack beside all ready to go. She came out with a good pull but got caught at hips for 30 seconds or so but got her out. It was a panic from the minute I saw her suckling in the bag. She was OK and cow got up 10 minuets later. What I want to know is would she live for long if I had not pulled really quick. Never seen a calf doing that before so all what I know went out the window and panic insued. Both are ok. But I had to lie down for a while was fxxked

Sounds like most of our calvings :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

My guess would be that the oxygen supply to the calf was for some reason compromised necessitating it to breath sooner than normal. I'd say you had a max of 2, maybe 3, minutes to get her out but that's another guess.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pulled a big heifer calf out of a cow at 3.30 this morning, no need for a jack calf drank biestings and then got up within 5 minutes of being fed. Come out this morn and calf was struggling to breathe turned out the cow and came back to her and calf was dead. Assuming cow lay or stepped on calf during the night, balls as I'm short of heifers. Tis outside the door and pales in comparison to other problems but annoying when the seemingly perfectly healthy ones are lost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Mooooo wrote: »
    Pulled a big heifer calf out of a cow at 3.30 this morning, no need for a jack calf drank biestings and then got up within 5 minutes of being fed. Come out this morn and calf was struggling to breathe turned out the cow and came back to her and calf was dead. Assuming cow lay or stepped on calf during the night, balls as I'm short of heifers. Tis outside the door and pales in comparison to other problems but annoying when the seemingly perfectly healthy ones are lost

That's annoying. Came very close to the same happening when a little heifer calved here during the week. She leapt up after calving and spun round and roared, acting the usual heifer I suppose. But then she sniffed it and leapt in the air and one foot came down on the calfs belly, poor wee calf let out a baa that a sheep would be proud of and the whole fecking shed of cattle started to roar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    I have a pen of calves that are bordered by straw bales which im using away.yesterday i found a heifer had got up on the bale(it was abit broken) and fallen down in side it to the gap between rounds,stone dead.feck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭squinn2912

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Bit of a break here too or at least they’ve slowed. Heifers/second calvers stretching the season but the bull is out with replacements now so next year we should be tightened up... at the expense of AI. Synchronizing didn’t work great for us so if anything I think you’re better with the early calf and get a shot of estrumate into some cows for AI instead of heifers. Am I making any sense?

It’ll be far from tight next year if you have the bull out now. By the time you have the last calves, bulled you’ll be fairly spread. You’ve hope for the next year if you hold the bull back.

I’m more hoping to have the heifers calving earlier each year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

K.G. wrote: »
    I have a pen of calves that are bordered by straw bales which im using away.yesterday i found a heifer had got up on the bale(it was abit broken) and fallen down in side it to the gap between rounds,stone dead.feck sake

Very same happened last year here. I was lucky to see it intime. Calf hadn't much left in it but came grand after a day. Could have been there a day. Only noticed that the cow wasn't sucked and went looking for the calf. Not a peep out of him. Took me a while to find him I thought he was robbed out of the shed as he definitely couldn't have gotten out. Put a right fear in me not to have a half broke up bale in that position again.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

K.G. wrote: »
    Very same happened last year here. I was lucky to see it intime. Calf hadn't much left in it but came grand after a day. Could have been there a day. Only noticed that the cow wasn't sucked and went looking for the calf. Not a peep out of him. Took me a while to find him I thought he was robbed out of the shed as he definitely couldn't have gotten out. Put a right fear in me not to have a half broke up bale in that position again.

My cousins husband was up on the bales getting hay for the horses one morning and slipped head first down between the rounds.Wife and two young children left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Had a cow calf yesterday morning. Some assistance but nothing mental. Calf up within an hour but wont suck. Tubed him and he will put teak into his mouth but licks instead of sucks. Any suggedtions

Had a cow calf yesterday morning. Some assistance but nothing mental. Calf up within an hour but wont suck. Tubed him and he will put teak into his mouth but licks instead of sucks. Any suggedtions

Honey on the false teat to encourage sucking & move him to the real one, stimulate the roof of his mouth with your finger or the easy, lazy way is get a shot from the vets! Most make up one that should bring on sucking.

Make sure he's had a shít though, most calves that are poor to suck here get going one they've had a finger up the butt to get them pushing the meconium out.

Honey on the false teat to encourage sucking & move him to the real one, stimulate the roof of his mouth with your finger or the easy, lazy way is get a shot from the vets! Most make up one that should bring on sucking.

Make sure he's had a shít though, most calves that are poor to suck here get going one they've had a finger up the butt to get them pushing the meconium out.
    Got a shot from the vet. Sucked a bottle with teat after an hour. He wouldnt suck her though. Ch bull calf. Will try later again. Heading in the right direction though

No change with him. Tried him under cow. Put honey on the teat. Will not suck. Tried him with bottle and teat and sucked straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭High bike

No change with him. Tried him under cow. Put honey on the teat. Will not suck. Tried him with bottle and teat and sucked straight away.
    if he's sucking the bottle hell suck the cow when he's hungry enough

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

What do the vets give them

jd06 wrote: »
    What do the vets give them

I think it's Duphafral forte, not 100% sure. Maybe Greysides can say for sure.
    There used to be a great shot called mederantil that worked in exactly 15 minutes, you could almost time the calf to start sucking it's tongue. Seems to be gone off the market now though:mad:

Finally got him sucking the cow this morning. Hunger and a bit of help and hes away. Thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Any advice on how to stay functioning with no sleep? Be glad when the burst is over.

Any advice on how to stay functioning with no sleep? Be glad when the burst is over.

Many calving atm or is it just complications

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Many calving atm or is it just complications

Ah they are coming handy enough but still have to watch them, had 10 in the last 5 days but up all night keeping an eye on them. Had to bring one down out of the winterage at 3am this morning that didn't suck and wait for beatings to thaw then :(. Running on empty today and have another two sick to calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sleep when you can, eat properly plenty water. If I could only take my own advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭squinn2912

It’s a bit like having a journey to do while driving tired. Get a coffee and ensure you’re watching out for small things like backing the tractor in the yard. If you can grab an hour here and there it’ll stand to you. I got a girl calved at 5 yesterday morning then went up to the house and watched football on iplayer. Don’t do that! Get clean and try to get some bit of sleep into you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Have you a friend or neighbour that could keep an eye on things while you catch up on sleep even if its only for one night.

Advertisement