Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2018 - Advise and Help thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

High bike wrote: »
    Happy days nice heifer calf up an all but the bitch of a cow 3rd Calver is kicking the sh1 t out of her when she goes to suck,the beasties is defrosting

Same is happening with my section calf, kicking the poor wee beastie. So looks like she's getting gate & I have a suckie calf. Unless some miracle happens before i feed it in the morning.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Hard to beat the aa, pulled one from a heifer there and the front legs were kicking to go as soon as the head was out. Had cow not progress8ng as well and handled her, she was open and calf presented right so pulled the calf, all the fluid was yellow, wasn't a hard pull dunno why she didn't get on with it. Maybe subclinical milk fever? Solid on her feet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Same is happening with my section calf, kicking the poor wee beastie. So looks like she's getting gate & I have a suckie calf. Unless some miracle happens before i feed it in the morning.:D

Well is the cow on the full list?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Well is the cow on the full list?

He hadn't sucked this morning but am trying him on her later when she's getting her last shots, he's trying in the pen but gets tired on his back legs and she's also a bitch of a kicker, though he was sucking her flank this morning with no kicks so maybe.....I'll let you know how i get on around 3 when he's hungry & she's stuck in the headlock gate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Would it be possible to tie her leg back to a post in the crush so that she cant kick the calf when he tries to suck, without getting your arm broken in the process.

• Advertisement

Succeeded....sort of! Caught the cow backward in the crush, gave her mash & brought the calf over after giving him half a litre so he was looking for the teat. Managed to get him sucking one half of her anyway. Had her tail up her back so she wasn't able to kick him.
    Then was giving her the last penicillin so swung the gate round to hold her against the wall. Needle in, she threw her head up and nailed me with a kick right to the thigh, nearly knocked me for six. It's still fecking dead now!

I kicked her back though so alls even between us.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭High bike

not a bother on her today whatever came over her last night

High bike wrote: »
    not a bother on her today whatever came over her last night

Mine too! Gave him a litre there now & then latched him onto the cow & left him sucking away & mother making little motherly moos at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

Mine too! Gave him a litre there now & then latched him onto the cow & left him sucking away & mother making little motherly moos at him.

It's amazing what a bit of effort over a few days will do, these are the ones you look back and think, you little ****, but that's life, if it was easy everyone would be at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭squinn2912

A loss here last night. Cow not making much progress so I took her in to handle her and the legs had bent, head overtaking them and jamming. I got the legs sorted out and the calf out but too late. I’m furious with myself there was no need to lose that calf. Great big red heifer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

squinn2912 wrote: »
    A loss here last night. Cow not making much progress so I took her in to handle her and the legs had bent, head overtaking them and jamming. I got the legs sorted out and the calf out but too late. I’m furious with myself there was no need to lose that calf. Great big red heifer.

I'm in the same boat here my cow that was putting her calf bed out called. Checked her last night going to bed nothing up this morning at 4. I foot out other bent back pulled calf dead and the other twin dead also.

DRive you man wouldn’t it. I put another girl jnlast night and no progress this morning. I handled her and I was a mile too early. Tail back down a bit now and she’s feeding away etc with no sign of calving. Just hope I did no harm

Hard to get the timing right all the time, sucks when you get it arseways. I'd def prefer to handle too early than too late though, you won't cause any harm to the cow & lets yourself have a bit more peace of mind.

Had a six year old cow calve here five hours ago, perfectly normal calving and pretty quick too, Sim bull calf up and sucking half an hour after birth.

The cow hasnt passed the cleaning yet and is lying down with her tail out pressing a bit. She's not too happy looking. Havent seen this happen before. How much longer would you leave her before handling her?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Handle now and check for twin.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Going to dry off cow that lots the twins. She has a big bag of milk do I just need to get tubes for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

tanko wrote: »
    Had a six year old cow calve here five hours ago, perfectly normal calving and pretty quick too, Sim bull calf up and sucking half an hour after birth.

The cow hasnt passed the cleaning yet and is lying down with her tail out pressing a bit. She's not too happy looking. Havent seen this happen before. How much longer would you leave her before handling her?

Well any update?

Yeah, cow cleaned an hour ago. Chewing her cud now, all good, no twins.

Back to winning ways tonight with a nice lively black lim heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Found a 19 month old heifer making an attempt to cAlve in the field this morning. Brought her home. Had the dinner and fair play to her she calved herself!

• Advertisement

Found a 19 month old heifer making an attempt to cAlve in the field this morning. Brought her home. Had the dinner and fair play to her she calved herself!

Triplets, fair play to her indeed!!!

Haha!
    Our heifer did all the work too. She perfectly timed everything to allow me to watch the Liverpool game. I just pulled the last of the hind legs and woke the calf up round 11. Nice black bb calf to a lim heifer. Well happy.
    On a wee break away with the other half now just woke from a nap

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Nice uneventful run of calvings here. Down to 9 and all with an easy calving Angus.

Calf just born here 30 mins ago, might get it up on it's feet and assist suckling so I can go to bed.

Angus2018 wrote: »
    Nice uneventful run of calvings here. Down to 9 and all with an easy calving Angus.

Calf just born here 30 mins ago, might get it up on it's feet and assist suckling so I can go to bed.

That’s good work. You reckon there’s much need with the angus? 9/10 times I would be for bed if all looks right and let him figure out how to get up himself! 5 to go here just off the phone to home; nothing tonight.

There isn't with Angus and the cow was on meal, lick and silage the last few days so the calf is full of energy. I do it just for peace of mind mostly since I'm up. I nice to know it's standing, got its beestings and the navel has been iondined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

.... My last clow left is 'showing the reed' as ye call it too. Only second calver and don't want to get rid of her. Have a feeling she's carrying twins.

This girl calved last night. No twins, average to large sized bull only. Cow looks very empty too. Calving over for the year. Went well enough. Only had to pull one calf and that was one that came backwards and I lost. Heifer, not cow, so not so bad overall. Good shape to all the calves too. You can see the ardlea dan (ADX) influence carrying through from the bull. He's sired by him.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Well done, good to be finished I'd say and in time for the change in weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

This girl calved last night. No twins, average to large sized bull only. Cow looks very empty too. Calving over for the year. Went well enough. Only had to pull one calf and that was one that came backwards and I lost. Heifer, not cow, so not so bad overall. Good shape to all the calves too. You can see the ardlea dan (ADX) influence carrying through from the bull. He's sired by him.

Finished with a month here too. 18 calfs from 17 cows. Pulled 6 of them. Good end result. Biggest problem was 1st calfers

Advertisement