Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card fried?

Options
  • 21-02-2018 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm having serious problems with my pc.
    When I boot it up I get the image below.

Then it just goes black.
    The monitor is still picking up a signal but nothing is appearing on the screen.
    I tried rebooting with the HDMI cable inserted into the integrated graphics card and I don't get the image below I just get no signal at all.

I checked for loose wires. Tried a different pci slot for the card and still nothing. Any idea guys? Can't even go onto bios.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Ok after rebooting several times I now got this picture below.

I entered my password and everything looks normal but the start up screen is all messed up looking. I know this will keep causing me problems until I get it sorted

Any ideas ?

Forgot to add pic 2nd post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Looks more like the screen is damaged but on phone so not great view of the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, that kind of artificating is not atypical for a failing GPU.

Take the GPU out then insert the HDMI into the onboard if you actually have onboard.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Looks more like the screen is damaged but on phone so not great view of the pics

The monitor is perfect, abit dirty but no cracks or damage at all.
    I am using my pc right now as I type this and everything is fine, its like nothing has happened at all, but i know when i turn it off tonight and back on tomorrow, i will have the same problem again with a black screen all messed up until i enter my password.
    ED E wrote: »

Take the GPU out then insert the HDMI into the onboard if you actually have onboard.
    tried all that, just a black screen still :/

if you see the 2nd pic, when i enter my password and windows 7 loads up, everything is fine and back to normal, its like nothing was wrong with it.
    But it only seems to be an issue on booting up my pc, sometimes i get a black screen and have to keep restarting, others a cracked looking screen.
    Its been like this the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

After you successfully log in go through the video settings .... correct driver and settings?

Have you tried a different operating system on that machine & monitor?

Doing so might help to narrow down the problem ..... hardware or software.

Maybe a Linux live OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    The monitor is perfect, abit dirty but no cracks or damage at all.
    I am using my pc right now as I type this and everything is fine, its like nothing has happened at all, but i know when i turn it off tonight and back on tomorrow, i will have the same problem again with a black screen all messed up until i enter my password.

tried all that, just a black screen still :/

if you see the 2nd pic, when i enter my password and windows 7 loads up, everything is fine and back to normal, its like nothing was wrong with it.
    But it only seems to be an issue on booting up my pc, sometimes i get a black screen and have to keep restarting, others a cracked looking screen.
    Its been like this the last week.

Could still be a monitor problem. From the pics (looking at them on a proper screeen now) it looks more like there was an impact on the screen. From the white lines to the splotchy colours points to monitor damage. Can you test it on another computer/laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ED E viewpost.gif

tried all that, just a black screen still

Not clear here
    I tried rebooting with the HDMI cable inserted into the integrated graphics card and I don't get the image below I just get no signal at all.
    Can you confirm - you have completely removed GPU and then tested on-board graphics? Or check settings in BIOS to enable both(if option)

Advertisement