Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2018 - Advise and Help thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Who2

finished here today, one loss on a red limo heifer that was in fact a blue by sfl when i checked here breeding. got him out alive with a struggle but the heifer slipped and fell on him later that night. im still kicking myself over it. No scours so to speak of and no real hassle thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

20 from 21 here with 1 left to go in 6wks. Lost 1st one, caught at hips. Was a monster out of stock bull for some unknown reason. Same Cow calved him with no prob last yr. All fine then up to last 2.. section on a4th calver as she never dilated and then a second calver put her vessel out after calving a small heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Some cows can be strange like that, biggest cow on the farm had a tiny calf one year but the next was on one of the biggest that year.

Just about to head to bed here for some much needed rest and I see a heifer running around with her tail up on the cameras. Moved her to the calving pens, no problems calving, she just lay down and push, calf up on its feet in 30 mins and assisted suckling with no kicking. Now if it only happened during the day where so don't lose half a nights sleep that would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

My eby heifer out of a blue cow that I was dreading calved early this morning, bull broke into her at 12mts old and only bulled her the once, couldn't believe my eyes as I was there to see it all, the smallest lmx heifer I have, said I'd take a chance on her if she held, i was dreading it. Checked her at 3am, no sign checked here again at 6am, a lovely marked heifer calf just trying to stand, delighted to say the least put the heifer in and she has a nice tidy bag of milk and she let the calf suck no problem, she was like an old pro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I totally jinxed myself the other night. Said to the vet that I never had a cow prolapse. What did she do 5 minutes later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I totally jinxed myself the other night. Said to the vet that I never had a cow prolapse. What did she do 5 minutes later?

The crossword in the journal? :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

vet was saying today that they did nearly 30 sections on one farm this spring :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

whelan2 wrote: »
    vet was saying today that they did nearly 30 sections on one farm this spring :eek:

Out of how many calves? What bull?

Something serious wrong with management there with that number regardless of the bull.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Out of how many calves? What bull?

Something serious wrong with management there with that number regardless of the bull.

He just said totally wrong bull choice and some other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭High bike

and a vets bill in the region of 9000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Personally I hate twins. Almost always trouble. Safer with a good single.

I had a cow years ago that had twins and shortly after I was driving the tractor past the shed when I heard a calf roaring in distress. I quickly went into the shed to find the calfs mother lying by on top of the calf trying to smother it. I managed to save the calf even though it almost had the life squeezed out of it. Try telling that to stupid vegans and they won't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Who2

I think i know the farm whelan, they have massive numbers but most was down to previous management if its the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

That photo doesn't do Mickie D justice.

Who2 wrote: »
    I think i know the farm whelan, they have massive numbers but most was down to previous management if its the same place.

Ye he did say something about management too. Some extra work load though

Calf is eventually drinking the cow by himself. Let them out today

I'm speechless, that is mental. Poor vet must have been dreading every night shift knowing he'd likely get a call out. Calving season can get very tough for us farmers so you have to hand it to vets for what they have to do. When I put my head down to sleep I know here's a very small chance of a problem and im confident enough at solving most of them now but for a vet they are only getting called out for a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Angus2018 wrote: »
    I'm speechless, that is mental. Poor vet must have been dreading every night shift knowing he'd likely get a call out. Calving season can get very tough for us farmers so you have to hand it to vets for what they have to do. When I put my head down to sleep I know here's a very small chance of a problem and im confident enough at solving most of them now but for a vet they are only getting called out for a serious problem.

Biggest issue is lads going to far before calling the vet. If you know your bet just call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

How to lads manage feeding cows pre calving? Cut back in silage and give hay if you have it for the last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

How to lads manage feeding cows pre calving? Cut back in silage and give hay if you have it for the last month?

Restricted silage and minerals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Biggest issue is lads going to far before calling the vet. If you know your bet just call them.

^ Was just about to say that. There's a lot of cattle lost because folk don't or won't ring for a vet because they cost too much. One live calf would pay a lot of vet visits! Funnily enough Dad rings the vet far quicker than me most times but he's warier now of handling the cows with his Parkinsons so suppose he learned to be more cautious when I was away.
    There's a fine balance between being too cautious and knowing when you're going to be beat before you try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just bk up from the yard after a bad news story. Cow lying heeled up with tetany. Only saw her this evening but she could have been gone from morning. Gutted she was one of the last my grand uncle owned. Access to silage and a lick bucket and getting meal with mag every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Just bk up from the yard after a bad news story. Cow lying heeled up with tetany. Only saw her this evening but she could have been gone from morning. Gutted she was one of the last my grand uncle owned. Access to silage and a lick bucket and getting meal with mag every day.

Milky cow?

Milky cow?

Fairly good that way yea. Calved 9 weeks I think. Group let into fresh grass on Sunday unless that brought it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Feeding calves here giving 3litres milk replacer twice daily to fresian bulls and herefords freisians look very full after their feed but the herefords seem empty .. should i be feeding more to the herefords?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mf310 wrote: »
    Feeding calves here giving 3litres milk replacer twice daily to fresian bulls and herefords freisians look very full after their feed but the herefords seem empty .. should i be feeding more to the herefords?

Are they in one group? Split out the ones you think look empty and feed the groups separately and see how long they take to finish it. It's possible the fr may be drinking faster. Plenty water straw and crunch as well

Fairly good that way yea. Calved 9 weeks I think. Group let into fresh grass on Sunday unless that brought it on?

It wouldn't be bloat? Temperature not as cold now, wouldn't have thought of tetany

Yes, you have to learn yours and the cows limits. A dead calf is worth nothing to you and you've just housed and feed a cow for the whole winter for nothing so one live calf is worth several vet visits.

I do the opposite, I'll feed hay most of the winter to keep their size down and supplement a lick 5-7 weeks before calving, thinner cows and second time calves will be on silage all winter. Then 2 weeks before calving I'll put them on silage to get their udders up. then if I know their date I'll move them to a calving pen and give meal 2-3 days before hand so they get their energy up and most importantly the calf gets its energy up.

In-calf heifers will be let out to grass for 2-3 weeks before housing again to build up strength in their legs and lose the build up of fat around their backend which can cause trouble at calving. That wasn't possible this year however.

It wouldn't be bloat? Temperature not as cold now, wouldn't have thought of tetany

WOuld fresh grass be a cause for tetany? What would have caused her to bloat?

WOuld fresh grass be a cause for tetany? What would have caused her to bloat?

I dont know. Maybe ask knackery to have a look. Is it lush grass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I dont know. Maybe ask knackery to have a look. Is it lush grass?

It would have to be either grass tetany or then milk fever depending on how long after calving and if she's a fat cow.
    The bloating just comes as a result of not being able to sit up being flat out.

It's still fairly cold out and big grass uptakes of nitrogen and if there's high potash and low phosphorus in the soil can bring it on.

Advertisement